Options

How do sky install cabling to box

ChanfronChanfron Posts: 430
Forum Member
Just a quick question.

I am due to have sky installed at a new property that has never had a satellite dish and was wondering if they feed the cable through the wall to the box or will the installer fit a surface mount box with a face plate.

When my dad upgraded to sky plus many years ago he fitted a box and faceplate himself and the installer wired it up.

I have a box and plate myself that I am planning to fit in advance but was just wondering if Sky do it.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,517
    Forum Member
    As far as I'm aware they simply drill through the wall and pass the wire through - but you are perfectly free to fit a socket if you want - bear in mind you will need a double F-connector socket, as Sky+ requires two feeds.

There's a lot of rubbish posted on these forums about sockets causing signal loss, and that a single length of cable is better - however, it's not true in any practical sense, and any decent professional job would use a socket (as do all full distribution systems).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah I thought the would just pass the cable through but thought I would ask, I do have a double f type to fit.

Thanks
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    The trouble is that a lot of sockets available to the DIYer are poor quality unscreened saddle and clamp types. These do cause signal loss, mismatching, and ingress of interference, notably DECT phones.
    A proper fully screened socket is OK of course.

You get what you pay for basically.

Spend that little extra for a decent quality product and you'll have little or no loss in signal and its a damn sight tidier plus looks so much better.
  • Options
    MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your answer illustrated with pictures:
    http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/wall_plates.htm
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,517
    Forum Member
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    The trouble is that a lot of sockets available to the DIYer are poor quality unscreened saddle and clamp types. These do cause signal loss, mismatching, and ingress of interference, notably DECT phones.
    A proper fully screened socket is OK of course.

All pretty well theoretical, and so minor as to not cause the slightest issue - perhaps you've forgotten we're talking 'high level' first IF signals down the cable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The plate I got looks like the one from the first pic in the "Standard Wall plate wiring" section from the satcure link MartinPickering provided.
    Bought it from Wickes.
  • Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The installer that did mine just drilled a hole, fed through the cables, then fit some circular rubbery things to "seal" the holes. No wall-mounted boxes.