Trying to be balanced.....

horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
Forum Member
✭✭
SCD has been really popular this year. and I'm sure that the producers won't be crying about all the publicity that has been generated - for various reasons.

If there is a problem, I would say that it the show has a problem with it's identity & what it is trying to be. I think that they (judges etc) need to decide is this light entertainment, or, is it a serious dance contest?. I don't see how it can really be both.

Of course learning to dance, or being able to dance are important, but, as soon as you start to get GBP involved you immediatly add another level - people vote for the strangest of reasons. It's not right or wrong the way that the public vote, it's a choice that people can exercise any way they like (as long as they pay thier 15p)

If they want a "Strictly" dance competition - have a different programme, a bit like the old come dancing.

The fact that they have celebs on the programme, will always lead to strange votes. They bring with them a fan base, and the producers know that, and utilise it.

They need to act with a little less pomposity, enjoy the fun in the programme (good and bad), and just let the competition lead it's merry way - whether John Sergant, Tom Chambers, or whoever. So what......

The whole John Sgt thing really showed the programme up, why could they just not laugh, smile and wait for him to be in a dance off. Instead it caused all sorts of bad feeling.

So for next year... new judges, yes (someone who will have a bit of fun, and not take themselves so seriously - Brian would be great...). Location, go back to blackpool tower ballroom. Audience, I went this year..to many celebs and hangers on, many of which did not even bother coming back for the results show. Presenters - I know Bruce is popular but something needs to happen, he gets his lines wrong so many times. Results show...get it back to live. Celebs - I love the mix of old young, able and less able...more variety please.

(BTW - I wanted Jodie to win..she was fab the week we were in the audience. Also, i will always vote for Ian Waite as he is hot :-))

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see any identity crisis.

It's a game opera and one of the best. All the classic conventions of the genre are there.

The scoring system failed and needs to be fixed but, within reason, 'controversy' is an important component of this kind of entertainment.

The irony of accusing the judges of taking themselves 'so seriously' in a forum where there's no shortage of FMs apparently taking the judges far too seriously is not lost on me. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If there is a problem, I would say that it the show has a problem with it's identity & what it is trying to be. I think that they (judges etc) need to decide is this light entertainment, or, is it a serious dance contest?. I don't see how it can really be both.

Of course learning to dance, or being able to dance are important, but, as soon as you start to get GBP involved you immediatly add another level - people vote for the strangest of reasons. It's not right or wrong the way that the public vote, it's a choice that people can exercise any way they like (as long as they pay thier 15p)

(BTW - I wanted Jodie to win..she was fab the week we were in the audience. Also, i will always vote for Ian Waite as he is hot :-))

that sums it up, doesn't it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's always been the same

Some years we get the best dancers winning ... Alesha, Mark & Jill

Other years it's a popularity contest and Darren & Tom win.

That's what make it a great show and it will continue for some time. SCD is here to stay!!! :)