Robyn Appreciation Thread

2»

Comments

• Options
    gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree. Robyn slays! :D

lol! it is a compliment to be fair. she was just releasing music in scandanvia at that point. so obviously someone with a sharp ear picked up on the songs potential. she is a good song writer. :)
  • Options
    cherbrinkleyfancherbrinkleyfan Posts: 1,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is an excellent song writer. I love most of the tracks on "body talk" and the album "robyn" is so underrated!
  • Options
    gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She is an excellent song writer. I love most of the tracks on "body talk" and the album "robyn" is so underrated!

she should be huge worldwide to be fair. it doesn't make a lot of sense. although, as long as she continues to make good music. i guess its not important.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was at Manchester doing a gig last night, i missed it :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    She was at Manchester doing a gig last night, i missed it :(

haha, just said on the other thread but I'll say it again, you missed out well and truly (just rubbing salt in ;))

What's your favourite song of hers? It's got to be With Every Heartbeat for me, it's literally one of my have songs of all time!

I pretty much bum every single she's released, she's one of the few artists I like that ALWAYS releases the best songs on the album IMO. Though saying that, every song on both Robyn and Body Talk are fantastic, I was surprised she didn't put Cry When You Get Older on the final, full Body Talk!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JakeM641 wrote: »
    haha, just said on the other thread but I'll say it again, you missed out well and truly (just rubbing salt in ;))

What's your favourite song of hers? It's got to be With Every Heartbeat for me, it's literally one of my have songs of all time!

I pretty much bum every single she's released, she's one of the few artists I like that ALWAYS releases the best songs on the album IMO. Though saying that, every song on both Robyn and Body Talk are fantastic, I was surprised she didn't put Cry When You Get Older on the final, full Body Talk!

She's so underrated it's unreal! :(

I love

-indestructable
    -with every heartbeat
    -keep this fire burning
    -bum like you.

She's so good!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    She's so underrated it's unreal! :(

I love

-indestructable
    -with every heartbeat
    -keep this fire burning
    -bum like you.

She's so good!

She really is! She had a bit of hype around her when WEH went number 1 and Be Mine & Handle me did well too, but since then it's kinda gone!

I loveeeee indestructible!
    Also, gotta love Konichiwa Bitches and Jack U Off haha :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She really is! She had a bit of hype around her when WEH went number 1 and Be Mine & Handle me did well too, but since then it's kinda gone!

I loveeeee indestructible!
    Also, gotta love Konichiwa Bitches and Jack U Off haha :D

Yeah, I remember that, WEH and Be Mine were such successes over here. I think Who's that girl was pretty known too. But Handle me was particularly forgotton (I think).

I love indestructable..I actually prefer the fast version to the acoustic. I'm not sure why but I do :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah, I remember that, WEH and Be Mine were such successes over here. I think Who's that girl was pretty known too. But Handle me was particularly forgotton (I think).

I love indestructable..I actually prefer the fast version to the acoustic. I'm not sure why but I do :)

Yeaaaah I prefer the album version too! though the acoustic is still fantastic!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeaaaah I prefer the album version too! though the acoustic is still fantastic!

Oh of course but the album version reminds me of the fantastic video with all the tubes :D
  • Options
    Ted2012Ted2012 Posts: 528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely love her :)
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't get enough of her

I only discovered Body talk two months ago and then her earlier material. Already ordered the Robyn album with Every heartbeat, Be mine etc
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robyn is a UK support act for Coldplay's new tour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is Robyn releasing a new album at all?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ted2012 wrote: »
    Is Robyn releasing a new album at all?

Yeah, she tweeted on the 14th January that she was back in the studio working on her new album, but that's all we have for now!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MCA1992 wrote: »
    Yeah, she tweeted on the 14th January that she was back in the studio working on her new album, but that's all we have for now!

Good news. Maybe a October/November release maybe.

I heard a rumor she was pregnant!? :eek:
  • Options
    McdigestiveMcdigestive Posts: 830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anybody else like Robyn like I do? I discovered her recently but didn't realize she had such a back catalog. Her one off Brixton date is in November, I think I might go!
  • Options
    tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to bump up an old thread but have recently listened to 'body talk' again and it's made me love her all over again!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I adore Body Talk. No harm in reposting the love for this modern classic album. All the different infusions and vibes and sounds Robyn has created with Body Talk is just fantastic. My favourites change all the time. At the moment excluding singles, I adore Get Myself Together, Dancehall Queen and U Should Know Better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I adore Body Talk. No harm in reposting the love for this modern classic album. All the different infusions and vibes and sounds Robyn has created with Body Talk is just fantastic. My favourites change all the time. At the moment excluding singles, I adore Get Myself Together, Dancehall Queen and U Should Know Better.

I totally agree! Upon first listen in 2010 (and a while after) I never really appreciated what it was she was trying to do with it (which was create different sounds electronically I think). But now it does form a sort of art piece. It really is brilliant. My favorites are:

Indestructible
    Hang With Me
    Time Machine
    Don't F**king Tell Me What To Do
    Love Kills
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I totally agree! Upon first listen in 2010 (and a while after) I never really appreciated what it was she was trying to do with it (which was create different sounds electronically I think). But now it does form a sort of art piece. It really is brilliant. My favorites are:

Indestructible
    Hang With Me
    Time Machine
    Don't F**king Tell Me What To Do
    Love Kills

Yeah, at first apart from Dancing On My Own when she released the individual parts of Body Talk the part 1, 2, 3 etc I didn't really pick up on what it was about/her really tbh, it took me until she put them all together with the complete Body Talk for me to finally get what I was missing out on, as a complete package it works wonders! It is an art piece.

I love Don't F**king Tell Me What To Do, it's an amazingly blunt message to whoever was attempting to control her from family, friends to people on her label and management, very fun track.

I love Robyn's dancing too, it's so fun. Especially to Time Machine, when she walks backwards I keep thinking she's gonna trip over a wire or something :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gotta join the love for Body talk. I came across it about two years too late but it has fast become one of my all time favourite albums.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gotta join the love for Body talk. I came across it about two years too late but it has fast become one of my all time favourite albums.

Woo :D

Well it still sounds fresh as ever and I think Robyn was quite advanced at making music that seems to be constantly churned out now (except I wouldn't say Robyn's music is generic).
    Yeah, at first apart from Dancing On My Own when she released the individual parts of Body Talk the part 1, 2, 3 etc I didn't really pick up on what it was about/her really tbh, it took me until she put them all together with the complete Body Talk for me to finally get what I was missing out on, as a complete package it works wonders! It is an art piece.

I love Don't F**king Tell Me What To Do, it's an amazingly blunt message to whoever was attempting to control her from family, friends to people on her label and management, very fun track.

I love Robyn's dancing too, it's so fun. Especially to Time Machine, when she walks backwards I keep thinking she's gonna trip over a wire or something :p

I agree with this! When I first listened to part 1 (because I bought all the parts-except for part 3 as it was then also released as a full album, which I also bought), I was like "Hmm this is very computerized and different", but not computerized where it's crap if that makes sense? It is very futuristic (in parts) and then there are some minor throwbacks to stuff that sort of reminds me of instrumentals from the 80s/90s. I can't quite describe it. It's very different that's for sure.

I love Robyn's dancing too! Especially live, I love the fact that most of it just random jumping and no rehearsed stuff. She's very free (well that's the message I get anyway). 'Dancing On My Own' is painfully beautiful which isn't a message you'd get (usually) from a fast/uptempo track.

I hope she returns with a new album soon! She's over here in October on tour. Wish I could see her :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woo :D

Well it still sounds fresh as ever and I think Robyn was quite advanced at making music that seems to be constantly churned out now (except I wouldn't say Robyn's music is generic).

I agree with this! When I first listened to part 1 (because I bought all the parts-except for part 3 as it was then also released as a full album, which I also bought), I was like "Hmm this is very computerized and different", but not computerized where it's crap if that makes sense? It is very futuristic (in parts) and then there are some minor throwbacks to stuff that sort of reminds me of instrumentals from the 80s/90s. I can't quite describe it. It's very different that's for sure.

I love Robyn's dancing too! Especially live, I love the fact that most of it just random jumping and no rehearsed stuff. She's very free (well that's the message I get anyway). 'Dancing On My Own' is painfully beautiful which isn't a message you'd get (usually) from a fast/uptempo track.

I hope she returns with a new album soon! She's over here in October on tour. Wish I could see her :(

Yes, absolutely. Robyn isn't a generic artist at all, she's very much an underdog like Kelis, a trendsetter. I wish she was more appreciated chart wise but at the same time I don't as it could tempt her/her management into falling into the generic Guetta territory - which fortunately she doesn't touch with a barge pole!

Robyn revisting the 70s and 80s in some songs is brilliant, its so subtle, sometimes you can't pick up on what she's trying to say with her songs initially but that's the genius of it, you go back and hear it again and again and even 2 years down the line you can discover new ideas or concepts she was mentioning in her songs, she's brilliant at making timeless material. Any song from Body Talk would still sound totally refreshing now if it was released tomorrow on the charts. Kelis' Flesh Tone is similar in it's futuristic dance beats, but it's very much more industrial, intense, aggressive than Body Talk (I don't know if you've checked that one out?).

Robyn is definitely a very free artist who follows her own path rather than what everyone else is doing, which is what I love. She's a rebel.

I love Robyn's image too, it's not out and out absurd like some of Gaga's outfits but it's not what everyone else is doing, again she is the trendsetter as she wore the giant timberland boots and crazy shoes before most of today's acts followed her into it.

That's exactly the beauty of Dancing on My Own, it's message at the core is terribly sad but something so many people can relate to now or at one point in their lives and they just get up and dance the night away instead of getting down, brilliant as it's so relatable and just a great feel-good song despite the message suggesting it really isn't. Anti-feel good track :p You can tell people connected to it as well as it's Robyn's biggest it from the Body Talk era.

Robyn has been tweeting all year that she's been in the studio when not on the road doing gigs or supporting other people so she is cooking up an album, but just taking ages with it. Which is no bad thing as if it produces a masterpiece like Body Talk, then go ahead and take all the time you need, I say :cool:

I've never seen her live either, would love to go see her. Definitely for the new era I'll see her come hell or high water as they say! But until then, I'll just have to use Youtube performances I guess. :D
  • Options
    Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,172
    Forum Member
    fingers crossed for a uk tour and new music this year!