I'm going to the dentist after 7 years? What will they do?

O-JO-J Posts: 18,846
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi guys,

I haven't been to the dentists in 7 years or so, as I haven't had any problems, till now,
I seem to be getting bad breath all of a sudden,
I wanted to see if they were still fine, I have my first appointment tomorrow, its on the NHS,

I have to pay £18.50, I asked them over the phone, will it include a scale and polish, and they said no, they will take xrays and check my teeth and what not,

I looked on the NHS website, and it covers everything I should need on band one,

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/dentists/Pages/nhs-dental-charges.aspx

I'm a bit confused, and £18.50 is a lot to me, I haven't in in a long time, and I was expecting they would at least give it a good deep clean!

I feel that it won't be money well spent, and I might have to pay another fee to get it cleaned!

Comments

• SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    benbenalen wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I haven't been to the dentists in 7 years or so, as I haven't had any problems, till now,
    I wanted to see if they were still fine, I have my first appointment tomorrow, its on the NHS,

I have to pay £18.50, I asked them over the phone, will it include a scale and polish, and they said no, they will take xrays and check my teeth and what not,

I looked on the NHS website, and it covers everything I should need on band one,

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/dentists/Pages/nhs-dental-charges.aspx

I'm a bit confused, and £18.50 is a lot to me, I haven't in in a long time, and I was expecting they would at least give it a good deep clean!

This place you are going to. Is it safe ?
  • christina83christina83 Posts: 11,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you'll get the X-rays tomorrow, I'm with the NHS and my dentist is brilliant I don't know how I did without him. My dentist usually does all the routine checks every 6months, and every 2years I get an X-ray.
    I had a scale and polish once but I think I paid a little more for this.
  • O-JO-J Posts: 18,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »

I have no idea, its located in the town centre in the public eye, they also have a website!

The receptionist said, the dentist will just check it for £18.50, then they will tell me whats wrong and how many appointments I will need to book after, and he will discuss a payment plan or something! :confused:
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi guys,

I feel that it won't be money well spent, and I might have to pay another fee to get it cleaned!

£18.50 is bugger all in terms of dentistry and I'm amazed that price includes X-Rays!

I remember.. like.. 10 years ago a standard check-up and clean was a good £30-40 although I haven't been into a dentist since I was 16 so maybe they've become more competitive :D
  • christina83christina83 Posts: 11,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    £18.50 is bugger all in terms of dentistry and I'm amazed that price includes X-Rays!

I remember.. like.. 10 years ago a standard check-up and clean was a good £30-40 although I haven't been into a dentist since I was 16 so maybe they've become more competitive :D

Nah, that £18.50 is that flat rate for category 1 NHS patients, if more treatment is needed e.g crowns etc the category and amount goes up. I know all of this because I really want a brace and have studied it for ages, lol.

Some dentists are menaces though (private ones) I joined one once and had to pay a joining fee which was £60 and other costs on top :o
  • O-JO-J Posts: 18,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will I still have to pay if I just turn up and ask more questions, and do not go through with it? I would have phoned them before to ask, but I didn't really think much of it then!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nah, that £18.50 is that flat rate for category 1 NHS patients, if more treatment is needed e.g crowns etc the category and amount goes up. I know all of this because I really want a brace and have studied it for ages, lol.

Some dentists are menaces though (private ones) I joined one once and had to pay a joining fee which was £60 and other costs on top :o

I dunno whether I was NHS or not. I was under 16 so I presume my parents received at least subsidised treatment for me.

All I remember is that just one trip to just clean my teeth cost about £35, and I was staggered as a child.

Obviously in hindsight as an adult, it's not a lot. You pay £35 to see a vet or a private doctor for only 10 minutes.
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    I dunno whether I was NHS or not. I was under 16 so I presume my parents received at least subsidised treatment for me.

All I remember is that just one trip to just clean my teeth cost about £35, and I was staggered as a child.

Obviously in hindsight as an adult, it's not a lot. You pay £35 to see a vet or a private doctor for only 10 minutes.

I thought it was free for children?
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have no idea, its located in the town centre in the public eye, they also have a website!

The receptionist said, the dentist will just check it for £18.50, then they will tell me whats wrong and how many appointments I will need to book after, and he will discuss a payment plan or something! :confused:

If the dentist asks you if it is safe, run out of the door.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Resonance wrote: »
    I thought it was free for children?

No idea. It may not have been via NHS - like I say, it was a long time ago, I just assumed it would have been.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,373
    Forum Member
    After 7 years, they'll need a blowtorch.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will I still have to pay if I just turn up and ask more questions, and do not go through with it? I would have phoned them before to ask, but I didn't really think much of it then!

You're wasting everyone's time, your own included, if you "just turn up and ask questions and not go through with it". You've booked an appointment for a check-up. Either turn up and have it done, or cancel your appointment so it can be offered to someone else who would be more grateful for it.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but stop procrastinating. Just go and get assessed. Only then will you have any idea of what you require and how much it will cost.

Look at it this way. You haven't been for dental treatment for SEVEN years and you're moaning about whether a fee now of £18.50 is good value or not. Let's say, for sake of argument, you're told your bill is going to be £219 (which is the highest band for NHS treatment). That means it's cost you the equivalent of just over thirty quid for every year you haven't been in order to get your teeth healthy again. It's very good value. I bet you pay more than that for your internet connection, or your mobile phone, or for alcohol, or for an MOT for your car, or for any number of other non essential items you could name. Your teeth are important. They should take priority.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It sounds likely they'll remove all your teeth and replace them with compressed cotton wool teeth which'll rub together and squeak a lot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    If you are worried about getting HIV from a barber's razor then going to the dentist means you run the risk of Ebola, Dengue Haemorrhagic Fever and being asked to open wide.
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    What will they do after 7 years?!?

Possibly quite a lot....
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You don't have to be in pain to have a bad tooth, I didn't go to the Dentist for several years and was in shock when they told me a couple of teeth had to come out. If you do just need a scale and polish then consider yourself lucky and make sure you keep your next appointment.

I think it may be £18 per appointment, if you have it all done in one day you get the one charge. I just switched back to an NHS dentist and they are great, private cost me £50 for a scale and polish.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »

I just don't think he's seen the film, Sulla.:D
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi guys,

You've been before, you know the drill......

>>>>>>coat, door :blush:
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member

Yes, you'll have to pay and the surgery will more than likely blacklist you.

If you miss two appointments within a year at my NHS surgery, they strike you off.

If I were you, I'd go private. You can ask as many questions as you like. Their cancellation fee will be so big, that you'll definitely have the treatment.
  • radyagradyag Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In Scotland it's all free! I've never paid all my life.
  • Bobbity-booBobbity-boo Posts: 974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    radyag wrote: »

Really? Where's that?
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this is a case for the piledriver attachment. These are controversial because Dentists get RSI from them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry to tell you this, but they will pull all your teeth out and make you purchase a pair of dentures :D
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    radyag wrote: »

No it isn't. Exams are free in Scotland, but you still have to pay fees unless you fall into the category of being exempt.

http://www.scottishdental.org/index.aspx?o=1923

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2011/01/25085008/1

If your statement about never paying is true, either you are exempt, or you've only ever needed exams, or your dentist has been making a mistake all your life and hasn't been getting paid for the work he or she has done on you.
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How on earth could it not be money well spent, for a highly skilled professional to check everything is ok with your teeth and reassure you?

If you think £18.50 is a lot you should try going private.