Corsa or Astra?!

da3boolda3bool Posts: 2,620
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hello everyone

I'm looking to buy a new car and I'm undecided to whether I should go for a Corsa or an Astra, both 2013 versions.

Could you please advice me on which is the better car? (mainly in terms of reliability).

Thanks

Comments

• mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Check the Honest John website. They'll have feedback, if any, on all models...
  • da3boolda3bool Posts: 2,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    Check the Honest John website. They'll have feedback, if any, on all models...

Thanks mred
  • topcat2topcat2 Posts: 6,265
    Forum Member
    I had an Astra hire car and thought it was a horrible car
  • Harry.KewellHarry.Kewell Posts: 988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd personally go for the Astra out of those two, its bigger and the design is newer. The corsa is relatively unchanged since 2007 and must be due a design overhaul. The JD power survey puts the Astra at 92 out of 116 cars and the corsa is 105.
  • station31station31 Posts: 3,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about a focus, a much better driving experience than the Astra, the current Vauxhall range is rather dull
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    In a previous job, I was given the use of both types of car. Both the Corsa and the Astra let me down in some way or another (maybe they were from a bad batch) They are not cars that I would personally spend my own money on.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd take neither and go for a Honda Civic or Jazz instead. Alternatively, Toyota Yaris ir Auris . Much better build and significantly more reliable!
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neither, I'd rather walk than drive a Vauxhall (and my lass has a Corsa - bloody awful car).

Buy a Ford instead.
  • lemonbunlemonbun Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    I hired an Astra for a few days and it was terrible in terms of blind spots. I would not buy one. A friend also had one and felt the same.

I'm a Ford fan. They are not perfect - but most local garages will recommend Fords - parts are much cheaper and they are generally easier to repair.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Neither, I'd rather walk than drive a Vauxhall (and my lass has a Corsa - bloody awful car).

Buy a Ford instead.

4 wheels and a board and they call it a Ford
    Forum Member
    da3bool wrote: »
    Hello everyone

I'm looking to buy a new car and I'm undecided to whether I should go for a Corsa or an Astra, both 2013 versions.

Could you please advice me on which is the better car? (mainly in terms of reliability).

Thanks

They stopped making decent Vauxhalls in 2003.

Need to buy Aussie GM cars now
    Forum Member
    I had a loan Corsa once from a Vauxhall garage and it was only running on 3 cylinders (found out it was a half engine), the gearbox would not change itself and there was a strange pedal next to the brake.
  • KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member
    Just for the sake of balance, my last two cars have been a focus and an astra. Much prefer the astra, and it's proven faultlessly reliable which is more than what I can say for the focus.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    our last few cars have been Vauxhall's, and we really enjoy the corsa in particular. it depends whether you need a bigger car, or want the better economy , I think.

I wouldn't buy new, but nearly new saves you the big depreciation hit.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talking from experience I've had a Corsa and it was a terrible car. Absolutely dreadful gear change, hardly any power and mine started leaking too. I wouldn't touch a vauxhall again with a bargepole.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really worried after reading the comments. I might just stay away from Vauxhall.

I've been thinking of Ford Fiesta/Focus and Skoda Fabia for the last day or two.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would stay away from ford too. My partner would say a German car or Honda. ( I love my French cars and people say French are shit)

I would shop around for a while any get something that makes you happy. All cars will have problems.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello everyone

Thanks

They're different classes of car, so it depends on whether you need the space or not.

If you opt for the Corsa, bear in mind that it is at the end of its life cycle & will be replaced by an all new model imminently.

The Astra is a decent car, even if it is not a class leader.

Vauxhall also have very long warranties for the first buyer, so you will have peace of mind if you buy one.
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    Really worried after reading the comments. I might just stay away from Vauxhall.

I've been thinking of Ford Fiesta/Focus and Skoda Fabia for the last day or two.

If you are looking to buy from a franchise dealer go to a few of them and ask for a test drive then at least you will get a better idea if you like the way the car drives.

The 2013 JD Power survey results may be of interest to you as well.
    http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/2013-jd-power-customer-satisfaction-survey-full-car-model-results
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't matter about a vauxhall warranty. I got a new corsa in 09. It was recalled because of steering problem. Got it back and it made a massive knocking noise when going round corners. Was in and out of vauxhall about 8 times until they found they cracked sub frame. Gave me a courtesy service, got home, oil all leaked down front of car and engine after they left oil cap off.

Will never get a vauxhall again.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Ford's are the best handling cars in their respective classes & they're good choices.

The Skoda Fabia is a good car too & because it's a VW Polo underneath, it has proven mechanicals.

I would also suggest that if you are baulking at a Vauxhall, consider the Kia Rio or Kia Cee'd - great looking cars with unrivalled 7 year warranties.

There's also the sister cars from Hyundai, i20 & i30, but their warranties are 5 years for some reason.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Ford's are the best handling cars in their respective classes & they're good choices.

The Skoda Fabia is a good car too & because it's a VW Polo underneath, it has proven mechanicals.

I would also suggest that if you are baulking at a Vauxhall, consider the Kia Rio or Kia Cee'd - great looking cars with unrivalled 7 year warranties.

There's also the sister cars from Hyundai, i20 & i30, but their warranties are 5 years for some reason.

I'd never looked for a Kia or Hyundai but I will have a look at them also. Thank you.

I'm buying an automatic car on finance and some people have been telling me to stay away from French cars If I were looking for an automatic car.

and Thank you everyone, your comments have been very helpful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd never looked for a Kia or Hyundai but I will have a look at them also. Thank you.

I'm buying an automatic car on finance and some people have been telling me to stay away from French cars If I were looking for an automatic car.

and Thank you everyone, your comments have been very helpful.

Don't get auto Italian car neither
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member

If your looking at automatics enquire about if the gearbox oil needs changing every couple of years and how much it costs as lots of the new DSG gearboxes require this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gds1972 wrote: »
    If your looking at automatics enquire about if the gearbox oil needs changing every couple of years and how much it costs as lots of the new DSG gearboxes require this.

Will do, thanks for the info gds