My childhood has now become history

Danny_GirlDanny_Girl Posts: 2,763
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was born in 1964. I realised the other day that the way of life in the 60s thru early 80s when I was growing up is now so radically different to how we live today that I think it has become history.

The following are examples of how we lived then that kids today would not understand:

1) Only 3 TV channels and they shut down for an hour or to in the afternoon.
2) Queuing for the public phone box to phone your boyfriend.
3) No microwaves, no ready meals so food was cooked from scratch.
4) Frequent trips to the shops as only a single freezer self in a fridge.
5) Taping the top 40 on your cassette recorder from the radio on Sunday evenings.

Anyone else want to add something?

Comments

• valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    my childhood has become ancient history.

Rationing.
    Bomb sites.
    No TV or record player.
    One coal fire to heat the whole house.
    No fridge
    Walking 2 miles to school (and back)
    Hardly any traffic
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Born in 59, and the thing I miss the most is how quiet it could be on Sunday. I lived until I was 25 by the A13, and even so, Sundays were very quiet.
  • KittiaraKittiara Posts: 2,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Walkmans! You'd play a cassette so often that the tape would wear out and mess up your songs.

Record players weren't just for DJs. You'd save up for singles and LPs to play on them.

No computers. No Internet! :o I remember the introduction of little handheld games. The kids who had Donkey Kong were the envy of all!

The first house I lived in had no hot water and no radiators. Just a fireplace in the front room, and if you wanted a bath, you'd have to boil water on the stove and mix it with cold water to get it to the right temperature. Because this was quite a hassle, daily baths definitely weren't the done thing.

I was born in 1974, by the way.
  • Danny_GirlDanny_Girl Posts: 2,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    my childhood has become ancient history.

Rationing.
    Bomb sites.
    No TV or record player.
    One coal fire to heat the whole house.
    No fridge
    Walking 2 miles to school (and back)
    Hardly any traffic

LOL - kids today don't know how lucky they are - it really is another world isn't it.

Oh, another one. Had my mouth washed out with soap and water (yes literally washed out) by my teacher when I was 6 years old for using the word "bloody" that I had heard my older sister saying. Did my parents contact the education authorities, media, headmaster, lawyers - no, they just told me to stop crying and not to use the word again at school. As I said a hole different world back then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Using a pencil to wind a cassette tape back in that had become twisted. A niche skill that is now lost on the youth of today.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Danny_Girl wrote: »
    Using a pencil to wind a cassette tape back in that had become twisted. A niche skill that is now lost on the youth of today.

That reminds me of the dreadful feeling you'd get when your video player "ate" your video tape. This was especially dreadful if you'd rented it.

And the annoyance of renting a video and the previous renter hadn't bothered to rewind it >:(.
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, born in 1959 here, so I've lived in 7 decades. :eek:

I remember the freedom you had as kids to go off anywhere you liked on your bike, as long as you were back for supper.
    Plus I remember the rattly old school bus, that looked like it was built in the mid fifties (probably was).
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Born in the early 1950's and thinking about it, it sounds like it was a million years ago from what life is like today.

No car,
    no bathroom (we had a tin bath by the open fire),
    toilet was outside and we had to tip a bucket of water down it after use,
    No TV until I was four years old and then it was black and white and just one channel that was on at lunch time for Watch With Mother and then on again about 5 for children's hour and then evening programmes,
    No Mums and tots groups or anything like that for small children,
    No fridge, so only had ice cream occasionally,
    Old wooden gramophone (that's what a record player was called then) with a few old breakable 78rpm records to play on it,
    No central heating so the bedrooms were always cold,
    sweets still on ration for the first few years of my life,
    baby boys wearing dresses until they were about a year old,
    no telephone,
    no washing machine (mum had to use a boiler and a mangle),
    no hot water from a tap, (a kettle had to be boiled for hot water),
    photos all black and white.

Must be loads more, but it's late and time to go to bed now. No wonder my son says I was born in the middle ages! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kittiara wrote: »
    That reminds me of the dreadful feeling you'd get when your video player "ate" your video tape. This was especially dreadful if you'd rented it.

And the annoyance of renting a video and the previous renter hadn't bothered to rewind it >:(.

Yes, remember that feeling. Do you also remember when how when you were taping the top 20 on a Sunday night on your cassette reorder from the radio, without fail your parents would come into your bedroom and have a pointless conversation just when the number 1 single was being played.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, remember that feeling. Do you also remember when how when you were taping the top 20 on a Sunday night on your cassette reorder from the radio, without fail your parents would come into your bedroom and have a pointless conversation just when the number 1 single was being played.

Haha yes! It was like they just knew, and you'd been waiting for it for ages!

Or just as the song came on that I'd been waiting to tape, the radio presenters would either start talking over it, or they'd fade it out early to go into a commercial/jingle.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The first house I lived in had no hot water and no radiators. Just a fireplace in the front room, and if you wanted a bath, you'd have to boil water on the stove and mix it with cold water to get it to the right temperature. Because this was quite a hassle, daily baths definitely weren't the done thing.

I was born in 1974, by the way.

Very similar to my childhood home except we were posh and had paraffin heaters for our house as well as the fireplace :p:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha yes! It was like they just knew, and you'd been waiting for it for ages!

Or just as the song came on that I'd been waiting to tape, the radio presenters would either start talking over it, or they'd fade it out early to go into a commercial/jingle.

Haha, you would sit there for aaaaages with your finger on the pause button ready to press it when they started talking!
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    Outside toilets and consequent indoor arrangements.
    Not having BBC 2.
    Not having a telephone.
    Going to the train station on the day, buying a ticket and getting to where you were going without having to do research first.
  • DanniLaMoneDanniLaMone Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »
    Not having BBC 2.
    Not having a telephone.
    Going to the train station on the day, buying a ticket and getting to where you were going without having to do research first.

the good old days eh? ;-)
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    I was born in 1966

No bathroom when I was small, a tin bath was dragged in, and our toilet was in the kitchen! 4 of us lived in 3 rooms.kitchen, bedroom,lounge which doubled up as my parents bedroom. I loved it when we moved from there.
    3 channels on the ( black and white)telly.

In our next home we had no central heating, in fact, hardly any heating at all, we would go to bed all dressed up and with out coats thrown on the bed , and had ice on the inside of the windows when we got up, it was a mad dash downstairs to huddle in front of the one ( gas) fire in the house.

We would go out to play and not come back until we were hungry, as we got older we would ride for miles on our bikes home made go carts that we steered down the steep road, to the bottom

Penny sweets, jamboree bags
  • Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    Haha, you would sit there for aaaaages with your finger on the pause button ready to press it when they started talking!
    Yes - every time I hear Sometimes When We Touch now, I expect to hear Simon Bates at the end saying "Dan Hill.....suffering from static" as he did the day I recorded it! :D
  • DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sitting in school in our coats because the heating had broken, with a good couple of feet of snow outside.

These days the school is shut at the first hint of a snowflake.
  • droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember that when it was sunny our teachers got us to take our desks outside and we had lessons sitting in the sunshine in the playground.

Health and Safety would preclude these days I guess.
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOL - kids today don't know how lucky they are

And kids today will be saying that about the next generation.
  • MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL - kids today don't know how lucky they are - it really is another world isn't it.

Oh, another one. Had my mouth washed out with soap and water (yes literally washed out) by my teacher when I was 6 years old for using the word "bloody" that I had heard my older sister saying. Did my parents contact the education authorities, media, headmaster, lawyers - no, they just told me to stop crying and not to use the word again at school. As I said a hole different world back then.

Yes, I was severely reprimanded for saying 'bum,' shut-up,' and 'idiot.' Soap wash or spoon of mustard.
    A whole different world, also if a teacher told you off and you told your parents, parents were mortified by your behaviour, they didn't go to the DM.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »
    Not having BBC 2.
    Not having a telephone.

We didn't get a landline put in until I was about 7 but our neighbours had one - I remember having to phone them and wait whilst they knocked on our door to get my mum or dad to the phone :o.

When we did have a phone put it, whenever we went anywhere we had to give mum '2rings' to let her know we got there ok :D
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This thread has turned into the Four Yorkshiremen sketch. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was born in 1964. I realised the other day that the way of life in the 60s thru early 80s when I was growing up is now so radically different to how we live today that I think it has become history.
    I realised that several years ago when the BBC ran a documentary on Margaret Thatcher and felt it necessary to point out in the trailer that she was once Prime Minister. This was prolly in the early 'naughties' and it just struck me that a lot of people probably didn't know anything about her and suddenly I felt old.

No doubt you remember the Falkands war. That was 30 years ago. As you look back at that think about the fact that to your parents when you were at school they might have had similar memories about World War II.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Pubs shutting in the afternoons for a couple of hours, 3-5:30pm
    Pubs shutting for longer in the afternoons on Sundays. 3-7pm.
    Pubs shutting a bit on Bank Holidays too, especially Good Friday, which was 'Sunday hours'.

Shops shut on a Sunday and sometimes a Wednesday afternoon.
  • The FinisherThe Finisher Posts: 10,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked that there were no phones, you could disappear for hours without having anyone on your back. It was great that you could hop school without getting a phone call home within 10 minutes of missing registration. All you had to do was intercept the ensuing letters posted to your home :D

Also loved my portable record player that I could take to one room, play a record and then move it to another room to play another for no other reason than I could.