Options

"Local" BBC weather presenters

WmsheepWmsheep Posts: 388
Forum Member
Just moved up from the East Mids to the North West, and have noticed that a couple of times a week, BBC North West use the weather presenters from the East Midlands.

Surely, given the big BBC complex up at Salford, they can afford their own weather presenters, or at least nick some from the national news!!

Comments

• Options
    Invent MeridianInvent Meridian Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC seem to mix presenters from all over the country. Sometimes BBC South Today has a northern presenter.

What annoys me is the lack of green/blue screen use in recently years. Instead they use the low quality television screens in the studio. I prefer the traditional green/blue screen, one because it is high quality and two because it doesn't have lens distortion.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too many "weather presenters" can't call them forecasters as they rarely get it right here in the Northwest.

If you look at the text maps for Northern England, there are never any icons over Manchester.

For what it's worth, why not just have one crew to cover the whole country for the live forecast and let people check for their area on the text facility.
    We often get the "local" forecast immediately after the general forecast and they tell us nothing we haven't heard two minutes ago.

Think of the money that could be saved that could then be spent on improving programmes?
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For what it's worth, why not just have one crew to cover the whole country for the live forecast and let people check for their area on the text facility.
    Maybe people prefer the convenience (and depth) of a presented forecast rather than having to reach for the Text button.

Just a thought

We often get the "local" forecast immediately after the general forecast and they tell us nothing we haven't heard two minutes ago.
    Except, for my region, they tell me ij more detail.

Maybe your region is different.
  • Options
    WmsheepWmsheep Posts: 388
    Forum Member

If you look at the text maps for Northern England, there are never any icons over Manchester.

Well, I thought that the natural state of affairs for Manchester is that it will be piddling down with rain any second now, so no icon needed (sort of similar with Wales, except it's a case of "It might stop raining later in the month" there!! :p )
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the Look North area we get the delightful Keeley Donovan. Anyone who can make Peter Levy blush can't be all bad - and she's a local lass.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Complete waste of time and money.....presenter reads over map for ten seconds thus saving the BBC hundreds of thousands of pounds.
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    Complete waste of time and money.....presenter reads over map for ten seconds thus saving the BBC hundreds of thousands of pounds.

Because other people do this, and the BBC weather forecasts have always had a presenter, and focus groups seem to indicate a preference for a human presenting the forecast.
  • Options
    Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,898
    Forum Member
    Too many "weather presenters" can't call them forecasters as they rarely get it right here in the Northwest.

I agree that there are too many presenters - there are 12 England regions which could be combined into maybe four for the purposes of a weather forecast.

However saying that it is nice to have a "local" presenter especially as the forecaster here has to cover the whole of Scotland.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC hasn't always had weather presenters.

In the days when (our) money wasn't a problem for the BBC (compared with the recent increasingly revealed cavalier attitude they've been shown to have taken to the control of it), the newsreaders read the forecast over a couple of maps. That was good enough for most viewers.

Now it's "The Weather Show!"

Don't remember a "focus group" saying "We must have one!"

Anyone with an internet connection can find out 24/7 about their local weather, if they can be that assed to do it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wmsheep wrote: »
    Well, I thought that the natural state of affairs for Manchester is that it will be piddling down with rain any second now, so no icon needed (sort of similar with Wales, except it's a case of "It might stop raining later in the month" there!! :p )

The problem with the Manchester area is that it's difficult for forecasters to correctly gauge the wind speed and direction.

To paraphrase Eric Morcambe, we do get, " all the right weather, but not necessarily in the right place," nor at "the right time," so forecasts are often worse than useless.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In the days when (our) money wasn't a problem for the BBC (compared with the recent increasingly revealed cavalier attitude they've been shown to have taken to the control of it), the newsreaders read the forecast over a couple of maps. That was good enough for most viewers.
    As far back as I can remember (the mid-60's) the BBC has had weather forecasters (or presenters to use your term) presenting the weather on their news bulletins

Indeed, doing a quick google search, I found this:
    The idea of personalised weather forecasting on BBC Television was first raised at an executive lunch in 1953. The BBC's then Director-General, Sir Ian Jacob, noted that "a young but highly professional meteorologist who was in the party" had made the point that it would be better if, instead of just weather maps and charts, the forecaster himself appeared on screen.

Within a year, the anonymous young man's idea had become a reality … with the help of "an easel and treatment to walls for background" at a cost of £50.

On January 11, 1954, George Cowling of the Met Office became the first person to present a weather forecast on British television. The broadcast was live and lasted for five whole minutes. The Radio Times for that week highlighted the new service:

"From Monday onwards the television weather report and forecast will be presented by a Meteorological Office forecaster who will explain and comment on the charts shown. The change is designed to stress the continuity of the reports provided; the forecaster will show, for example, how the weather expected tomorrow is conditioned by the weather experienced today."

"Two Forecast Officers, will for the time being share the job. They are: George Cowling, a 32 year old Yorkshireman, married and the father of a five year old son; and TH Clifton, a 42 year old Londoner, married and the father of four girls and one boy."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/hi/about/newsid_7833000/7833282.stm

So they have been in place for close on 60 years!
    No, not only were focus groups a recent concept, but as the article points out, it was first suggested by [/i]"a young but highly professional meteorologist"[/i] in 1953.
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Barra Best, who does the weather (and sometimes presents the news) for BBC NI also appears on BBC Wales too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    As far back as I can remember (the mid-60's) the BBC has had weather forecasters (or presenters to use your term) presenting the weather on some of their news bulletins, maybe it was the late ones.

Indeed, doing a quick google search, I found this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/hi/about/newsid_7833000/7833282.stm

So they have been in place for close on 60 years!

No, not only were focus groups a recent concept, but as the article points out, it was first suggested by [/i]"a young but highly professional meteorologist"[/i] in 1953.

You're making me smile now, because you've proved my point, at one time there were no weather presenters, then two, for many more millions of people who watch BBC programmes than they do now..

But I can definitely remember newsreaders giving the forecast after reading the news and it would have been in the sixties. Maybe it was the late bulletins.

So it's "grown like Topsy" ever since, to become almost a "cottage industry" within the BBC.
    So unnecessary when they keep bleating about how shortages of cash has led to so many repeats and many programmes which are often mentioned on here as consider poor.

Of course I knew there were no focus groups in that time. Perhaps the fact that I used speech marks round the words, might have given the clue that I wasn't taking this too seriously.

The familiarity with the use of smilies does sometimes seem to limit perception.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keeley Donovan is also a cover presenter, Paul Hudson doubles as a correspondent for climate and weather related stories.

I am sure other weather presenters could contribute to their local news shows in other ways if not there is no reason they couldn't train to read an autocue on a quite Saturday evening.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're making me smile now, because you've proved my point, at one time there were no weather presenters, then two, for many more millions of people who watch BBC programmes than they do now..
    And that reply made me smile too, missing as it does the fact that your "recent times" hark back 60 years, and that focus groups had nothing to do with it. Let's face it, joking or not, you were wrong (as my linked source indicated).

But I can definitely remember newsreaders giving the forecast after reading the news and it would have been in the sixties. Maybe it was the late bulletins.
    It is quite possible that was the case, especially for bulletins close to closedown (11:30pm or thereabouts?) where it would have been more cost-effective to do that in the light of the very late shift that would have to be staffed (in the days when BBC World would not have existed, meaning that weather forecasters/presenters would not have been deployed on other duties). Since the advent of more channels and more broadcasters (in the early days ITV did not even exist of course) viewers' expectations have changed.

Of course I knew there were no focus groups in that time. Perhaps the fact that I used speech marks round the words, might have given the clue that I wasn't taking this too seriously.
    let's face it, sometimes it's difficult to know as the use of speech marks in your posts is often quite prevalent.
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Keeley Donovan is also a cover presenter, Paul Hudson doubles as a correspondent for climate and weather related stories.

I am sure other weather presenters could contribute to their local news shows in other ways if not there is no reason they couldn't train to read an autocue on a quite Saturday evening.

Wendy Hurrell regularly films reports and features for BBC London News and on more than one occasion in the past she co-presented the Radio London breakfast show.

Also when there was a journalists' strike Kaddy Lee Preston ended up presenting South East Today.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    And that reply made me smile too, missing as it does the fact that your "recent times" hark back 60 years, and that focus groups had nothing to do with it. Let's face it, joking or not, you were wrong (as my linked source indicated).

It is quite possible that was the case, especially for bulletins close to closedown (11:30pm or thereabouts?) where it would have been more cost-effective to do that in the light of the very late shift that would have to be staffed (in the days when BBC World would not have existed, meaning that weather forecasters/presenters would not have been deployed on other duties). Since the advent of more channels and more broadcasters (in the early days ITV did not even exist of course) viewers' expectations have changed.

let's face it, sometimes it's difficult to know as the use of speech marks in your posts is often quite prevalent.

So I wasn't wrong, newsreaders have given the weather forecast in "recent times" (by the way, it's the first time I've said that) which rather suggests a weather person isn't essential. In fact the later the forecast given, the more chance there is of it being accurate, who reads it ain't more important than the content.

There's no getting away from the fact that the number of "weather people" on salaries, holiday pay, sick pay, maternity pay, expenses, clothing allowances, etc., and gold plated pensions, seem a bit of an extravagance in these much harder times for the BBC.
    Oh hang on! They aren't are they? It's the poor licence payer who's the only one disadvantaged.

I don't mind that you like "The Weather Show" but given the fact that the forecast is often wrong then it seems a bit daft to spend as much money on presenting it.

Yes, I've been accused in the past of using "inappropriate speech marks" (that was really funny. Some people take a message board which can only be "for amusement only" so seriously). I find them better than a lot of daft smilies, but then it takes all sorts, doesn't it?
  • Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV do this too - I was surprised to see one of their Midlands weather girls doing the weather in the North East when I was on holiday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    catsitter wrote: »
    ITV do this too - I was surprised to see one of their Midlands weather girls doing the weather in the North East when I was on holiday.

Don't most itv weather presenters not interact with the news presenters anymore? I know West Country do but on Calendar it's a separate feature there is no handover, I think London is the same.
  • Options
    mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Since Heather Stott left Manchester (to go to Oz or NZ), she was a BBC Radio M'cr show host from 9-12 and was economically viable, the daytime weather forecasters have been Charlie Slater, Mel Coles and Sara Blizzard (sic) who are all based in the East Midlands. Diane Oxberry does North West Tonight and the late bulletin (which always used to be recorded, but is now live)... The weekend bulletin is now also recorded by one of the above three, making Eno redundant as a weather presenter...
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Years ago YTV had a farmer called Mr Foggitt who used to phone in his forecast every night based on country folk lore (the cows are lying on the south side of the field which means there'll be sunshine tomorrow). Over a year it turned out he was right 70% of the time and the official Met Office forecast only about 50%:eek:
  • Options
    mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Years ago YTV had a farmer called Mr Foggitt who used to phone in his forecast every night based on country folk lore (the cows are lying on the south side of the field which means there'll be sunshine tomorrow). Over a year it turned out he was right 70% of the time and the official Met Office forecast only about 50%:eek:

I remember him. Must be long dead now....:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Or this way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T572HSW47wY
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member

Now it's "The Weather Show!"

Anyone with an internet connection can find out 24/7 about their local weather, if they can be that assed to do it.

Do you remember any focus groups then?