Ofcom finds Top Gear/BBC breached guidelines

Comments

• andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Two people, TWO people out of an audience of what, 8,000,000 complained and ofcom paid attention to TWO PEOPLE ! Pathetic !. I too never knew that "slope" was an offensive term and I bet the vast majority of viewers didn't either. I have tried to complain to ofcom about their judgment and guess what - you can't ! Youv'e got to be realy sad to complain about things like that and even sadder to pay any attention to two people.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    I'm a massive fan of Top Gear, have been for years and I like Clarkson. However, over the more recent shows there's been a nastiness creeping in that I don't like. The BEST humour in Top Gear is when they're ripping into each other or having a go at the rubbish cars each other's bought. But for some reason when they do the overseas specials there is a tendency to have a bit of a go at the host country at times in a way which is not very nice. I don't know if that's coming from the producers wanting TG to push the limits but if so they need to stop it before the show gets into serious trouble.

I love the road trips they do, the trip to the north pole, the first Africa trip, the south America one (but even that had the stuff about drugs in it that wasn't needed) and so on.

They just need to get back to being funny and not offensive.
  • FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Time to end this show, it hasn't been worth watching in years anyway and won't be missed. What is this Clarkson's final final final warning? Seems like you can say or do what you like at the BBC as long as the cash keeps rolling in.
  • TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    :confused:
    Straker wrote: »
    It always was. Did you really think it wasn`t?

Never heard of it before this issue. Mind you, considering that all of two people complained to Ofcom clearly most other people hadn't either. Still, mustn't let two people be offended must we ....
    Forum Member
    Maybe Ofcom were worried the show was going down a slippery ....hill.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Time to end this show, it hasn't been worth watching in years anyway and won't be missed.
    Tell you what, the BBC can keep the show going, I'm sure that the 4 - 5 million fans who watch it will be more than happy, Meanwhile as you seem to dislike the show as it stands, there's no requirement for you to watch it, so you can free up an hour of your time to do or watch something else
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    So nothing to do with being lazy and sloping off when there is work to be done? :confused:
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's hope no one at Ofcom ever stumbles across an episode of In Sickness and in Health. They'd choke on their lentils.
  • HarkAtHerHarkAtHer Posts: 2,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Somebody on another forum said that he was Asian and he didn't mind the slope thing, it was just meant to be funny.

But that's not the point. Neither is the fact that most people won't have heard of 'slope' used in this way. I wouldn't be surprised if they made it up, in imitation of Chris Morris's 'cake'.

No, what riles me about this isn't that it's racist or offensive. It's that we-got-away-with-it smirkiness - because the thickos we're insulting and the killjoys we're dodging don't even realise how bad we're being.

It's like when blokes talk in code when a woman walks by. It usually involves the word 'that', plus a verb, just loud enough for you to hear. They're like tiresome sixth formers - can't bear for their cleverness to go unnoticed, but too snobbish ("we're not builders for god's sake") or fraidycat to say anything out loud.

We get it Jeremy. You're so clever that you can use a racial epithet about somebody, on national TV, that goes completely under most people's radar. Apart from Blokes Like You and silverback-botherer Hammond. Awesome.
    Forum Member
    HarkAtHer wrote: »
    Somebody on another forum said that he was Asian and he didn't mind the slope thing, it was just meant to be funny.

But that's not the point. Neither is the fact that most people won't have heard of 'slope' used in this way. I wouldn't be surprised if they made it up, in imitation of Chris Morris's 'cake'.

No, what riles me about this isn't that it's racist or offensive. It's that we-got-away-with-it smirkiness - because the thickos we're insulting and the killjoys we're dodging don't even realise how bad we're being.

It's like when blokes talk in code when a woman walks by. It usually involves the word 'that', plus a verb, just loud enough for you to hear. They're like tiresome sixth formers - can't bear for their cleverness to go unnoticed, but too snobbish ("we're not builders for god's sake") or fraidycat to say anything out loud.

We get it Jeremy. You're so clever that you can use a racial epithet about somebody, on national TV, that goes completely under most people's radar. Apart from Blokes Like You and silverback-botherer Hammond. Awesome.

You're one of the two and I claim my £10!
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In over 40 years of speaking the English language and having travelled extensively in Asia, I have never heard the word used in a racist context.

I've always said TG is educational.
    Forum Member
    HarkAtHer wrote: »

Get a life Worry about something that is worth worrying about.
    If ofcom want to investigate a bigoted, racist, homophobic foul mouthed programme, take a look at Mrs Brown's Boys !
    Forum Member
    Do I get a prize That was my 2001st post !
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andy1231 wrote: »
    Do I get a prize That was my 2001st post !

Not when you make the silly comment you did in it... racist and homophobic how is the show homophobic when it has two gay characters?

What is the racism you proclaim?
  • HumidHumid Posts: 1,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will never take Ofcom serious again.
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    Let's hope no one at Ofcom ever stumbles across an episode of In Sickness and in Health. They'd choke on their lentils.

Even worse with its' predecessor Till Death us do Part - they'd have heart attacks whilst not understanding that it was supposed to highlight racism, not fuel it.
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andy1231 wrote: »
    Two people, TWO people out of an audience of what, 8,000,000 complained and ofcom paid attention to TWO PEOPLE ! Pathetic !. I too never knew that "slope" was an offensive term and I bet the vast majority of viewers didn't either. I have tried to complain to ofcom about their judgment and guess what - you can't ! Youv'e got to be realy sad to complain about things like that and even sadder to pay any attention to two people.

Better not say that, it might offend people with depression perhaps? hmmm...or not?. I'm not really sure how far its sensible to go in relation to the use of terms we may not be too aware of.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's pretty obvious none of our major broadcasters take OFCOM seriously and
    largely ignore them. As someone once said in a different context, '' it's like being savaged by a dead sheep'' such is the impact.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scripted and offensive. In other words premeditated.

Top Gear is the same as Towie or Geordie Shore except with a bigger budget and a Middle Aged audience.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    GeorgeS wrote: »

Top Gear is the same as Towie or Geordie Shore except with a bigger budget and a Middle Aged audience.

We'll said, but if u heard it from towie and the shore , heads would roll!
  • jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clarkson is not going to be sacked. There is no possibility of this. There is also no possibility of Top gear being cancelled. If impotent rage is your thing then knock yourself out, but don't be under the illusion it is anything more than pointless impotent rage.

If you wish your rage to be other than impotent, pick a target that actually matters.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonbwfc wrote: »
    Clarkson is not going to be sacked. There is no possibility of this. There is also no possibility of Top gear being cancelled. If impotent rage is your thing then knock yourself out, but don't be under the illusion it is anything more than pointless impotent rage.

If you wish your rage to be other than impotent, pick a target that actually matters.

It's all about money. If he damages the BBC brand more than he earns money for them he is out the door faster than Russell Brand and Wossy
  • ChipPaperChipPaper Posts: 18,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Out of curiosity, why is racism against Asian people never taken as seriously as racism against black people? If it was a racist term against black people used there'd be no question of some kind of punishment, yet when racism involves Asian people people seem to joke about it more, or see any kind of punishment as an over reaction.

Why is there such a disparity?
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it not a Vietnam War era epithet? I have heard it many times both IRL and on films.
  • TelenautTelenaut Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    GeorgeS wrote: »

Offensive to whom? The two people who complained? So that leaves a worldwide audience of 499,999,998 non offended people. Waycism card declined.
    ChipPaper wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, why is racism against Asian people never taken as seriously as racism against black people? If it was a racist term against black people used there'd be no question of some kind of punishment, yet when racism involves Asian people people seem to joke about it more, or see any kind of punishment as an over reaction.

Why is there such a disparity?

It isn't. Now ask why racism towards other people from these minorities isn't taken as seriously as racist incidents carried out by white people.