Lego LOTR

cuttlefishspikecuttlefishspike Posts: 5,761
Forum Member
Anyone bought this yet?

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, are there any freezing issues or has it finally been fixed?

The last few games I bought in this series were practically unplayable because of the constant lock-ups (POTC, HP7-11) although the last Batman one wasn't as bad as the others.

Any advice before I part with my cash? Or should I just stick with Skyrim, which Ive only just got round to playing and am loving :)

Comments

• WillbertWillbert Posts: 1,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have it. It's fantastic, apart from it not detecting gamepad for player 2, so I had to use keyboard to play co-op with my son.

As far as graphics and gameplay goes, it's the best since Star Wars.
  • cuttlefishspikecuttlefishspike Posts: 5,761
    Forum Member
    Really...I'm so tempted but have been burned badly in the past by the freezing. Apart from R&C these are the only co-op games I can get my OH to play.

How far in are you?
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm on PS3 and haven't experienced any freezing in the first two chapters.

I'm absolutely loving it so far, a couple of laugh-out-loud moments where they've changed things slightly, and having the dialogue is just superb. It took me a few minutes to get into it, but I haven't played a lego game since the first Indy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    another fun lego game :)
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Husbands been playing it a lot, he's just going into the dead marshes and had no problems so far.
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You guys have given me hope for this game. The last Batman froze so often and had such twitchy controls that I still haven't finished it. Here's hoping it doesn't disappoint.
  • cuttlefishspikecuttlefishspike Posts: 5,761
    Forum Member
    You guys have given me hope for this game. The last Batman froze so often and had such twitchy controls that I still haven't finished it. Here's hoping it doesn't disappoint.

It's so frustrating - these games are so much fun....when they work! But more often than not they don't. I've never known such a buggy series.

Going to take the plunge but will no doubt be back here in a few days moaning about the glitches, lol
  • stu0rtstu0rt Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is absolutely excellent! If you're a fan of the Lego games, this is just like the others with added bells on. I just finished the story mode with still less than 30% completion, so there's a huge amount of extra stuff to do after the story ends.

A couple of issues that are not game breaking for me...

Camera angle. In general, you can move the camera around with freely, but in certain tasks (to collect mythril bricks in the open world) the camera stays in a fixed position and it's not easy to judge the angles for jumps and things. I've fallen off ropes/poles/cliffs more often than I'd care to ponder.

Character switching. Not sure if it's a bug or a design feature, but sometimes when you choose a character in free-play mode, the OTHER character (ie. player two) switches instead of the one you are using. I think they are trying to keep it so you have one tall character and one short in each pair, but it does cause issues if you used a character's abilities to climb up high, then swap to use another character's ability, and it changes the one who is on the ground miles away!

But really it's a great game! Possibly the best yet :)
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really wanted to get this but after the steaming piles of glitchy.........that Lego POTC, Harry Potter 5-7, Star Wars 3 and Batman 2 were I'm going to wait until it's in the bargain bucket.
  • stu0rtstu0rt Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    I really wanted to get this but after the steaming piles of glitchy.........that Lego POTC, Harry Potter 5-7, Star Wars 3 and Batman 2 were I'm going to wait until it's in the bargain bucket.

I've played every Lego game and I've never experienced any game-breaking glitches. Maybe it depends on which console or something. Maybe it's user error. I duno.

Yes, the games have frozen once or twice (although not LotR so far), but nothing to cause huge upset. I seem to remember a logic/design error on POTC that allowed you to bypass a bit of one level and then prevented completion of that level, but all one has to do is play the level again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stu0rt wrote: »
    I've played every Lego game and I've never experienced any game-breaking glitches. Maybe it depends on which console or something. Maybe it's user error. I duno.

Yes, the games have frozen once or twice (although not LotR so far), but nothing to cause huge upset. I seem to remember a logic/design error on POTC that allowed you to bypass a bit of one level and then prevented completion of that level, but all one has to do is play the level again.

Not game breaking, no, but as the level lengths increase the freezes become much more of a pain in the butt.

Case in point. I played over fifty minutes of a Lego Batman 2 level and it froze. The checkpoints were too few and far between to make up for the loss. We need to be able to save at will.

The air turned blue that day:o:mad::D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stu0rt wrote: »

Lego Batman 2 was the worst for the glitches, possibly the most bugged out game I have ever played on a Xbox 360. But it's not just the glitches thats the problem it's the game content. Each Lego title that is released the levels are shorter and the content such as characters and bonus levels decrease. Lego Star Wars 1 & 2, Indy Jones 1 & 2, Batman 1 and Harry Potter years 1-4 were bursting full of content, now it just seems like Travellers Tales hearts' are just not in it any more and they are shipping out half arsed attempts at game that appear to have been untested prior to shipping them out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not game breaking, no, but as the level lengths increase the freezes become much more of a pain in the butt.

Case in point. I played over fifty minutes of a Lego Batman 2 level and it froze. The checkpoints were too few and far between to make up for the loss. We need to be able to save at will.

The air turned blue that day:o:mad::D

Personally I think the levels are getting much shorter, however they are much more graphically detailed. My best glitch was changing to an old woman in the game hub but the character wouldn't change to her it would change into a massive pink cube. Like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaUerWQKIEo
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I think the levels are getting much shorter, however they are much more graphically detailed. My best glitch was changing to an old woman in the game hub but the character wouldn't change to her it would change into a massive pink cube. Like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaUerWQKIEo

:D Now that's a new one on me.
  • fogfog Posts: 1,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i've got it and play it on my alienware laptop fine with no freezes or glitches at all. i love it. lord of the rings lends itself really well to the lego game style. the music throughout is great too.
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For anyone that might be intrested,amazon are currently selling this for £20 for the xbox,ps3,nintendo wii,ds & 3ds http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_4?url=search-alias%3Dvideogames&field-keywords=lego+lord+of+the+rings&sprefix=lego%2Cvideogames%2C333
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loving this so far just got the fellowship together and had my first freeze, so far so good. My only niggle is that I cant invert my axis for the camera saying that this is the first game that is not a racing game that the wife will play.
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No probs so far with ps3 version here. Just over 50% complete.
  • Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    Great game but it has a lot of bugs, and there has yet to be a patch yet on the 360. Nearly finished a level the another night
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i've finished the story side of the game and have completed about 44% of the whole thing so far.
    really enjoyed it. have had two crashes since playing it on my laptop. which i guess is pretty low but would of course prefer not to have had any.
  • PalmerwhoPalmerwho Posts: 1,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First off, love the game. The scale of the newer Lego games are awesome.

However I've finished the story and up to 80% and I'm facing a game wreaking glitch. At Amon Hen I can't collect the final mithril brick. The whack a mole game brick won't register, you complete the game get the brick and it looks like it adds to the total, only when you check the map it's still to be collected and the mithril sack is at the original amount!

Any idea when a patch is incoming?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Palmerwho wrote: »

However I've finished the story and up to 80% and I'm facing a game wreaking glitch. At Amon Hen I can't collect the final mithril brick. The whack a mole game brick won't register, you complete the game get the brick and it looks like it adds to the total, only when you check the map it's still to be collected and the mithril sack is at the original amount!

hmm interesting. i'll have to see what happens if i try it sometime. what platform you on by the way? PC, XBox etc... ?
  • PalmerwhoPalmerwho Posts: 1,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fog wrote: »
    hmm interesting. i'll have to see what happens if i try it sometime. what platform you on by the way? PC, XBox etc... ?

I'm on PS3
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Palmerwho wrote: »

I've managed to get that brick now Palmerwho.
    At first when I did it I had the same experience as you. But what you have to do is first get the brick below that area by the river. You have to use the fishing rod on the little jettie area and that gives you a winch. use it behind where you caught it and go through into a floor puzzle area. Get the brick by completing this area and then head back up to the whack a mole bit and redo it. This time the brick registers.
    Hope this helps.
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lego Batman 2 was the worst for the glitches, possibly the most bugged out game I have ever played on a Xbox 360. But it's not just the glitches thats the problem it's the game content. Each Lego title that is released the levels are shorter and the content such as characters and bonus levels decrease. Lego Star Wars 1 & 2, Indy Jones 1 & 2, Batman 1 and Harry Potter years 1-4 were bursting full of content, now it just seems like Travellers Tales hearts' are just not in it any more and they are shipping out half arsed attempts at game that appear to have been untested prior to shipping them out.

Yep ... People will buy em anyway (like myself) so why bother putting the effort in ... Just keep churning em out. :rolleyes: