Options

The One Direction Appreciation Thread (8)

Comments

• Options
    abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lolz!! nice read from the independent: "One Direction graduate to Radio 2 with 'mature sounding' new rock album" :D:phttp://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/one-direction-graduate-to-radio-2-with-mature-sounding-new-rock-album-8965217.html
  • Options
    andi84andi84 Posts: 2,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ArtyAttack wrote: »
    Good and interesting review of Midnight Memories, though a little long-winded, which also reflects on the changing face of Pop music in general. The writer does wax lyrical about Little Black Dress though which might shock some http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/10037144/one-direction-midnight-memories-review-end-genre

You know you've made it when the review of your new album is used to make a larger point about the state of today's music in general. Interesting read, their power and appeal now certainly go beyond (teen) pop music!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239
    Forum Member
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abrightyz wrote: »
    i always enjoyed harry's live vocals on SOML, bar none, from the very first where some were saying he was out of tune and/or oversinging, both of which i said at the time i didn't notice at all... for this type of song, for me, raw emotion trumps being rough round the edges *everytime*... :D:p

He sounds so sexy when he does his Solo bits on SOML Live. :o:D

And Zayn, has the voice of an angel as usual. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that was quick?! how fast before it sold out? :eek:

Not sure. I wish I got the poster. I just downloaded it from Amazon instead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    He sounds so sexy when he does his Solo bits on SOML Live. :o:D

And Zayn, has the voice of an angel as usual. :o

BIB is a given and goes without saying :o:o:o:p:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    horrible drunk you are!! "the kook's frontman hits out at 1D in drunk twitter rant" :mad: http://www.gigwise.com/news/86467/the-kooks-frontman-hits-out-at-one-direction-in-drunk-twitter-rant
  • Options
    twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    horrible drunk you are!! "the kook's frontman hits out at 1D in drunk twitter rant" :mad: http://www.gigwise.com/news/86467/the-kooks-frontman-hits-out-at-one-direction-in-drunk-twitter-rant

Jealousy is such a bad look:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twingle wrote: »
    Jealousy is such a bad look:D

green doesn't suit him, that's for sure :o;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know the exact source, but that piece of news is great:
    Japan Oricon First Day Sales:
    3 - Midnight Memories - 26,860
    Fantastic first day sales in Japan! Take Me Home debuted with 26,080 copies sold in the entire first WEEK :o (though it later beat this weekly tally after promo, but still!)
  • Options
    twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andi84 wrote: »
    Don't know the exact source, but that piece of news is great:

Is that very low for Japan? Surely they have a huge music market over there :confused: Isn't the country as big as US. Rubbish at geography!!
  • Options
    ArtyAttackArtyAttack Posts: 67,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radio 1 Review Show last night featured the Midnight Memories song amongst some dance and indie stuff and the song was voted by listeners as Tune of the week. The last time One Direction featured their song didn't win the vote so it isn't down to Directioners swamping the vote. Also suggests that this will be the next single as they are due to sing this on the X Factor Final both here and in the UK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twingle wrote: »
    Is that very low for Japan? Surely they have a huge music market over there :confused: Isn't the country as big as US. Rubbish at geography!!

I'd say it's about as big as the UK, maybe bigger. But certainly not as big as the US.
    No, these sales are very high for 1 day only! Looking forward to seeing the number for the full week. THM has sold a little over 300k over there in total so far, UAN 200k. So a first week of over 50k (maybe close to 100k) would be fantastic!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio 1 Review Show last night featured the Midnight Memories song amongst some dance and indie stuff and the song was voted by listeners as Tune of the week. The last time One Direction featured their song didn't win the vote so it isn't down to Directioners swamping the vote. Also suggests that this will be the next single as they are due to sing this on the X Factor Final both here and in the UK.

Wow, that's something!

Not sure whether it would be a good single choice. It's good they have songs like MM on the album (for the live shows), but I can't see it being played a lot on the radio and downloaded by the general public (which is the case now with SOML).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    Annuhska about that "The Police" song is it "Don't Stand so Close To Me"???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

great!! :cool:

i'm sure there are secret converts out there who are just a tad reluctant *embarrassed?* to show their support overtly just yet lolz!! :p
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The next single should be Diana definitely.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so proud of the boys, and I love the fact that the album is a grower. I hope You And I and Right Now are chosen as singles in the future.
  • Options
    InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    As abrightyz will tell you i'm not a One Direction fan :p but i've got to concede that 'Story of my Life' is a good song and definitely the best material i've heard from them. Hoping for songs like that from them on the radio in future!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New entries in the official midweeks:

34 Diana
    29 Midnight Memories
    25 Strong
    11 You & I --> they're playing it on Radio 1!

Still to come:
    ?? Don't Forget Where You Belong

And obviously SOML of which we don't know the position yet...

And BSE is on #36...

Wonder how many of those will end up in the top 40 come Sunday. 1-2 new entries maximum, I'd say...

Edit: DFWYB is at 10, they're playing it as well! :D Some people will be fuming right now, those who hate everything connected to One Direction ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SOML up to #3 in the midweeks, behind Calvin Harris and McFly... McFly are falling sharply on itunes, so it could move up to #2. Top spot is out of reach, sadly... But a new peak looks very likely :) However, I've just noticed Gary Barlow (who is at #4 in the midweeks) as a second version rising on itunes, he's already very close behind SOML if you combine the two.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Official Spanish Charts:

01 (02) Story of My Life [First N.1 in Spain]
    03 (New) Diana
    04 (New) Midnight Memories
    (06) New) Strong

That's what's called "domination" :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Parts of the detailed Music Week midweek report:
    Midweek Charts: One Direction to achieve 2013's best first-week sales
    Source: Music Week

One Direction's Midnight Memories is heading to the top of the UK artist albums chart this weekend with the highest first-week sales of the year.

The boy band's third album by the end of business on Tuesday had already outsold the entire first-week sales of their Syco debut Up All Night and should easily surpass the opening tally of second album Take Me Home, according to Official Charts Company statistics. Midnight Memories is up to 144,887 in the week so far, compared to Up All Night shifting 138,631 copies in its initial week in 2011 and Take Me Home managing 155,316 sales a year ago.

One Direction are also on course to achieve the highest first-week sales for an artist album this year, beating the current best total of 165,091 achieved by Daft Punk's Columbia release Random Access Memories back in May, while tracks from their new album have flooded the singles market. All 14 cuts from the standard edition of the album are somewhere in the midweek Top 100 as are the four tracks on the extended version of the album.

Leading the way for the group on the singles market is Story Of My Life, which they performed on ITV's The X Factor last Sunday and which rises 10-3 in the week so far with sales more than doubling. Also from their new album, Don't Forget Where You Belong and You & I are new at 10 and 11 respectively, Strong, title track Midnight Memories and Diana debut at 25, 29 and 34 and Best Song Ever moves back up 57-36. The rest of the album's tracks and bonus cuts are outside the Top 75.

One Direction's phenomenal performance this week means Gary Barlow will miss out on scoring a second solo album No 1 with his Polydor set Since I Saw Your Last currently around 85,000 sales behind in second place.

WOW, there's no words for that :D almost 30k on Monday... Let's see how far they can go...

@MTUK1: I'll give you that one, you were always optimistic, good for you :D
This discussion has been closed.