Options

PMQs 30/4

Comments

• Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yet the Speaker lets the Father of the House waffle on for ages.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Miliband made a dog's dinner of his pre-scripted well rehearsed question on the Royal Mail. He obviously has no idea about pre-existing HMRC rules or Company Law.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The speaker was NOT out of order. The PM wasn't answering the question and was taking too long.

It has always been the case that the final answer to the final question has something tagged onto the end of it. It's not as if Cameron has just decided to start doing this on a whim today. It's always been the case and I'm pretty sure previous PMs did it too. For some reason Bercow now has a problem with it. I suspect he will live to regret that.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Yet the Speaker lets the Father of the House waffle on for ages.

He was asking a question and framing it well in regard to Company law.
  • Options
    jack_kerouacjack_kerouac Posts: 2,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cameron slagging off Salmond for his opinions on Ukraine....

Then saying we should all back Ukraines struggle to be a free and independant nation....

but Scotland being free and independant is a NO NO ....

Cameron twisted ignoramus, cant even stay straight in one sentance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Labour curiously quiet during that reply from DC saying the cost of living crisis is false. I would have thought they'd have been up in arms over that but they were rather silent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Weird... DC just referred to Labour shouting but I couldn't hear it?
  • Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Labour curiously quiet during that reply from DC saying the cost of living crisis is false. I would have thought they'd have been up in arms over that but they were rather silent.
    Weird... DC just referred to Labour shouting but I couldn't hear it?

That is weird.... Cameron hears noise that isn't there but doesn't hear any of the questions Miliband asks him..... Does he suffer from selective hearing ?
  • Options
    paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    That is weird.... Cameron hears noise that isn't there but doesn't hear any of the questions Miliband asks him..... Does he suffer from selective hearing ?

Maybe Cameron is like everyone else and just switches off when Milliband opens his mouth as nothing sensible ever comes out of it
  • Options
    JillyJilly Posts: 20,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chaff wrote: »
    What the hell? Why did the speaker cut him off like that? Totally out of order. What an idiot.

Has anyone got the authority to tell the Speaker off or can he do what he wants?
  • Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paul2307 wrote: »
    Maybe Cameron is like everyone else and just switches off when Milliband opens his mouth as nothing sensible ever comes out of it

Hmm ignorance and arrogance, qualities I'm certain that 'certain' people would admire and encourage in a leader of a government, but not the sort of attitude and qualities that I, and I'm certain many others, like to see in a democracy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paul2307 wrote: »
    Maybe Cameron is like everyone else and just switches off when Milliband opens his mouth as nothing sensible ever comes out of i[

Then it should be easy for Cameron to answer his questions so why can't he.... maybe Cameron is just unable to answer the questions Miliband asks him and so goes off on a tangent ;-)
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jilly wrote: »
    Has anyone got the authority to tell the Speaker off or can he do what he wants?

MPs have the ultimate power to remove him but I doubt there would be sufficient votes to do that now. If Labour win the next election then I'd say he'd be safe for another Parliament but if the Conservatives win then his days could be numbered.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm ignorance and arrogance, qualities I'm certain that 'certain' people would admire and encourage in a leader of a government, but not the sort of attitude and qualities that I, and I'm certain many others, like to see in a democracy.

It would seem we have a government that is perfectly wiling to feed the greed of its closest mates (you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours) and perfectly willing to claim that levels of Inequality and poverty are falling, as if it could possibly mean something in Cameron's Britain. >:(

Both of these things they hope will keep them in government so they can keep ruling for the super super rich at the expense of everybody else... Can a government like this be anything but a disaster?
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jilly wrote: »
    Good old "Cost of living crisis".

oh for the love of god... :cry:
    Guess he hasn't heard the expression Devil in the detail.
    that's why he's failed try putting some meat on the bones Ed.
  • Options
    JillyJilly Posts: 20,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oathy wrote: »
    oh for the love of god... :cry:
    Guess he hasn't heard the expression Devil in the detail.
    that's why he's failed try putting some meat on the bones Ed.

Understood :)
  • Options
    Clarisse76Clarisse76 Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member
    It would seem we have a government that is perfectly wiling to feed the greed of its closest mates (you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours) and perfectly willing to claim that levels of Inequality and poverty are falling, as if it could possibly mean something in Cameron's Britain. >:(

Both of these things they hope will keep them in government so they can keep ruling for the super super rich at the expense of everybody else... Can a government like this be anything but a disaster?
    Well, you're certainly asking the right person - he frequently reminds us all about how he has voted for many such governments over the years...
  • Options
    JanielovesyouJanielovesyou Posts: 814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could someone let me know the rules on questions from the backbenchers

Do they have to 'lodge' the question before they ask it or , if they wanted, could they just come up with a question 30 seconds before they ask it ?
  • Options
    TimCypherTimCypher Posts: 9,052
    Forum Member
    Annsyre wrote: »
    Miliband made a dog's dinner of his pre-scripted well rehearsed question on the Royal Mail. He obviously has no idea about pre-existing HMRC rules or Company Law.

I'm sure Ed Miliband doesn't know the first thing about anything, but the issue was really Cameron's reply - he just did not answer the questions put to him.

And if he's not answering the questions, then this gives rise to a strong feeling that there's something fishy going on - and that was the impression I was left with.

If there's a perfectly reasonable explanation, why did Cameron not articulate it and then go on to make Ed look silly for not knowing company law?

I can see this one going to an independent public inquiry, to be honest - and that inquiry quite probably will exonerate the government from any impropriety.

But, for now, Cameron is not handling this well at all, and, IMHO, today was a very clear win for Ed.

Regards,

Cypher
  • Options
    paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    Then it should be easy for Cameron to answer his questions so why can't he.... maybe Cameron is just unable to answer the questions Miliband asks him and so goes off on a tangent ;-)

Half of the I doubt Milliband knows his own name let alone whether Cameron has answered him or not
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could someone let me know the rules on questions from the backbenchers

Do they have to 'lodge' the question before they ask it or , if they wanted, could they just come up with a question 30 seconds before they ask it ?

I don't know how it works but I was under the impression from what I've seen of PMQ's that the PM knows what questions, or at least the topics the leader of the opposition is going to ask about, which if correct begs the question.... "Why doesn't Cameron have the answers prepared for the questions Miliband asks him" ?
  • Options
    tony321tony321 Posts: 10,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why won't Cameron answer a question at PMQ ? The Bullingdon Club routine is a bit tired now
  • Options
    Jo MarchJo March Posts: 9,256
    Forum Member
    The speaker was NOT out of order. The PM wasn't answering the question and was taking too long.
    Hear,hear!!
  • Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Miliband really doesn't understand the difference between the HMRC rules on free shares given to employees and shares bought on the market. Isn't he supposed to have a PPE degree?

Taking as read what the rules are (I've no idea myself) I seriously doubt it's a case of him not knowing. More likely the case of misinformation making better political soundbites for the ignorant gallery he's preaching to.

Spending all 5 of his questions (he never asks a sixth they're always statements) recycling single old topics from a couple of months ago plays right into Cameron's hands when be basically asks:

"Was that it?"

That new American advisor to Ed has definately got his work cut out for him :)