Options

Space Week Live

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
Forum Member
Is anyone else looking forward to watching this on Channel 4 next week? I think it will be very interesting, especially the last programme which will be 2 and a half hours of live coverage from the ISS. I'm going to Houston in November and plan to go to the Johnson Space Centre so it will be interesting to see what goes on behind the scenes.

Comments

• Options
    AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am really looking forward to that, I am old enough to remember the thrill of the Apollo missions, can`t wait. Space is fascinating.
  • Options
    StaffsyeomanStaffsyeoman Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am really looking forward to it - and the supporting web site is very good - but I am infuriated by that irritating trailer with an astronaut riding the rocket to the tune of "Silver Machine". Obviously inspired by the bit in Space Cowboys where Tommy Lee Jones is fired at the Moon, but annoying in great measure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just looked at the website, I agree it is very good apart from the trailer video.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This looks interesting to will be watching both
    http://natgeotv.com/uk/cosmos-a-spacetime-odyssey
  • Options
    ukbadgeukbadge Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    Is that the one being presented/ruined by that knob Dermot O'Leary!
  • Options
    wildwestwaleswildwestwales Posts: 329
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to all three programmes but especially Sunday's live from the ISS. My late husband was a fan of all things related to Nasa and the Space Programme. I uploaded his picture when Nasa did their Face in Space and it went on Space Shuttle Discovery to the ISS, a wonderful moment for me. I follow the ISS on heavens_above website.
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Footage from the ISS of the aftermath of 9/11 is going to be shown during the Astronauts: Houston We Have a Problem documentary.

Astronaut who filmed it happened to be friends with one of the pilots.

Apparently the footage in its entirety has never been shown before....includes commentary from astronaut Frank Culbertson who plays a bugle call in honour of his friend
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    Can someone please post a full dates and times when programmes are on so that we don't miss anything?

Looking forward to this very much.

I hope it's better than Gravity. (Well it couldn't be worse than Gravity as that's impossible)
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Can someone please post a full dates and times when programmes are on so that we don't miss anything?

ASTRONAUTS: LIVING IN SPACE

Wed 12 March, 9pm, Channel 4

Here for the first time, filmed by themselves and in their own words, is the incredible story of three astronauts, Rick Mastracchio, Koichi Wakata, and Mike Hopkins. This film follows their out-of-this-world experiences of living in space, from eating, sleeping and science experiments to the consequences of a broken valve which could threaten their very presence on the International Space Station.
    Astronauts: Houston We Have a Problem

ASTRONAUTS: HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM

Thur 13 March, 9pm, Channel 4

Featuring specially-shot behind-the-scenes footage of the work of NASA's Mission Control in Houston, combined with unseen images from spacewalks and candid first-hand testimony, we show what happens when missions go wrong and how the ground team respond to keep the astronauts safe in space.

LIVE FROM SPACE: LAP OF THE PLANET

Sun 16 March, 730pm, Channel 4

Broadcasting live from the Johnson Space Centre, Houston, Texas, the show, presented by Dermot O'Leary, will feature amazing shots of the Earth from the International Space Station as it performs an entire circuit of the globe over 90 minutes as well as revealing the extraordinary science experiments conducted by the astronauts of Expedition 38.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will take a look though not optimistic with Channel 4's recent record and this does not help - 'presented by Dermot O'Leary'.
  • Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is it billed as "Space Week" when it doesn't start till Wednesday? :confused:
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    AZZURRI 06 wrote: »
    I am really looking forward to that, I am old enough to remember the thrill of the Apollo missions, can`t wait. Space is fascinating.

Many years ago I went to Florida, saw a space shuttle launch and did a tour of the Kennedy space center.

Fantastic time, they had a mock up of the Apollo control room and you watch it come to life as they go through a mock Apollo launch.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    I will take a look though not optimistic with Channel 4's recent record and this does not help - 'presented by Dermot O'Leary'.

You are joking? Can't they find a scientist or astronaut to present it? Channel 4 really are full of arty farty types.
  • Options
    patricia50patricia50 Posts: 3,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's nothing wrong with Dermot O'Leary. Why all the hate. I find him very inoffensive so don't get it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Many years ago I went to Florida, saw a space shuttle launch and did a tour of the Kennedy space center.

Fantastic time, they had a mock up of the Apollo control room and you watch it come to life as they go through a mock Apollo launch.

I always wanted to see a shuttle take off but never got round to it, the chaplain at the boarding school that I was at happened to be visiting Disney World on the day Challenger exploded and saw it happen which cannot have been very nice to witness.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    patricia50 wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with Dermot O'Leary. Why all the hate. I find him very inoffensive so don't get it.

I agree there's nothing wrong with him, surprised they didn't get someone with a bit of knowledge on the subject though, Piers Sellers maybe?
  • Options
    ukbadgeukbadge Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    patricia50 wrote: »

Mainly because he is a crap presenter, and will belittle the seriousness of the programme.
  • Options
    StaffsyeomanStaffsyeoman Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Lucky.... so and so.... my other half organised a trip to Florida to see a Shuttle launch for my 40th. The week before we left the launch was postponed.. it would have cost almost as much as the holiday to rearrange, so we went anyway: and the launch was held for two months in any event. We did KSC... twice.. The second time they had the "lunch with an astronaut", where there would be an interview in the cafeteria. When I was there, it was Jean-Loup Chretien*, and it was clear that nobody in the crowd had a clue who he was... Got a handshake and an autograph!

No particular hate for Dermot O'Leary here - but agree that they could surely have come up with someone more directly appropriate. We're not exactly short of TV astronomers at the moment...

*French astronaut; first Western European in space; first man to go to the Soviet space station Salyut and fly in the Shuttle.
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Astronauts Livign In Space pt 1 on air now.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bloody dermot o 'dreary im going to record it now and skip through his bits
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    I'm watching this, won't be posting though.

Grinning like I've lost the plot.
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Japanese and Americans, talkative.

Russians, keeping to themselves.

Interesting, but not unexpected.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you can view it here most the time to
    http://www.ustream.tv/channel/live-iss-stream
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is that where they filmed 2001, on that space-station ?

Anyway, they should have a garden and grow plants, for food and oxygen, if they are ever to build a moon-base or mission to Mars.
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    petertard wrote: »
    Is that where they filmed 2001, on that space-station ?

Anyway, they should have a garden and grow plants, for food and oxygen, if they are ever to build a moon-base or mission to Mars.

Yes and then send it out into space and then change their minds and blow it all up killing Huey and Dewey for no good reason! >:(

;-)