Options

Free alternative to Windows Live Mail

barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Having had that horrible WLM 2011 installed on my computer without me asking, I have got rid of it and reverted to the far better 2009 version. However, it is still crap compared to the ancient Microsoft Outlook that I once had. Can anybody recommend a free mail program that will be immune from any unwanted MS updates? Not Thunderbird though (if it still exists); I tried that once and soon got rid of it.

Comments

• Options
    radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    www.gmx.com
    I have been using this for a very long time.
    Like the alias email addresses feature & the organiser
  • Options
    Alan FAlan F Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try Thunderbird again, you may be surprised.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not many free ones left that are much good, Thunderbird is a bit different to what it used to be and I am starting to use it now, there is Claws mail, which is a great little email client, but it is a bit limited compared to thunderbird.

radioanorak, GMXmail is a web mail service, while it is very good, I do not think it is the thing the OP is looking for.
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    Having had that horrible WLM 2011 installed on my computer without me asking, I have got rid of it and reverted to the far better 2009 version. However, it is still crap compared to the ancient Microsoft Outlook that I once had. Can anybody recommend a free mail program that will be immune from any unwanted MS updates? Not Thunderbird though (if it still exists); I tried that once and soon got rid of it.

Have a look at 'Postbox'. The express version is free but not actively being developed. The premium version has a 30 day free trial then only about £4 to purchase.
    It's based on Thunderbird, but, better.
    You can't beat a 30 day trial to see if you like it....I've used it for a while now and can recommend it.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still think Thunderbird is totally fine considering it's free - beats using webmail anyway !
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the suggestions. It's quite a while since I tried the clunky old Thunderbird so it will be interesting to see what's happened to it since. I can tolerate WLM 2009, but the 2011 version is a shocker.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »

It's part of Live Essentials (now Windows Essentials). The updates to WLM have been minor, far less than Thunderbird over the same period. If you install only WLM (and Movie Maker is useful to many) from the Windows Essentials you will receive almost no updates, it's been stable on v16 (WLM 2012) for some time.

I'm not sure why you dislike WLM, but to compare it to Outlook (only available paid as standalone or with Office) is unfair. Outlook is a PIM not just an e-mail client and there are far more updates for that than any released for WLM.

Thunderbird is also an e-mail client alone.

If there is any criticism of WLM it is that it is Microsoft centric and works best with MS accounts. It does now work much better with other e-mail accounts now that IMAP support is more widespread.

So, if the only fact you did not like it is to do with MS updates, it is not a valid reason and it does make me wonder about your approach to updates generally.