Natalie did not have "a journey" but abby did?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    Scorpio2 wrote: »
    That's good but I'm embarrassed to say that my cousin was in my house last week and when he saw Natalie he said. ''Don't vote for her she beat up her husband in Corrie''
    Seriously no joke.

Ha ha!! That is funny, but I read some saying the same on here 3 months back..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    Come on I bet an awful lot of the females and maybe males on these shows have had some training. Abbey certainly went to dance classes when she was young which was demonstrated as she was hardly a John Sergeant when she started. That's the problem for me, if it really is about a journey then why don't the likes of John Sergeant win :confused: Well, at least those who much more clearly than Abbey Clancy have two left feet and actually grow in the competition but that never happens. So why can't someone as graceful and so clearly full of natural talent whatever her background like Natalie win :confused:

IMO Natalie's dance past just became some lucky stick to beat her with as it as after all like all of these type of shows just a popularity contest and Natalie wasn't popular enough :(

You have saved me a job! Thanks. This is how I feel regarding all the " popularity vs most improved" debate on here. I championed Natalie, but it's clear from these shows that popularity wins- every time. I didn't see all the " Natalie and Artem didn't connect/engage with public" points of view because to me, as a fan of their dancing, I felt they did connect with each other. So it really all boils down to who is liked the most. I didn't feel Sophie deserved her place in final but many others did. Finally, I didn't expect to warm towards Abbey, yet I did. For me, the best dancer didn't win -the most popular did.
  • patricia50patricia50 Posts: 3,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sheikaman wrote: »
    Blimey, there's some bitter people around. Abbey won, Abbey won, she won because she got the most votes, possibly more people voted for her than for the others because she was the most popular, nicest, most natural, down to earth, likeable person in the final.

Or was it a huge conspiracy by Len and Bruno and the Beeb and any other person, maybe the Pope and David Cameron, to drive us, the GBVP, to actually vote for Abbey because she is, unknown to man or beast apart from the lizard people, the Great I Am of all time, leader of the universe, along with Aliaz the Supreme Dancer, they will lead us all to damnation?

Or did she just win because she did?

Well said:)
  • VientreVientre Posts: 1,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abbey didnt have the dance experiance that Natalie had beforehand, dont forget natalie got to quite a high standard at her local dance school especally in tap, yes its not ballroom but Abbey by comparison came in cold, Abbey for me was the best improver and even though i liked them all at the end thought she deserved to win.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see no trouble with an Abby win. She didn't just improve a bit more than Natalie, but she can still carry on improving in a way that Natalie with a chronic injury and heavier frame possibly can't. If Abby is worse than Natalie then I expect her potential to make up for it.
    And it's also better that Abby won than Susanna, because you can expect Abby to capitalise on it. Susanna after all has a real career already and is quite old now.
  • Sally Mander2Sally Mander2 Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    I didn't really notice that much about Abbey at first and confused her with the countdown presenter (I couldn't remember whether she was the model or the countdown presenter). One thing I did notice which I thought was endearing - was how nervous she was. There was one dance early in the serious where her expression was like stone and afterwards she kept saying sorry to Aljaz. I got the impression she was really trying hard and had a nervous - perfectionist disposition. The transformation into a more relaxed and joyful performer has been like night and day.

Or am I confusing the two? Maybe it was the countdown presenter who was the nervous perfectionist ...
  • Jan2555*GG*Jan2555*GG* Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Abbeys biggest journey was from bottom 2 to the glitterball.

Abbey had a very very easy ride from the judges all series, they treated her like a little girl & very rarely ever said anything in the slightest negative. Last night it was constantly being emphasised that she had started a non dancer. Well what about Sophie & Susanna ? Neither of them had either & Sophie never got an easy ride from the judges.

I wish her well & hope she makes the most of the opportunity given to her.
  • holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People have poor recall. Abbey received just as much criticism as everyone else. The only difference is that her fans didn't constantly set up threads about how unfair the judges are and how she is so undermarked etc etc etc :D
  • IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I've said before the winner of SCD is decided by the public therefore all winners deserve their success.

However this should not be confused with 'best dancer' and/or 'longest journey.'

Natalie was the best dancer - upon that the vast majority are agreed. Who made the longest journey - I've no doubt this will generate more discussion and all finalists can make a claim.

When Sophie entered the competition she was perceived to be detached and rather aloof. As the contest continued we saw her emerge from her shell to the point where it was clear that she was thoroughly enjoying every minute and the transformation from serious Sophie to fun loving trophy was very warming.

Susanna - I wasn't a fan but without question as far as dancing goes she had the longest journey ahead of her. She managed to combine enthusiasm with determination and as a result achieved a very creditable standard of dance and a wide army of admiring fans.

It would be naive to suggest that Abbey came in as a complete beginner because she didn't but she improved almost immeasurably and she had many preconceived ideas about her to overcome. She was labelled a WAG - well considering WAG is an accepted acronym for the wives and girlfriends of a celebrity (usually sportsmen) then of course that applies to her. However it was said in a manner which made it synonymous with thick, empty headed etc. and Abbey is neither of these. She was criticised for everything from her accent to her teeth and aspersions cast on her private life - so to emerge from this criticism as the most popular of the finalists proved she too had made an often arduous journey and kept a smile on her face whilst doing so.

What of Natalie? She has withstood a daily hate campaign from the DM, constant references to her so called professionalism, allegations that she is conceited and suggestions that just because her family didn't appear on the show she must be harbouring some dark family secret. Before the dance off it was said that she was being kept artificially high on the leaderboard to ensure progression and after the dance off it was shouted aloud with glee that she wouldn't make the last three. With charm and dignity she turned it around to gain the respect and votes of hitherto indifferent viewers. That was a journey equally as tough as those undertaken by her fellow finalists.

The journeys might have gone down different paths, encountering different obstacles but the hard work, dediction and determination was much the same.
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant post, Ignazio.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think we can ALL agree that Natalie was the best dancer. Technically, yes but dancing is about more than technique and I, like the GBP when push came to shove, found myself more moved by watching Abbey and Aljaz dance.
    Forum Member
    Yes - agree: a very good post from Ignazio.
    Forum Member
    I don't think we can ALL agree that Natalie was the best dancer. Technically, yes but dancing is about more than technique and I, like the GBP when push came to shove, found myself more moved by watching Abbey and Aljaz dance.

It seems there is a consensus that Abbey was the better dancer of in-hold ballroom: e.g. Abbey had a memorable Waltz in the Final. Are there any memorable ball room dances from Natalie?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems there is a consensus that Abbey was the better dancer of in-hold ballroom: e.g. Abbey had a memorable Waltz in the Final. Are there any memorable ball room dances from Natalie?

She always seemed to be leading Artem :)
  • MACTOWINMACTOWIN Posts: 34,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abbey has been on a journey but she did I believe have the highest score in the 1st week they have all been on journeys imo. I think Nat had a huge journey between the Semi and the final the change on her attitude was immense.
  • Caramel CrunchCaramel Crunch Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MACTOWIN wrote: »
    Abbey has been on a journey but she did I believe have the highest score in the 1st week they have all been on journeys imo. I think Nat had a huge journey between the Semi and the final the change on her attitude was immense.

I know Abbey was top week 1 but the improvement in her ballroom frame has been excellent.

Natlaie has been good technically from week 1 & IMO didn't improve.

The difference between them has been the joy Abbey showed week in, week out.
    We finally got a glimpse of Natalie's joy last night & it was fabulous to see. It's as though she though sod it. I've been bottom two & now i'm going to have fun.
  • MerlinslaneyMerlinslaney Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Rioxxx wrote: »
    You have saved me a job! Thanks. This is how I feel regarding all the " popularity vs most improved" debate on here. I championed Natalie, but it's clear from these shows that popularity wins- every time. I didn't see all the " Natalie and Artem didn't connect/engage with public" points of view because to me, as a fan of their dancing, I felt they did connect with each other. So it really all boils down to who is liked the most. I didn't feel Sophie deserved her place in final but many others did. Finally, I didn't expect to warm towards Abbey, yet I did. For me, the best dancer didn't win -the most popular did.

Sums up exactly how I felt, I too was puzzled at the so called lack of connection, but so glad Abbey won if Natalie couldn't, and not too disappointed my favourite didn't win, they all entertained brilliantly throughout though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't really notice that much about Abbey at first and confused her with the countdown presenter (I couldn't remember whether she was the model or the countdown presenter). One thing I did notice which I thought was endearing - was how nervous she was. There was one dance early in the serious where her expression was like stone and afterwards she kept saying sorry to Aljaz. I got the impression she was really trying hard and had a nervous - perfectionist disposition. The transformation into a more relaxed and joyful performer has been like night and day.

Or am I confusing the two? Maybe it was the countdown presenter who was the nervous perfectionist ...

No, you're right, and you make a valid point. Abbey was absolutly terrified in the beginning - and that wasn't an act, you could tell that she was like a deer caught in the headlights of a car. And her reaction when she won was so endearing, she really was shocked.

As for other comments about how she and Aliaz got on as a partnership - the relationship displayed between two dancers in a partnership is hugely important. Think of Fonteyn and Nureyev - the chemistry was explosive, that is what made them so fascinating to watch - and I did see them on stage doing Romeo and Juliet. Fonteyn had danced many parts before her partnership with Nureyev, but she was never an icon until she and he teamed up - and that was due, in part to their wonderful dancing skills but also, to the chemistry in their relationship.

Natalie and Artem had no relationship - Natalie would look to Artem to smile at him, for reassurance or support - and he would block her. Maybe Kara had warned him not to be too personal with Nat - but the partnership had no zing, no fire, no passion, no joy - until that last show dance, when the fire came from their desire to win rather than their interpersonal relationship.
  • Nicola123Nicola123 Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    Natalie had her own journey she has progressed and become even stronger as every week goes on I believe natalie has had the best journey as she started strong but has become apsolutly outstandingly fabulous that showdance and american smooth natalie wanted to touch someone through the tv through dancing the american smooth and she accomplished that because she touched me. I could not be more proud of natalie and artem they are the best.
  • MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, you're right, and you make a valid point. Abbey was absolutly terrified in the beginning - and that wasn't an act, you could tell that she was like a deer caught in the headlights of a car. And her reaction when she won was so endearing, she really was shocked.

As for other comments about how she and Aliaz got on as a partnership - the relationship displayed between two dancers in a partnership is hugely important. Think of Fonteyn and Nureyev - the chemistry was explosive, that is what made them so fascinating to watch - and I did see them on stage doing Romeo and Juliet. Fonteyn had danced many parts before her partnership with Nureyev, but she was never an icon until she and he teamed up - and that was due, in part to their wonderful dancing skills but also, to the chemistry in their relationship.

Natalie and Artem had no relationship - Natalie would look to Artem to smile at him, for reassurance or support - and he would block her. Maybe Kara had warned him not to be too personal with Nat - but the partnership had no zing, no fire, no passion, no joy - until that last show dance, when the fire came from their desire to win rather than their interpersonal relationship.

You really should say "in your opinion". ;-)

Some of us, saw the connection between Natalie & Artem from day one. Their relationship was all about the dance, not all the touchy feely stuff. The passion for dancing and Artem's awe of Natalie's musicality and sheer dance talent probably stopped him choreographing to the dance style, in order to showcase her lines.

Artem cries when things have gone right. The number of times he sat in silence watching and appreciating the dance discussed on ITT was lovely to see.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What a sweeping statement that they had no relationship they trained for fourteen weeks and all she did was smile at him. Why just say you don't like her and leave it at that it would look more credible than saying what you said imo.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Abbey's journey was from easily-dismissed-c-lister to memorable-likeable-joy filled dancer. It wasn't really about improving as a dancer, more about blossoming as a creditable contender in the eyes of the public. She

Natalie started out as ringah-with-no-soul and ended as ringah-with-soul. If the soul had showed up one or two episodes sooner, or even just in the first of her three final dances, she might just have won it.

They started out as top two and ended top two.

Loved these two women reassuring each other, holding hands and looking like genuine friends in the Tess Pit. Adorable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MACTOWIN wrote: »
    What a sweeping statement that they had no relationship they trained for fourteen weeks and all she did was smile at him. Why just say you don't like her and leave it at that it would look more credible than saying what you said imo.

They had no relationship - that I could see, and that many others could see, if you go by many of the posts here and also, by the fact that Abbey and Aliaz won.

I like Natalie so you are dead wrong - she was great in Corrie, I enjoyed some of her dances - but I preferred Abbey - and if you were to ask me why, it was because, apart from being a natural dancer, she had wonderful chemistry with Aliaz.

And if that's a 'sweeping statement' then good, I like to sweep. :)
  • MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They had no relationship - that I could see, and that many others could see, if you go by many of the posts here and also, by the fact that Abbey and Aliaz won.

I like Natalie so you are dead wrong - she was great in Corrie, I enjoyed some of her dances - but I preferred Abbey - and if you were to ask me why, it was because, apart from being a natural dancer, she had wonderful chemistry with Aliaz.

Doesn't make it a fact though. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No relationship is imo wrong but there you go. I am surprised you say you like her as that is not the impression your posts give.