Can people please stop.......

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
Forum Member
It would be nice if people stopped referring to Charlie as the 'black girl. She is mixed race and as much as it would make some people happy to talk about her as some black girl with attitude, she is not! She is half black and half white, so instead of looking at Charlie as black, just look at her as a person.

taken from the Daily mail

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=460867&in_page_id=1770

perfect example

She even put her body between Charley and Chanelle, when it looked as if the Afro-Caribbean girl might actually boil over and strike the petite northerner.

It was just a few hours later, when the black girl and the white girl were singing outside, that an over-excited Emily exclaimed to her new mate: "You pushing it out, you n*****!"

Comments

• robpw2robpw2 Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    surely the paper is being racist ...
    it would be like reffering to me as the gay man ..

it should just print her name rather than the coulour of her skin ,.
    " her black housemate, Charley Uchea. "
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    So if we refer to her as the b**** girl are we inherently racist?

For christs sake the whole business is pathetic. Why can anybody but whites use the n word without censure. Charley said it more than once and said she was one.

If this is equality then I think I'll move to iraq
  • MelBlanc22MelBlanc22 Posts: 3,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Daily mail is racist and always has been.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,842
    Forum Member
    Surely she should be referred to as "Charley"... it is, after all, her name...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't care what colour Charley is, she'd still be an argumentative, workshy bitch if she was green.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    zankoku87 wrote: »
    Surely she should be referred to as "Charley"... it is, after all, her name...

No she is the 'Afro Carribean girl'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it wasn't supposed to be derogatory to call someone black. I know of Asians that refer to themselves as black, and I thought black people were proud to call themselves black. I know some whites who want to be black.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    You forgot manipulative and self important
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On a lighter note........I find it so funny that in America, Naomi Campbell is referred to as an African-American.
    Forum Member
    Toasty wrote: »
    I thought it wasn't supposed to be derogatory to call someone black. I know of Asians that refer to themselves as black, and I thought black people were proud to call themselves black. I know some whites who want to be black.

It’s not offensive to describe Charley as a black girl, but it is somewhat lacking in any kind of respect to substitute “the black girl” for “Charley”.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zankoku87 wrote: »
    It’s not offensive to describe Charley as a black girl, but it is somewhat lacking in any kind of respect to substitute “the black girl” for “Charley”.

that, I agree with.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember when the Daily Mail grudgingly stopped reporting the colour of every black suspect in every criminal case they covered, regardless of it having any bearing on the case or not.

"Two men, black, robbed an old lady... etc".

The Daily Mail is doing it again, except the black men are now all illegal immigrants. Most evil tabloid ever.
  • pseudonympseudonym Posts: 2,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Since yesterday I've had to think a lot about this subject and because of the opening post I remembered a word I heard many years ago. The word is "Mulatto" which described the child of one negro and one white parent. Another poster wrote that she/he was told off in another forum for using the term "coloured" I believe Charley should be reffered to as Charley, plain and simple.

I still feel a bit confused though as which term should be used so as not to cause offence, seems like in this country you should use the term Black but that does not go down well in America.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry but I don't see the OP's point on this thread. In the quote given,

"It was just a few hours later, when the black girl and the white girl were singing outside, that an over-excited Emily exclaimed to her new mate: "You pushing it out, you n*****!"

They refer to the colour of both girls, and if they hadn't, the words Emily had used wouldn't have made sense. The article needed to establish that there was a black girl and white girl involved for the point to be made IMO.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pseudonym wrote: »
    Since yesterday I've had to think a lot about this subject and because of the opening post I remembered a word I heard many years ago. The word is "Mulatto" which described the child of one negro and one white parent. Another poster wrote that she/he was told off in another forum for using the term "coloured" I believe Charley should be reffered to as Charley, plain and simple.

I still feel a bit confused though as which term should be used so as not to cause offence, seems like in this country you should use the term Black but that does not go down well in America.

What happens if you dont know the persons name? This happened to me once and I went all round the houses attempting to describe someone when if I'd simply said black it would have been much simpler.
    In that case will it soon be wrong to describe someone as simply Japanese or little or a man?
    Worlds going mad I think.
    Forum Member
    cj1234 wrote: »
    What happens if you dont know the persons name? This happened to me once and I went all round the houses attempting to describe someone when if I'd simply said black it would have been much simpler.
    In that case will it soon be wrong to describe someone as simply Japanese or little or a man?

It's fine to call someone black or asian or whatever if you're describing them and/or don't know the name, but as I said earlier, it's a little disrespecful to call someone "the black girl" when you do know her name, and in the case of Charley, we do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    so so so mad!
  • Mr PoeticMr Poetic Posts: 1,964
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even the word black doesnt wash with alot of people

There is an organisation called Ligali who want the term black replaced with African or African British

Wont get off the ground. The idea of SOME Caribean people referring to themselves as African is about as likely as Emily referring to herself as one
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't care what colour Charley is, she'd still be an argumentative, workshy bitch if she was green.

How very true! :D
  • colinbcolinb Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    cj1234 wrote: »

Totally emathise with that dilemma. When you are trying to diffentiate in a group, it should be possible to use the most obvious 'difference' to make the job easy without it being 'something-ist'.

To point up the silliness, if there were two people to differentiate between, one of each gender, would it be sexist to point out the one you mean as "the woman"??

On Question Time they use the style/colour of the clothes to pick out audience members...
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've not heard the term Mulatto used in the UK, I think it used to be used to refer to the children of black slaves and their white masters, so probably not PC. I don't personally see what's wrong with describing someone you don't know by their skin colour if it helps to identify who you mean, but if you do know their names, obviously they should be used.
  • pseudonympseudonym Posts: 2,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On a lighter note........I find it so funny that in America, Naomi Campbell is referred to as an African-American.

But that isn't correct, is it? What is the other term the americans use? something like cucasion or something....and I think that meant white? not sure...It is very easy to cause offence without meaning to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Personally it be more offended if some idiot kept calling me colored.
  • liamhereliamhere Posts: 2,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nubian000 wrote: »
    No she is the 'Afro Carribean girl'

isn't she mixed race? :confused:
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But that isn't correct, is it? What is the other term the americans use? something like cucasion or something....and I think that meant white? not sure...It is very easy to cause offence without meaning to.

The point is that because Naomi Campbell is British, she can't be African American.