Forum layout- could it do with changes?

dublintvfandublintvfan Posts: 5,077
Forum Member
is it just me or does anyone think the board layout could do with some chances and become more user friendly?

Personally i would like to see a brighter and better forum layout with faster replying and making threads ect, also a better control bar with a notification thread for your own or subscribed threads

any thoughts? what changes would you like to see?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    There needs to be an option for going to the last post read (unless I've completely missed it).
  • BenllechBenllech Posts: 2,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nalkalo wrote: »
    There needs to be an option for going to the last post read (unless I've completely missed it).

Yeah I agree with that unless I missed it too haha.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    The arrow next to the thread title is supposed to go to the 'first new post' but not the last post you have seen. Or if it's supposed to it doesn't when I use it.
  • ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,269
    Forum Member
    Yes I think the forum could do with a colour change, it does get boring looking at the same format all the time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    The arrow next to the thread title is supposed to go to the 'first new post' but not the last post you have seen. Or if it's supposed to it doesn't when I use it.

Didn't see that thanks :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no problem with some changes or the forum remaining the same.

If it does change I hope it doesn't get an extreme "stands out ad draws attention away from the text" style. Dark backgrounds and light texts aren't forum-friendly, IMO.
  • felixrexfelixrex Posts: 7,307
    Forum Member
    I quite like it as it is. It's a simple, no-frills forum. I don't really like forums that are too fussy or have too much going on and distract me. I like DigitalSpy because of it's basic simplicity.
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    Yes

They should allow threads to be re-edited and deleted
    This is the ONLY forum on the net which your not allowed too.

They should introduce new writing styles/different colours ect which will help when someone posts a long thread

I think it's time DS is bought into 2013 as it feels very 1999 at present:D
  • dublintvfandublintvfan Posts: 5,077
    Forum Member
    dan2008 wrote: »
    Yes

They should introduce new writing styles/different colours ect which will help when someone posts a long thread

exactly, i presume Ds makes its own forum rather then a provider or just never updates
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes

If they did, I fear some people will use unintelligible writing styles/colours which are far too bright :o

I agree with the edit/delete threads idea.
  • O-JO-J Posts: 18,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes

this,

It does look really outdated, and they should definetly consider giving it a re design modern look, 2013,
    This is the only site that has never had a big update,
    It still looks the way it was first made!
    Since loads of people are on here, they might aswell think of us and make things better,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Considering that its free then I dont think we can complain too much.
    Simple is best. Much like women :D
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DS is a massive forum. Some of the changes people are suggesting just aren't possible due to cost constraints and server loads.

I like it how it is with the focus on discussion and nothing else. I don't think signatures/coloured fonts etc would improve the forum, I find it's the members that make the forum most of all. Sure it would be nice to have notifications and other features, but the forum is so large and I can see how hard it may be to implement that so I'm happy with how it is right now...maybe a few minor interface tweaks here and there, but I still think it's one of the best for Soaps and other topics anywhere on the net. :)
  • coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The design is OK as it is I think. Some improvements are needed though. I suggest;

1. Being able to edit a post at any time without it expiring after 30 minutes.

2. When you create a Poll and select the option to allow multiple choices, it should allow you to specify how many choices can be made i.e. have a box which lets you enter a number.

3. Ability to delete posts.
  • AngelicPrincessAngelicPrincess Posts: 7,434
    Forum Member
    I would have more subsections a few examples of this could be:
    Eastenders
    Coronation Street
    Other UK Soaps
    International Soaps
    General Soaps
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    I would have more subsections a few examples of this could be:
    Eastenders
    Coronation Street
    Other UK Soaps
    International Soaps
    General Soaps
    I have never liked that idea.
    Granted I don't watch all the soaps but it's nice to have them all in one place.
    benbenalen wrote: »
    this,

It does look really outdated, and they should definetly consider giving it a re design modern look, 2013,
    This is the only site that has never had a big update,
    It still looks the way it was first made!
    Since loads of people are on here, they might aswell think of us and make things better,
    Yeah I think a re design would be great. Everything gets a make over but sadly DS doesn't:D
    exactly, i presume Ds makes its own forum rather then a provider or just never updates
    I don't know
    maurice45 wrote: »
    If they did, I fear some people will use unintelligible writing styles/colours which are far too bright :o

I agree with the edit/delete threads idea.
    I suppose but Mods could just try it out and see what happens.

Another thing is the faces. If you multi quote a lot of posts (like in a Episode thread) you can barely add any smilies in if you don't delete the others. A maximum of 10 is a really silly idea. As for the Smilies they are so limited. I can do more on my Mobile Phone. There's about 25 to pick all ready
    A lot of the other forums aswell have a host of different ones to use.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    felixrex wrote: »
    I quite like it as it is. It's a simple, no-frills forum. I don't really like forums that are too fussy or have too much going on and distract me. I like DigitalSpy because of it's basic simplicity.

Agree with this completely.
  • coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The DS forum uses a customized version of vBulletin forum software, so they could update it with new features pretty easily.
  • Guido9Guido9 Posts: 3,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand why certain people put N/A against their gender in their profiles - truly bizarre! Like when you're filling out an application form, this should be compulsory - that's unless of course you're not sure what gender you are, lol! It's occasionally nice to know what sex you are conversing with as a basic requirement in thread conversations on here though, not as a chat up venture but it just makes some discussions more easier to comprehend on here at times!

Perhaps more importantly though would surely be simplifying DS more so that it has seperate forum blocks for each soap - how and why this hasn't been in place for some time by now, I honestly don't know! Too much like hard work for the site's designers/mods team maybe? They've successfully categorised the appreciation threads and so on into seperate entities so why not each individual soap too, to make life a lot easier for the users?!
  • wavlovrwavlovr Posts: 3,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DS would benefit greatly with a 'like' button.
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wavlovr wrote: »

Completely agree a 'Like' and/or 'Thanks' button would be a great addition especially in the technology sections

Nothing much wrong with the style as it's easy to navigate and read but for those who want it maybe a choice of styles could be given as they do on some other forums
  • J-BJ-B Posts: 18,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wavlovr wrote: »

A 'thanks' mod is available for vBulletin.

Please no allowing users to change post colours or fonts - it would look so amateur.
  • norbitonitenorbitonite Posts: 8,676
    Forum Member
    Given the huge membership of DS, I think simple and straightforward I'd best. The forum can already be slow during 'big' episodes of a popular show, so anything that further slowed load time, such as avatars or animated smilies, would not be welcome.

I would like to see a couple of extra smilies added, though. Maybe a 'thumbs up' instead of an actual 'thank you' button?

I also wish they'd increase the functionality of the mobile site, which is what I mainly use. At the last upgrade, I lost the ability to click on a quoted post to take me back to the original post, nor does m.digitalspy let you view your own posting history, which is irritating when you know you've posted on a thread, but can'r quite remember which of several similar ones it was.

Oh, and an MQ facility on mobile - even if it were limited to say a max of 3 posts - would be great.
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a free service, I think it is fine how it is. I like the simple format and would not want any fancy additions, colours etc, which just distract from the fact that DS is a simple and very effective discussion.

I agree that some sort of 'thumbs up/thanks' smilie would be a useful addition, but other than that I think it is just fine. :)
  • DeschanelDeschanel Posts: 8,745
    Forum Member
    The only update they really need to do is update their emoticons, as they should have a LOL smiley. It's really surprising that DS doesn't, considering it's probably the most used on the net.

I don't mind the layout, but can see how some may find it a bit bland. I just wouldn't want to introduce new styles or bold colours that detract from the simplicity of the forums.