Quick update Ref EPG Update

james paynejames payne Posts: 4,136
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Good evening to you all.

Just to let you know , the new slightly tinkered Sky EPG is planned to start rolling out this month.

Regards as always

Beryl

Comments

• hybridtheoryhybridtheory Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good evening to you all.

Just to let you know , the new slightly tinkered Sky EPG is planned to start rolling out this month.

Regards as always

Beryl

Hi

Whats been tinkered with in this new EPG thats rolling out?

Thanks

Baz
  • Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi

Whats been tinkered with in this new EPG thats rolling out?

Thanks

Baz

The new Home Screen and probably some bug fixes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Will it go out in batches to boxes , will sky roll-out update to 2TB boxes first ?!.
  • Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    Good evening to you all.

Regards as always

Beryl

any date for this?
    can we get this on a forced software download?

will you come back to us when it goes live?
  • james paynejames payne Posts: 4,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dansky+HD wrote: »
    any date for this?
    can we get this on a forced software download?

will you come back to us when it goes live?

Good evening Dan.

As always , when & if I'm given the nod to share more info with you , then my first port of call will be here on this forum.

I would love to share more , & what you're asking is certainly reasonable.

However , at this stage I know you'll appreciate , as you always have , that I'm unable to share anymore info until given the nod.

Kind regards as always

Beryl
  • NsewellNsewell Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky allways roll out updates in batches, usually of 10,000.

They more than likely will stick to the usual roll out order of DRX890 895 first then pace samsung and DRX780 later. Wether the DRX595 will be in the first stage or second stage varies.

You won't get it via the Forced update process until it has rolled out to most people for your box type, otherwise it would defeat the point of the DR stream.

When it does start rolling out I'm sure they'll be lots of posts about it so you won't miss it.
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good evening to you all.

Regards as always

Beryl

Thanks Beryl as always much appreciated. By the way you may get the nod from your bosses to post the info, but do they know you have a feminine alter ego? :D

PJ
  • DidsburyDidsbury Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    It looks like they have tinkered with more than the EPG!
    Forum Member
    Didsbury wrote: »
    It looks like they have tinkered with more than the EPG!

Have you seen it? And if so, How?

Wnat changes/alterations are there, that you can tell us of? Good/bad?
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

pocketlint already published an article about it, and the link was posted in this forum at the time.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/126910-sky-unveils-new-sky-tv-epg-to-push-on-demand-content-coming-this-spring
  • BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think he meant James' apparent sex change!
  • tvsatweektvsatweek Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you want anything improved or changed with the sky epg electronic programme guide please put it on this website

helpforum.sky.com

Other

Community suggestions box
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tvsatweek wrote: »
    If you want anything improved or changed with the sky epg electronic programme guide please put it on this website

helpforum.sky.com

Other

Community suggestions box

Really? You keep doing this. This thread isn't to do with changes that we want, its more information on the arrival of the new one. Most people know about the community suggestions box and I've never seen anything from there ever be put into motion. theres a post about a Chicken TV Channel on there for goodness sake!
  • leslie123leslie123 Posts: 2,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they want to do something really useful arrange a software update so people can manually tune DVBS2 transponders and symbol rates 23000 and 29500. That way people can manually tune the fta regions of BBC and ITV HD channels. Anything else is a complete waste of time and money and more often than not serves no useful purpose and impedes the performance particularly on older boxes.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Sky installer mate of mine told me that the all singing all dancing new epg will be able to be accessed and programmed by the user in a choice of colours instead of the stock blue. Apparently there are a multitude of colours to pick from in all different hues and shades. There will also be a selection of fonts and sizes too from Comic Sans to Helvetica Narrow, with the latter far more can be seen on screen. With larger screen TVs a smaller type can be picked that will put more rows on screen too. Win-win all round looking forward to it.
  • KesterKKesterK Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    A Sky installer mate of mine told me that the all singing all dancing new epg will be able to be accessed and programmed by the user in a choice of colours instead of the stock blue. Apparently there are a multitude of colours to pick from in all different hues and shades. There will also be a selection of fonts and sizes too from Comic Sans to Helvetica Narrow, with the latter far more can be seen on screen. With larger screen TVs a smaller type can be picked that will put more rows on screen too. Win-win all round looking forward to it.

You're 26 days too early... :p
    Forum Member
    Caxton wrote: »

I would guess you have been lied to.

Not your fault I'm sure.

This doesn't sound like Sky in the slightest.

Some or very little if what you said could happen but I'm guessing not.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    Planner Sharing?
    Forum Member
    Planner Sharing?

Hopefully
    but this is Sky so the groundwork has probably been made but full implementation may not come for months

May reduce need for PVR multiscreen boxes and increase need for 2TB + boxes
    Are the non-PVR multiscreen boxes wifi enabled?

My idea for personal planner was never taken on nor answered to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully
    but this is Sky so the groundwork has probably been made but full implementation may not come for months

May reduce need for PVR multiscreen boxes and increase need for 2TB + boxes
    Are the non-PVR multiscreen boxes wifi enabled?

My idea for personal planner was never taken on nor answered to.

Not coming yet. A new WiFi non PVR will be launched and software updated on the current ones to allow the OD connectors to work to phone home etc.
  • SMILER30SMILER30 Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    Planner sharing has been put on the back burner and can't see it happening anytime soon.
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not coming yet. A new WiFi non PVR will be launched and software updated on the current ones to allow the OD connectors to work to phone home etc.

How would on demand work on a box with no hard drive?
  • simon194simon194 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SMILER30 wrote: »
    Planner sharing has been put on the back burner and can't see it happening anytime soon.

Sky should have gone with MediaHighway instead of getting involved with the "Darwin" project then we would have had "planner sharing" around 6 months ago. "Darwin/Picasso/Fusion" or whatever it's called now isn't exactly a high priority project with Cisco because there's only one customer for it.

A corporation as large as Cisco are bound to pull the plug on it eventually as their focus in firmly on MediaHighway which is why they bought out NDS in the first place.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    How would on demand work on a box with no hard drive?

Reread my post. I didn't say it would be used for OD services.
  • NsewellNsewell Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    simon194 wrote: »
    Sky should have gone with MediaHighway instead of getting involved with the "Darwin" project then we would have had "planner sharing" around 6 months ago. "Darwin/Picasso/Fusion" or whatever it's called now isn't exactly a high priority project with Cisco because there's only one customer for it.

A corporation as large as Cisco are bound to pull the plug on it eventually as their focus in firmly on MediaHighway which is why they bought out NDS in the first place.

The middleware is called NDS Fusion, Darwin and Picasso were project names within Sky.

When Sky decided to switch to NDS Fusion, Fusion was supposed to be the new replacement for Media Highway, it's not Sky's fault NDS abandond it and went back to MediaHighway.

Sky is a large customer and considering a lot of the developers who develop the Sky Guide are NDS/Cisco staff I would say its in their interests to continue supporting it. There almost certain to If Sky pays the right price.

Cisco might encourage Sky to port their EPG over to MediaHighway in the future to make development and support easier, but they certainly wouldn't want to loose them as a customer.

I'm sure Sky is looking at the bigger picture and may in the future release new boxes which run a completely different EPG and Middleware.

There were changes to the Planner database in R006 if I remember rightly which were in preparation for Planner Sharing. So they've been working on it for a while, better to launch later with a stable product than early with a poor quality one.