Into the Storm

StrakerStraker Posts: 79,630
Forum Member
✭✭✭

Comments

• bottleofbestbottleofbest Posts: 8,026
    Forum Member
    That's not a remake of Twister, it looks like it's going to be so much better than Twister.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's not a remake of Twister, it looks like it's going to be so much better than Twister.

It was a facetious comment but it might as well be true going by what`s there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "oh look, a movie about twisters, must be a remake of twister" ..
    Looks nothing like it... although it looks better, thats for sure
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GoshBagosh wrote: »
    "oh look, a movie about twisters, must be a remake of twister" ..

Spot on. Well done.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    Oh joy. More CGI destruction to gawp at.

It makes you wonder how these films come about.

Do the suits ring up FX studios and ask them if there's any old unused footage knocking about they could string a feature from?
  • Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

18% rotten compared to 58% for Twister.
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well...it's not terrible...it's fine if you like spectacle-as-movie type films...a very clichéd, mawkish son/siblings/loved ones in peril needing to be rescued by parents enabling them to bond and live happily ever after storyline etc.

It's bookended by a storyline about a teenager filming time-capsule interviews, and some of the photography utilises camcorder footage, but not all. There is also a very clichéd, devil-may-care storm chasers storyline, those 'heroic' guys willing to put their life on the line to get that piece of incredible footage that will make their career.

The problem is all this has been done before, notably with Twister. Though the effects are obviously much better, frankly its not enough to make a satisfying movie. It looks like an effects showreel in search of a story...and it's a classic case of seen the trailer seen the movie.

The only plus point for me was watching it in the Empire Leicester Square in Dolby Atmos, a pretty immersive audio/visual experience, with speakers literally everywhere, massive screen, great picture quality and very luxurious and spacious seats.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice review Ted, cheers. I'd seen the trailer for this and was in two minds but I think i'll probably wait for it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Jason.

Like I say it's not terrible, just not particularly good.

In some respects its similar to Gravity, whereby to appreciate it fully you should probably see it on a big screen with very good sound. I don't think the effect will come across on dvd or blu ray.
  • moviesmanmoviesman Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    Went and seen this.Its so bad fools going after Twisters.If this happened in real life youd run a mile.This has got to be the worst film for 2014. Its just not believeable.Believe me I no a good film when I see one with actors who can act .Don't waste your money on this junk.Only in America.That says it all.Crazy yanks.:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moviesman wrote: »
    Went and seen this.Its so bad fools going after Twisters.If this happened in real life youd run a mile.This has got to be the worst film for 2014. Its just not believeable.Believe me I no a good film when I see one with actors who can act .Don't waste your money on this junk.Only in America.That says it all.Crazy yanks.:confused:

Unless you've been in a coma for the last 20 years, and unless you have never watched the Discovery channel or any of the many derivatives and spinoffs of the same...you would know that indeed there are many, many, many such 'fools' who do indeed go around chasing storms in this fashion.

They range from the genuinely hardcore scientists attempting to study the phenomenon, to the chancers with video cameras just trying to get exclusive footage to sell to various media outlets.

In fact this whole phenomenon as what prompted the 1996 film Twister, which this film clearly owes a huge debt to.
  • sjamessjames Posts: 1,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Went to see this today. Thought it was just average. Enjoyable but forgettable. Effects were pretty good though. The characters however weren't particularly memorable, Richard Armitage isn't particularly convincing as Vice Principal of the school, and he dodges between an American and English accents throughout the film.

I also felt the ending came quite abruptly, I expected more from the storm, as it was building pace, and then suddenly it was over, a few words from various characters and it ended.

In the cinema I was in, it was also slightly distracting having the older lady sitting next but one to me, believing it was a real fly-on-the-wall documentary and not a fiction film, as she kept saying things like "It's amazing how they found all this footage isn't it?" to her husband, and "Incredible how they were there at that precise moment to film this bit, I wonder how they did it?" and she kept pointing to the screen excitedly throughout the film and stating the obvious of what was happening!
  • moviesmanmoviesman Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    Unless you've been in a coma for the last 20 years, and unless you have never watched the Discovery channel or any of the many derivatives and spinoffs of the same...you would know that indeed there are many, many, many such 'fools' who do indeed go around chasing storms in this fashion.

They range from the genuinely hardcore scientists attempting to study the phenomenon, to the chancers with video cameras just trying to get exclusive footage to sell to various media outlets.

In fact this whole phenomenon as what prompted the 1996 film Twister, which this film clearly owes a huge debt to.
    Good old Ted calm yourself mate I no about Discovery channel I watch it a lot and I no theres fools who do this.Hell mend them if the twister gets them.Its only a piss shit film that's all.As for the coma what are you saying.
  • MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member
    sjames wrote: »
    Went to see this today. Thought it was just average. Enjoyable but forgettable. Effects were pretty good though. The characters however weren't particularly memorable, Richard Armitage isn't particularly convincing as Vice Principal of the school, and he dodges between an American and English accents throughout the film.

I also felt the ending came quite abruptly, I expected more from the storm, as it was building pace, and then suddenly it was over, a few words from various characters and it ended.

In the cinema I was in, it was also slightly distracting having the older lady sitting next but one to me, believing it was a real fly-on-the-wall documentary and not a fiction film, as she kept saying things like "It's amazing how they found all this footage isn't it?" to her husband, and "Incredible how they were there at that precise moment to film this bit, I wonder how they did it?" and she kept pointing to the screen excitedly throughout the film and stating the obvious of what was happening!

This is hilarious!!
  • SupercellSupercell Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    As a storm chaser myself I had to go and see this... and it was as expected. The CGI of the tornadoes was mostly quite good (apart from the wedge at the end where they look like they ran out of money!). They also seemed to be able to get remarkably close without getting a scratch.

They could have spent a few pennies on actually asking a meteorologist for advice as they got all of that wrong - never trust a meteorologist with a PHD who uses TV weather forecasts as their main source! I am sure it wouldn't have cost them much at all to use real radar frames either. This would have washed over the majority though.

The person in the armoured truck was obviously based on a Reed Timmer/Sean Casey character - but saying they hadn't got a tornado in the whole season is very unlikely! They wouldn't be able to chase without getting money for footage throughout the season.

Yes as well as normal chasers there are people who just pop out to have a closer look - they are normally quite easy to spot as they are heading in a dangerous direction or have the kids in the back of the pick up!