Cable calls for "greatly expanded" spending funded through borrowing, not cuts

12346»

Comments

• MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So nothing at all to do with a massive increase in debt at all, around 15% in 20 years mostly accounted for by a near 30% increase in housing cost during the same period as it happens.

I

I don't have the figures to hand, but the growth in debt did not change from 1997,it was constant whichever party was in power. You seem to want to make some political point about this, if so then you need to argue with another poster.
  • allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Total Debt was at 400% of GDP when Labour took over.

I'm no fan of blair and brown, but you are talking absolute nonsense.

The high debt when including personal debt all stems from the idea that ever increasing housing prices are a good thing, and that houses at 8 times salary levels are not an absolutely insane fiscal situation but a great thing.

Whoa there. I'm with you on house price rises, I think they've been obscene under several governments. But the question remains as to what extent the gold sale assisted Labour's record. Perhaps it didn't but it's still a valid question.
  • CharlotteswebCharlottesweb Posts: 18,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Majlis wrote: »
    I don't have the figures to hand, but the growth in debt did not change from 1997,it was constant whichever party was in power. You seem to want to make some political point about this, if so then you need to argue with another poster.

Given my distain for all three parties at the minute, an opinion I havent been shy of expressing often on this board, I have no political point to make, they are all a bunch of imbeciles.

You made the claim that from 97' to 2010 the growth was on the back of massive debt increase.

The figures you posted to back this up, showed quite clearly they were relatively static from '92 to 2008 and rose after the banking crash.

So , you either posted the wrong thing to back up your assertion or your assertion was incorrect.

Ad hominem attacks when someone points this out is a bit sly really.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given my distain for all three parties at the minute, an opinion I havent been shy of expressing often on this board, I have no political point to make, they are all a bunch of imbeciles.

You made the claim that from 97' to 2010 the growth was on the back of massive debt increase.

The figures you posted to back this up, showed quite clearly they were relatively static from '92 to 2008 and rose after the banking crash.

So , you either posted the wrong thing to back up your assertion or your assertion was incorrect.

Ad hominem attacks when someone points this out is a bit sly really.

You are making the same mistake that mummy did, UK GDP doesn't just rely on Government spending. TOTAL UK debt continued to rise, rapidly, until the crisis hit in 2009.
  • CharlotteswebCharlottesweb Posts: 18,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Majlis wrote: »
    You are making the same mistake that mummy did, UK GDP doesn't just rely on Government spending. TOTAL UK debt continued to rise, rapidly, until the crisis hit in 2009.

I''m using the figures YOU posted.

In the graph on page 10 YOU directed us to.

It doesnt say what you did. It says what I did.. In 92 debt was 400% of GDP . Just before the crash it was 415% of GDP.

So your assertion that growth between 97 and 2010 was built entirely on huge increases in debt is palpably false, your own figures say so.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I''m using the figures YOU posted.

In the graph on page 10 YOU directed us to.

It doesnt say what you did. It says what I did.. In 92 debt was 400% of GDP . Just before the cracking h it was 415% of GDP.

So your assertion that growth between 97 and 2010 was built entirely on huge increases in debt is palpably false, your own figures say so.

LOL - the light green line is the UK, the black line is Japan