Christmas Ident 2014

Aaron_CardwellAaron_Cardwell Posts: 211
Forum Member
Granted, posting in May is a little bit keen but what would you like to see from BBC, ITV and other broadcasters this Christmas?

What has worked in the past?
What hasn't?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOQmw7M-TEc <-- The traditional

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kXvs0aKSt0 <-- The Commercial

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eIJ4HTRQ5s <-- and the damn right strange

Comments

• CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sooner see the money spent on idents spent on better shows over Christmas. Idents rates zero points to my viewing enjoyment.
  • DarthGoreDarthGore Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the only Christmas "advert" that matters is the Coca-Cola truck..... anything else is a waste of time

nobody watches BBC1 or ITV at Christmas and thinks "WOW!!! I've just seen an amazing Christmas ident, I MUST now watch this channel no matter what!"

if there's nothing on that I'm interested in, I'm not watching on the off-chance I'll find something to entertain me, that's what I have on-demand/DVDs and games for
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...a little keen? We're not even half way through the year yet
  • Aaron_CardwellAaron_Cardwell Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    Half way through the year..
    Let the speculation begin! haha
    Forum Member
    ...a little keen? We're not even half way through the year yet

it's over half way through the year.. can I get excited yet? :)
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will just be the normal idents with snow on BBC1, BBC2 will rerun last years.
    Forum Member
    It will just be the normal idents with snow on BBC1, BBC2 will rerun last years.

Surely they can't recycle the same theme.. for a third year :O
    I'd love to see something NEW and EXCITING.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely they can't recycle the same theme.. for a third year :O
    I'd love to see something NEW and EXCITING.

Seriously I rather they spend more on the programmes then a ident.
    Forum Member
    Seriously I rather they spend more on the programmes then a ident.

That's an interesting point..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is surprising that some people obviously lead such boring lives that they can find interested what some TV ident is for months ahead. I am even more surprised that anyone can find any interest in any TV ident at any time of year.

What the ident looks like is not going to affect the programme shown or improve the viewing experience of the same in any way.

Perhaps the BBC can save money transmitting a channel over the Christmas period showing idents 24/7 instead of spending money on producing programmes to entertain us;)
  • leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    It is surprising that some people obviously lead such boring lives that they can find interested what some TV ident is for months ahead. I am even more surprised that anyone can find any interest in any TV ident at any time of year.

What the ident looks like is not going to affect the programme shown or improve the viewing experience of the same in any way.

Perhaps the BBC can save money transmitting a channel over the Christmas period showing idents 24/7 instead of spending money on producing programmes to entertain us;)
    Yes some do lead sad lives when they are speculating on a christmas ident which will be shite on all mainstream channels. But it seems that the BBC stopped being serious about christmas idents and even their main ones after the 1997 election which lead to the BBC globe being phased out and their lovein with all things red.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
    Forum Member

Not meaning to be rude, but do you not get out much or something? Sorry, but I don't understand people who are so obsessed with Christmas their entire lives appear to revolve around it.
  • pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Of course you can. Go for it.

Never understand these people that claim dislike for a thread topic, yet open it, read it and even post on it.

If you don't like, don't understand or have no interest in a thread, don't read it, don't open it. Ignore it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pedrok wrote: »

Never understand these people that claim dislike for a thread topic, yet open it, read it and even post on it.

If you don't like, don't understand or have no interest in a thread, don't read it, don't open it. Ignore it.

This is a discussion forum believe it or not.

I do not like religion, for instance, so cannot I post in threads about religion and give my point of view. I am interested on other people's views about it.

I (and others) find it fascinating that people are interested in some TV Christmas logo or what the design of Christmas TV Times look like months ahead, or what films and programmes will be showing, it does smack of the term "get a life"

I reply to threads where the title appears interesting to me not whether I like or support the subject or not and this happens to be one of them
    Forum Member
    Caxton wrote: »

There is absolutely no need to be rude, I can assure you I have a very exciting life and I enjoy the feedback from people who share positive opinions, If you don't agree with this forum then that's fine, you don't have to comment but please don't be rude.

Happy posting :)
    Forum Member
    Tatyana wrote: »
    Not meaning to be rude, but do you not get out much or something? Sorry, but I don't understand people who are so obsessed with Christmas their entire lives appear to revolve around it.

This is something that I enjoy doing, I have a life and this is a part of it. My life doesn't resolve around Christmas, but I am studying Media and I enjoy the technical and visual aspects of these idents, my first post shows a few examples of good idents. I hope this helps.
    Forum Member
    pedrok wrote: »

I enjoy the positive feedback on this thread and people are entitled to their own opinions, but I agree it makes no sense to be negative about something, it's easier to walk away.
    I hope you continue to enjoy and I look forward to your posts throughout the latter half of the year. :)
  • BatfinkBatfink Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    I have a life. In fact I have a very busy life, but threads such as this and the Xmas Radio Times Annual thread are just easy going, light hearted discussions which I actually enjoy engaing in.

Look at other threads on the forums, Big Brother, Reality TV etc.... I have no interest in these at all, but some do, and fair play to them.
    Forum Member
    Batfink wrote: »
    I have a life. In fact I have a very busy life, but threads such as this and the Xmas Radio Times Annual thread are just easy going, light hearted discussions which I actually enjoy engaing in.

Look at other threads on the forums, Big Brother, Reality TV etc.... I have no interest in these at all, but some do, and fair play to them.

I appreciate the positive contributions to this page
  • Steveaki13Steveaki13 Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bet for certain we will have to see the ice skating penguins again. They seem to have recycled those some many years now.

I was only 7 when this was on, but I remember it and watching it since its one of my favourites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMzawe8t7ek

I also quite liked the 1997 series. featuring the 12 days of Christmas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS9KRdO1SwQ
  • pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Changing the subject slightly, I came across the following link from one of the above links.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3yf_lJtELI

BBC 1987 Christmas promos.

Given the recent sad death of Mike Smith, seeing him here, among the trailers, it strikes you just how many from these trailers are no longer with us.
  • BatfinkBatfink Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the link above. Some great stuff there from 1987.
    Still a time when the Xmas film was a big event.
  • zak_gzak_g Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    For itv I would love to seem them bring back something similar to their 2012 xmas idents, how I do miss itv1!
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With BBC2 reprising their brilliant idents of the 1990's, I am hoping that they will make use of their absolutely superb, and possibly best Christmas ident of all time, from 1993. Does anyone remember this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr2XStBaj3U
  • leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zak_g wrote: »
    For itv I would love to seem them bring back something similar to their 2012 xmas idents, how I do miss itv1!
    The first ITV christmas idents since their rebrand were terrible. Maybe broadcasters over here in england should look to ireland when considering their christmas idents.

UTV STV and RTE did a better job than what BBC and ITV did.