Options

Anyone wish we had Wendy's in the UK?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    We had one here for a couple of years 10+ years ago. They had the best chips ever!
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember Wendy's in London, and Taco Bell and there was even an Arby's for a while.

But my favourites will always be the Bob Payton restaurants. Chicago Pizza pie factory, H J Beans and the best of all, The Chicago Rib Shack.

RIP Bob. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well....there was a Wendy's here in Belfast for a year and a half....about a decade ago.

It was shit.

Their veggie burger was absolutely gorgeous!
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    treefr0g wrote: »
    I remember Wendy's in London, and Taco Bell and there was even an Arby's for a while.

But my favourites will always be the Bob Payton restaurants. Chicago Pizza pie factory, H J Beans and the best of all, The Chicago Rib Shack.

RIP Bob. :(

Taco Bell is open at Lakeside, Basildon and Manchester. http://www.tacobelluk.co.uk/faq.html

Arby's planned to open here, but never made it in the end.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sarah0890 wrote: »
    We had one here for a couple of years 10+ years ago. They had the best chips ever!

Fries! ;)
  • Options
    googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I miss Wendy's, and their square burgers. In London there was one on Shaftesbury Avenue ... it turned into a McDonalds.
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Arby's planned to open here, but never made it in the end.

Yes they did, there was one on Haymarket (below Regent St) for several years. I would guess that it closed by 1999 or thereabouts. My mate and I used to go there all the time.
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wendy's shakes are the best.

I wish wish wish wish wiiiisssssh the UK would get a Popeyes or Church's Chicken. Amazing!
  • Options
    googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sweh wrote: »

I wish wish wish wish wiiiisssssh the UK would get a Popeyes or Church's Chicken. Amazing!

Oh no they're not

Steak'nShake take that crown

They have whole glace cherries in them :D
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    googleking wrote: »
    Oh no they're not

Steak'nShake take that crown

They have whole glace cherries in them :D

Ewww cherries! That place looks like a glorified Ed's Diner! :p
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sweh wrote: »

We had a Texas Chicken in the Pyramids in Birkenhead, its Church's Chicken under a different name, its closed down now though wasn't open long.

I guess all theses fast food places were too late to get in the UK market, its probably impossible to succeed because they have more competition in the UK from chippies, independent takeaways and I think we home cook allot more.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    phill363 wrote: »

I guess all theses fast food places were too late to get in the UK market, its probably impossible to succeed because they have more competition in the UK from chippies, independent takeaways and I think we home cook allot more.

Why anyone would want to buy stuff from one of those places over the likes of Wendy's or Arby's beggars belief!!! :eek:

Each to their own I guess :o

I agree that the sheer presence of McDonalds over the last 20 years has grown and is stuck in people's minds so anyone else is always going to struggle to chip into their market share... even Burger King seem unable to do that here
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    Why anyone would want to buy stuff from one of those places over the likes of Wendy's or Arby's beggars belief!!! :eek:

Each to their own I guess :o

I agree that the sheer presence of McDonalds over the last 20 years has grown and is stuck in people's minds so anyone else is always going to struggle to chip into their market share... even Burger King seem unable to do that here

They deliver and they can beat the likes of McDonald's on convenience and that's not very common when dealing with massive corporations.

Yeah I think Burger King have had to go a lot more upmarket than McDonald's with more Deluxe burgers to try and beat them and even McDonald's are retaliating on that front.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    Charles II wrote: »
    Perfect idea, give the fattest nation in Europe more fast-food chains.

Do you think people are going to eat more fast food if there are more options? There are only a few chain type places but myriad independent places. The only reason I would be tempted to eat more fast food is me probably thinking 'I'll check this Wendy's place out' when it first opened after that it would be back to normal.
  • Options
    karapote monkeykarapote monkey Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There used to be a Wendy's in Dagenham and it was vile. There is a taco bell in lakeside.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There used to be a Wendy's in Dagenham and it was vile. There is a taco bell in lakeside.

As stated in post 30!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    Was just going to write ofcourse they do have wendy's in the uk, but remembered it was wimpy's i was thinking of, they're more or less the same aren't they?
  • Options
    RickyBarbyRickyBarby Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member
    Hooters
  • Options
    Mr TeacakeMr Teacake Posts: 6,593
    Forum Member
    There was either a Wendy's or Wimpy in Wood Green and may still be there...
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RickyBarby wrote: »
    Hooters

Now you're talking :)
  • Options
    TinpotTinpot Posts: 2,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wendy's Baconater is the beastly king of burgers.

http://www.absolut-ism.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/baconator_dude25_400.jpg
    Two 1/2 lb. patties topped with 6 slices of fresh-cooked Applewood Smoked Bacon in between a premium buttered, toasted bun. Topped off with mayo, ketchup, and American cheese
  • Options
    RickyBarbyRickyBarby Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member
    Tinpot wrote: »

I would it that
  • Options
    cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    I think Wendys were in the UK before Mcdonalds
  • Options
    TxBelleTxBelle Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wendy's has improved alot over the last few years. Their Frosty's are YUM.
  • Options
    cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is Wendy Wimpy's girlfriend?
  • Options
    carnivalistcarnivalist Posts: 4,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    I used to like Wendy's. The one next to Charing Cross closed and became McDonald's but Wendy's was far nicer.

It was 25 years ago though so I may be remembering it more fondly than it deserves.

I remember the one in Charing Cross Road/Shaftesbury Avenue, as opposed to Charing Cross. If that was 25 years ago I'd be terrified that time's passing that quickly.

On a side note, I went to a place in Cardiff called Ruby Tuesday's that I enjoyed. Gorgeous soft drinks cocktail-y things they served in there. Wouldn't mind seeing one in London.