Options

The Armstrong Lie (on Now C4)

FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
Forum Member
✭✭
Very fascinating..

To some he's a hero to many the man is a disgrace.

But to see inside his man is interesting.

Comments

• Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    There seems to be a lot of hypocrisy in this sport.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure if this is a positive or negative documentary on lance, probably balanced.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well it's not really showing him in a positive light.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    He comes across as quite psychopathic.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cycling isnt the only sport riddled with drugs. Nobody bothers about the other sports, and nobody really bothers about cycling.

I reckon athletics is as riddled as it ever was.
  • Options
    1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There seems to be a lot of hypocrisy in this sport.

Its far from the only sport with a lot of hypocrites but its certainly one of the worst.
  • Options
    Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 10 minutes into the recording.

When does it get on to the staged moon landings :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cycling isnt the only sport riddled with drugs. Nobody bothers about the other sports, and nobody really bothers about cycling.

I reckon athletics is as riddled as it ever was.

Ofcourse. Its either that or we're meant to believe that despite not taking drugs they consistently get faster, stronger and run further than the people we know did take drugs and in some cases sprinters found guilty of doping were later faster when they were meant to be clean.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wow he's been banned for life for participating in any sport and the US postal Service are suing him for over $100 million.
  • Options
    DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He comes across as quite psychopathic.

Absoloutely, a genuine one too.

He has all the traits

Narcissistic
    Lack of empathy/remorse
    Desire to control
    Self delusion
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Davonator wrote: »

He has all the traits

Narcissistic
    Lack of empathy/remorse
    Desire to control
    Self delusion

You could say that about a lot of athletes.
  • Options
    shya100shya100 Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He has all the traits

Narcissistic
    Lack of empathy/remorse
    Desire to control
    Self delusion

You could say that about the majority of people in the public eye. How they try and portray themselves is not necessarily a representation of what they are actually like. Having said that Armstrong is a major d for what he did to people. I don't think that makes him a psychopath though... just a bad person ultimately.
  • Options
    tennismantennisman Posts: 4,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He has all the traits

Narcissistic
    Lack of empathy/remorse
    Desire to control
    Self delusion

What a nasty bastard he is.

Watched last night on BBC4 and nearly 3 hours tonight. Have also read Tyler Hamilton's book.

People wanted to believe the story but the reality was completely different. Many STILL want to believe it. Many will not like to admit they've been duped; even the film maker admitted to this.

His real danger is he is so good at the lying. You listen to him and he has a very clever way of positioning absolutely everything in his favour whether it's what he's done or what others have done.

As for the ethics of cycling, read William Fotheringham's book about Tom Simpson where what they were getting up to in the 50's and 60's before WADA etc was commonplace.

Tonight's film skipped over that as if they went straight from alcohol taken from bars on route to EPO in the mid 90's. That part was a bit shallow to say the least.

But just because Tommy S was alleged to be on the juice with all the others, it still doesn't absolve Armstrong.

We all want to believe that the current lot are all clean including our idols but someone in that Peleton tomorrow will be up to no good, one step ahead of the testers.

But having watched it all and said the above, why did he cross the line? For the same reasons that all the others have? Hamilton's book goes into how they all made the decision that once into the elite pro ranks, the only way to stay there, so they rationalised it, was to dope.
  • Options
    the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cycling isnt the only sport riddled with drugs.

So true. A lot of the gullible public treat cycling as a scapegoat but athletics and tennis are likely to be just as bad. The drug testing in tennis is a joke. Before anyone makes the "Tennis is a skill sport so doesn't benefit from doping" argument, let me just say that that is nonsense. There isn't a sport that exists that doesn't benefit from doping (even golf) because most of the positives of doping comes from the drugs allowing you to train longer and harder - even when you're doing gym work. Tyler Hamilton explains about this in his book, The Secret Race which is well worth a read.

It's 'cause of all this that I don't really take pro sport that seriously anymore and I certainly don't trust that the image top athletes present is who they really are.
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    The BBC 4 doc was even more scary tbh. It showed how far he would go to destroy the lives of the whistle blowers. I think there is something seriously wrong with him.
  • Options
    DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1Mickey wrote: »
    You could say that about a lot of athletes.

Maybe you're right, I read the Jon Ronson book recently (not saying that makes me an expert or anything :)) but for me it wasn't just that he had these traits, it was that his face and eyes were glazed over in such a cold robotic way when talking.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jake lyle wrote: »
    The BBC 4 doc was even more scary tbh. It showed how far he would go to destroy the lives of the whistle blowers. I think there is something seriously wrong with him.

Quite the potty mouth too.
  • Options
    GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,495
    Forum Member
    FusionFury wrote: »
    Not sure if this is a positive or negative documentary on lance, probably balanced.

He's a self confessed drugs cheat who tried to smear many innocent people to cover it up, he built up a fortune of $100million that should've gone to 'clean' riders and he repeatedly looked into a camera lens and lied his teeth off. How do you turn that into a positive without visiting the realms of fantasy?
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,077
    Forum Member
    The thought is in cycling at least they are trying to make sure everyone is clean with strong drugs/blood testing procedures which isn't always in the case in some sports..

I don't think there has been a greater fall from grace in the history of sport.

Armstrong was a hero for so many years to a lot of people but now must be one of the most disliked.

I feel sorry for those racing against him (who were clean..) really.

They never got a chance to achieve such heights thanks to this cheat.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    What's the big deal about him finding a way to win? Its only a bike race.its not that important.on his Facebook page,there's a link to an interesting recent interview showing what he's up to these days.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the big deal about him finding a way to win? Its only a bike race.its not that important...

Rilly....?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ is why.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jake lyle wrote: »
    Totally agree. I found it harder to follow who was who in last night's doc, the BBC4 one was fascinating. In retrospect I realise just how clever Oprah's interview was starting with the YES/NO questions. She probably got more out of him in those first few minutes than he was going to reveal.
    Very twisted character. I think Sport is riddled with doping but not a clue how you would eradicate it. Tennis is my passion but if any of the top ten had doped it would destroy my enjoyment of the game. :( Armstrong's cheating seems worse to me because of what a totally flawed, nasty person he was.
    What's the big deal about him finding a way to win? Its only a bike race.its not that important.on his Facebook page,there's a link to an interesting recent interview showing what he's up to these days.
    :confused: Are you kidding me? It's a huge deal. He defrauded millions from his sponsors and while his foundation has raised millions of dollars, to give people the hope that they could fight cancer and be 100x better than before is just so wrong.
  • Options
    tgabbertgabber Posts: 2,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it is pretty clear that during the 90s and early 2000s just about everyone was doping to some extent, it was just the case that Armstrong and his doctors were better at it than anyone else.

The real issue was how the sport and Armstrong decided to handle things when the climate changed. Instead of everyone holding their hands up and agreeing to a general amnesty so that there could be a new approach, Armstrong and his supporters lied and lied and lied, ruining other people's lives and reputations in the process.
  • Options
    Clarkie66Clarkie66 Posts: 5,892
    Forum Member
    tgabber wrote: »
    I think it is pretty clear that during the 90s and early 2000s just about everyone was doping to some extent, it was just the case that Armstrong and his doctors were better at it than anyone else.

The real issue was how the sport and Armstrong decided to handle things when the climate changed. Instead of everyone holding their hands up and agreeing to a general amnesty so that there could be a new approach, Armstrong and his supporters lied and lied and lied, ruining other people's lives and reputations in the process.

I completely agree. Since the Festina affair I tended to assume most of the cyclists were using drugs but Armstrong's attitude, lies, arrogance and treatment of those who questioned him was abhorrent and set him apart from the others.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haven't seen the BBC Storyville one yet but watched this CH4 one last night.

Armstrongs arrogance knows no bounds at all. It's nothing about 'wanting to win' or 'being the best' at all.....it's all about money. And not just Armstrong either. All his sponsors benefited not to mention a cycle manufacturing industry which went from a few million into a multi billion dollar empire.

The lengths he (and others) went to was staggering....even transfusing blood! :o

His ability to blatantly lie plus convince people to believe in him was worrying to say the least. And to think, his conceit and arrogance in wanting a last crack at the Tour de France proved his total end.