BB Posters Reunited and WELCOME to the lurkers! (Part 42)

Comments

• honeythewitchhoneythewitch Posts: 37,237
    Forum Member
    Hicky wrote: »
    The gas doesn't heat the room, it heats the water, very efficient.
    Wood or coal, makes little difference all the heat goes up the chimney.
    You can't really burn any old wood in a house, it wouldn't last 10 minutes.
    Yopu have to buy it.

How does the heat get into the room when the front is closed, it's only radiated or conducted, heat rises it doesn't go sideways, only a small percentage.:D

*curls lip like Rik from the young ones*
    What do you mean. you cant burn any old wood? Wood burns. If it runs out you get off your arse and collect more.
  • HickyHicky Posts: 50,488
    Forum Member
    JoJo4 wrote: »
    Our fire/stove (similar to Halla's below but double fronted) burns coal or wood, very efficient as you open the doors and the heat comes out into the room, nasty smoke goes up the chimney. Fuel is cheap as chips especially if you chop and transport it yourself.

Just be sure to replace choc in fridge - essential for revision. One year my daughter was taking her A levels and the boys their GCSEs - I became expert at walking on eggshells, making quick snacks and making myself scarce! There were also trips to school to retrieve 'essential' folders accidentally left at school, trips to the library for books/research and way more trips to supermarket to stock up on food:cool:
    I wonder why they have big Flue's, i wonder what goes up it, heat rises, it doesn't wanmt to go any other way.
    Air goes in to feed the flame, heat goes out the top, logic really.
    Thjey probably tell you they are efficient to sell them.
    *curls lip like Rik from the young ones*
    What do you mean. you cant burn any old wood? Wood burns. If it runs out you get off your arse and collect more.
    Normal softwood wouldn't last any time at all, it would just spit and smoke, you probably wouldn't be allowed to burn it.
    Forum Member
    I wonder why they have big Flue's, i wonder what goes up it, heat rises, it doesn't wanmt to go any other way.
    Air goes in to feed the flame, heat goes out the top, logic really.
    Thjey probably tell you they are efficient to sell them.

Normal softwood wouldn't last any time at all, it would just spit and smoke, you probably wouldn't be allowed to burn it.

:confused: What makes you think you cant burn what you like?
    Unless you are in a smokeless zone.
    You dry the wood before you burn it so it doesn't spit actually and the smoke goes up the chimney so what difference does it make?
  • nowahallanowahalla Posts: 10,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ..apologies for disappearing, instructor appeared so had to go kick him for a bit:D
    Can't be bothered discussing the finer points of my stove but suffice to say when it's lit the roomis toasty, and you cant touch the stove or the chimney as they get very hot, hence big gloves for opening the door....it's a huge room and it heats it beautifully and one or two large logs will last hours. It sucks in air from a vent into the external wall behind the stove. It's a damn sight more effective than the poncy underfloor heating we have which may keep your feet mildly warm but fails miserably to heat the double height, largely glass fronted family room/kitchen......:)
    Hi Bella, interesting list:D:cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Our fire/stove (similar to Halla's below but double fronted) burns coal or wood, very efficient as you open the doors and the heat comes out into the room, nasty smoke goes up the chimney. Fuel is cheap as chips especially if you chop and transport it yourself.

Just be sure to replace choc in fridge - essential for revision. One year my daughter was taking her A levels and the boys their GCSEs - I became expert at walking on eggshells, making quick snacks and making myself scarce! There were also trips to school to retrieve 'essential' folders accidentally left at school, trips to the library for books/research and way more trips to supermarket to stock up on food:cool:
    Hi jojo, fuel cheap round our parts, especially if you have a tame farmer with tons of woodland to plunder:D and a chainsaw:D:D....
    Will definitely be keeping fridge well stocked and staying well out of her way except to refuel:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Artemesia wrote: »
    :D:D
    Ahhhh, I love M.Raymon' "Le Voila" Blanc. I bet he knows what to do with a bottle of champagne and a gateau....;):p

Hmmmmm...him and michel roux jnr, and Jean-christophe novelli....phwoarrrr:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Re Bella's list..the only thing I haven't encountered from it is the fake chimney breasts:D

...wanders off to think some more about jean-Christophe ..:D
  • Flora PosteFlora Poste Posts: 18,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nowahalla wrote: »
    ..apologies for disappearing, instructor appeared so had to go kick him for a bit:D
    Can't be bothered discussing the finer points of my stove but suffice to say when it's lit the roomis toasty, and you cant touch the stove or the chimney as they get very hot, hence big gloves for opening the door....it's a huge room and it heats it beautifully and one or two large logs will last hours. It sucks in air from a vent into the external wall behind the stove. It's a damn sight more effective than the poncy underfloor heating we have which may keep your feet mildly warm but fails miserably to heat the double height, largely glass fronted family room/kitchen......:)

I think we can take it as read then that they do warm a room and not all the heat goes up the chimney, so despite what Hicky likes to think he is obviously wrong on this occasion :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think we can take it as read then that they do warm a room and not all the heat goes up the chimney, so despite what Hicky likes to think he is obviously wrong on this occasion :D

:D;):D
    I'm waiting for the elf'n'safety briefing on proper chainsaw etiquette...:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D;):D
    I'm waiting for the elf'n'safety briefing on proper chainsaw etiquette...:D

He wouldnt dare, didnt he once mangle his hand with a saw :D
    Forum Member
    Hicky, I don't want to alarm you but surely your boiler is just as likely to blow up or poison you as your gas fires were. :confused: What was the point of getting rid of them for safety?
    Anyway, if your neighbours have a gas explosion it could blow your house to smithereens.
    Forum Member

And refused to see a doctor, and bought himself fake skin to cover it :D:D:D
  • HickyHicky Posts: 50,488
    Forum Member
    :confused: What makes you think you cant burn what you like?
    Unless you are in a smokeless zone.
    You dry the wood before you burn it so it doesn't spit actually and the smoke goes up the chimney so what difference does it make?
    You used to be able to burn wood/trees etc in the garden, that isn't allowed now.

Think you will be in trouble if smoke goes up the chimney as well.

Theyu say they are efficient to sell them.

If you have a massive chimney on the stove then the heat is going to go out of the house.

Put your hand over a candle it will burn you terrible but it won't give any heat to the side.
    Heat only rises unless it's forced by some other means.
    Can't be bothered discussing the finer points of my stove but suffice to say when it's lit the room is toasty, and you cant touch the stove or the chimney as they get very hot, hence big gloves for opening the door....it's a huge room and it heats it beautifully and one or two large logs will last hours. It sucks in air from a vent into the external wall behind the stove. It's a damn sight more effective than the poncy underfloor heating we have which may keep your feet mildly warm but fails miserably to heat the double height, largely glass fronted family room/kitchen......:)
    I'm not disputing the heat you get in the room just how much of the total output, they are saying 80%, to me thats a joke.:D
    Whats the massive chimney for?, nothing!.:D
    I still say the majority of the heat goes up the chimney, whats to stop it?
    The room is only heated by the heat from the metal stove, if thats efficient i'm Chinese.
    I wouldn't trust myself with a chainsaw, I admit that.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And refused to see a doctor, and bought himself fake skin to cover it :D:D:D

You know he likes to do the right thing :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You used to be able to burn wood/trees etc in the garden, that isn't allowed now.

If you have a massive chimney on the stove then the heat is going to go out of the house.

Put your hand over a candle it will burn you terrible but it won't give any heat to the side.

I'm not disputing the heat you get in the room just how much of the total output, they are saying 80%, to me thats a joke.:D

The room is only heated by the heat from the metal stove, if thats efficient i'm Chinese.

Just as well :D
    Forum Member

What on earth are you talking about.... "You cant burn wood in the garden and you're in trouble if smoke goes up a chimney"? Show me evidence of this bonkers theory please, and remember that neither of us is in a smoke free zone.

The "some other means" of forcing heat out is called "convection"
    http://www.schoolphysics.co.uk/age11-14/Heat%20energy/Transfer%20of%20heat%20energy/text/Convection_/index.html
  • JoJo4JoJo4 Posts: 38,663
    Forum Member
    Hi Bella, interesting listcool:

Fire - what she said ^^^^^^
    Hi jojo, fuel cheap round our parts, especially if you have a tame farmer with tons of woodland to plunder:D and a chainsaw:D:D....
    Will definitely be keeping fridge well stocked and staying well out of her way except to refuel:)

We have the same here - OH loves his fuel runs:cool: He continued to search out and chop wood even when we weren't using the (old) fire. Now we have the new one he can't wait for winter.....
    What on earth are you talking about.... "You cant burn wood in the garden and you're in trouble if smoke goes up a chimney"? Show me evidence of this bonkers theory please, and remember that neither of us is in a smoke free zone.

The "some other means" of forcing heat out is called "convection"
    http://www.schoolphysics.co.uk/age11-14/Heat%20energy/Transfer%20of%20heat%20energy/text/Convection_/index.html

Hicky's using web sites to find out about the fires - rather than listening to those of us who have them, use them and can vouch for the fact that they're cheap to run, efficient and don't break any environmental rules:rolleyes:

They can also serve as a focal point in a room, for those who don't have a humungous wall mounted TV;)
    Forum Member
    Just as well :D

Did you have visions of Hicky running amok with his chain saw - I did! Different take on Chain Saw Massacre.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:D:D:cool:

mildly peeved here:(...fridge/freezer is misbehaving again, just phoned landlord to explain, politely, that I expect a freezer to keep things actually frozen, not cool but still squishy:(...and that the fridge should feel cooler than the kitchen:rolleyes:
    engineer is on his way...however, unless he has a spare fridge in his van I doubt that he will be able to fix it. If he refuses to get me a new one I shall get my own, I've had enough of it:( - can't buy ice-cream, food going off in 48hours in fridge, bloody useless:( bah humbug....
  • ArtemesiaArtemesia Posts: 43,241
    Forum Member

mildly peeved here:(...fridge/freezer is misbehaving again, just phoned landlord to explain, politely, that I expect a freezer to keep things actually frozen, not cool but still squishy:(...and that the fridge should feel cooler than the kitchen:rolleyes:
    engineer is on his way...however, unless he has a spare fridge in his van I doubt that he will be able to fix it. If he refuses to get me a new one I shall get my own, I've had enough of it:( - can't buy ice-cream, food going off in 48hours in fridge, bloody useless:( bah humbug....

What a bloomin' nuisance....Ours misbehaved last August so I have every sympathy as temp was in 90s.Luckily, we got an excellent service engineer, third time lucky though. The first 2 were obviously flummoxed and were talking about ordering parts costing a couple of hundred euro each. One rudely asked why we needed such a big appliance....:rolleyes:
    Forum Member

:D

It's not on - freezer not fit for purpose, you'd be hounded to death in the UK if as a landlord you didn't fix it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10953775@N05/?savedsettings=1011228335&page=4#photo1011228335

Could someone please tell me if the above link works - I'm trying to share some photos so that eBayers can see them?
    Forum Member
    Artemesia wrote: »
    What a bloomin' nuisance....Ours misbehaved last August so I have every sympathy as temp was in 90s.Luckily, we got an excellent service engineer, third time lucky though. The first 2 were obviously flummoxed and were talking about ordering parts costing a couple of hundred euro each. One rudely asked why we needed such a big appliance....:rolleyes:

Did you point him in the direction of MIL:cool:
  • Scots roolScots rool Posts: 276,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    He said "we had gas fires in the FIFE place" :D

Below....

What sort of central heating do you have then, if it isn't gas? I thought that was most efficient.
    I'm sure faulty gas appliances are very rare indeed, particularly if you have them checked, which i am sure you did.

It is true that wood burning is not terribly efficient compared to coal and that coal wastes a lot of heat through the chimney (but causes the heat to be spread efficiently through the house) but i expect that the stove is only a back up in Halla's case, because it is nicer, and that she can afford the wood easily, and even if she couldn't she could GO COLLECT IT FOR FREE. which is why they suit most people.
    :eek::eek:
    How very dare you! I'm not a Fifer! :p
    Might go back to bed then, it's pouring with rain anyway!

Well don SR - quite a few of us seem to have survivied

Hold the front page:D
    It'll all end in tears before the end of the day.........:eek:
    :D
    I'm waiting for the elf'n'safety briefing on proper chainsaw etiquette...
    That was my 1st thought. :D

Whats the massive chimney for?, nothing!.

I wouldn't trust myself with a chainsaw, I admit that.
    Yeah right.

That's what chimneys are designed for, nor just for plasma TV's. :rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.