After two weeks, my ear just unblocked

Comments

• RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    I fail to see your point. You are now on ignore.

If you ignore everyone on here who thinks you're wrong and that you actually have one nose and two nostrils, not two noses, I'm fairly sure you'll end up just talking to yourself.

I'm glad your ear's unblocked though, blocked ears are horrible.
  • Tess-gTess-g Posts: 29,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fail to see your point. You are now on ignore.
    Woohooo.....I feel as though I've come of age :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All I am saying is that it could be a North South thing, it has yet to be established if it is or isn't. At this point in time all we know is some people say noses, and some people have very strong opinion it is simply nose. It seems opinion is split.

I don't see *some* people saying noses is correct, I see *one* person and they are just wrong. Maybe English isn't his first language.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »
    Yes, I know some propellers have two blades, but many don't. I see the point you are trying to make, but it would be nonsensical to say a pair of propellers, bearing in mind blade numbers, whereas scissors AFAIK always have two blades.

I've edited my post above, slightly, FYI.

There is one exception if you have a counter rotation outboard, i.e. two outboards on the same boat. One propeller turns clockwise and one turns anti-clockwise, giving more stability to the boat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counter-rotating_propellers

http://www.mercurymarine.com/engines/outboards/verado/six-cylinder/?model=1
    (look at specifications tab)
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    - Double Post -
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    There is one exception if you have a counter rotation outboard, i.e. two outboards on the same boat. One propeller turns clockwise and one turns anti-clockwise, giving more stability to the boat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counter-rotating_propellers

http://www.mercurymarine.com/engines/outboards/verado/six-cylinder/?model=1
    (look at specifications tab)

I admire your dedication but you are talking to someone who is pretending to not understand the word 'nose'.

Therefore, I fear your links to propeller specifications may be aiming somewhat high.
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been suffering with a heavy cold, and one effect of it was a blocked right ear. Strangely enough the left ear was perfectly fine

Rather unexpectedly it just unblocked itself when I blew one of my noses. Obviously the feeling of relief was immeasurable (a definite feeling of "ahhhhh!!!!" ). I am under no illusion. it WILL once again block itself, it may be 5 minutes in may be 5 hours, but the direction of the wind is quite clear, the ear will soon be permanently unblocked (until the next cold).

You have more than one nose :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, we have established that due to some North/South divide that people from neither the North or the South quite understand, Keio has two noses.
  • Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I (along with most other people) have two. A left one and a right one. Although what I regard as the right nose may be different to what you regard as the right nose if you are looking straight at me

If you wish to define the two noses as jointly making up a single nose, it is fine with me.

I note the dictionary definition and am not saying anyone is wrong for using that, simply that in some parts of the country the expression is "left and right noses"
  • tania4stevetania4steve Posts: 545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK I give in, been lurking all day & can't stand it any more so I'll bite ...find me ONE other person who speaks English as a first language whether from the North/South/West/East/Centre of the UK who has EVER referred to a human being as having "2 noses" or " a right nose and a left nose".
    Forum Member
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    I admire your dedication but you are talking to someone who is pretending to not understand the word 'nose'.

Therefore, I fear your links to propeller specifications may be aiming somewhat high.

I can think of one expression regarding all this about noses.

http://onlineslangdictionary.com/meaning-definition-of/piss-in-the-wind

ETA.

I'm just waiting for the thread 'I know south Devon, but in reality haven't really lived there very long or have seen very much of the county', so they'll be owned by yours truly. ;)
  • LockesLockes Posts: 6,568
    Forum Member
    I am not sure of medical definitions but no one says "I am blowing one of my nostrils", they say "I am blowing one of my noses"

this really made me LOL :D
  • Tess-gTess-g Posts: 29,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK I give in, been lurking all day & can't stand it any more so I'll bite ...find me ONE other person who speaks English as a first language whether from the North/South/West/East/Centre of the UK who has EVER referred to a human being as having "2 noses" or " a right nose and a left nose".
    We need a poll....:D
    Forum Member

I think you'll be in for a long wait.
  • lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,647
    Forum Member
    I (along with most other people) have two. A left one and a right one. Although what I regard as the right nose may be different to what you regard as the right nose if you are looking straight at me

If you wish to define the two noses as jointly making up a single nose, it is fine with me.

I note the dictionary definition and am not saying anyone is wrong for using that, simply that in some parts of the country the expression is "left and right noses"

They are nostrils.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bex_123 wrote: »

...should we ever meet, I totally owe you a pint for that post. Possibly even a short as well if I'm feeling flush.
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    ...should we ever meet, I totally owe you a pint for that post. Possibly even a short as well if I'm feeling flush.

It was a good post. I have to agree.
  • Hobbes1966Hobbes1966 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    You can continue with this flawed logic if you want, but even if it was true you are simply demonstrating the language we use in every day conversation (e.g. "I blew one of my noses and the left ear unblocked itself"), does not always fit with technical and medical definitions of words.

In Manchester they call people "duck", as in "are you alight me duck". The medical definition of a human is "not a duck", but Manchester people say it anyway, and no one picks them up because its just an expression, just like noses.

I'm a Manc and have never, in all my 46 years, had any other Manc call me Duck (or heard anyone else call someone Duck either)

eta..... We have one nose, two nostrils too.... who'd have thought!
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Op do you have tissues that are half the size of regular ones and only ever cover one nostril (or nose if you insist) at a time?
  • dsimillerdsimiller Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's the point, if you say "pass a pair of scissors, darlin", you would not expect to get two scissors back!
    Same with pants.

Yes,I'm only wearing a pant today,not a pretty sight.
  • OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hobbes1966 wrote: »
    I'm a Manc and have never, in all my 46 years, had any other Manc call me Duck (or heard anyone else call someone Duck either)

eta..... We have one nose, two nostrils too.... who'd have thought!

I am a 'Stokie' (from Stoke on Trent) and we quite often call people 'duck' even though we KNOW they aren't ducks, we also call people who are total strangers "Mate" even though they aren't our "mate" in any sense of the word,
    But we have only one nose (except for the obvious poor folk who have had some sort of illness or accident, or who have maybe 'cut it off to spite their face')

and we usually have just the 2 NOSTRILS on the one nose,
    the OP reminds me of my dear old granny, she was a stubborn old dear and would never back down or admit she was wrong even to the point of storming off in a 'huff' (the equivalent of putting us on ignore)

She once insisted that there are 2 Mondays in a week and refused to be moved (I dunno why, but she did)
    and that we don't live in the atmosphere the atmosphere is 'up there' where ever "up there" was,
    that there are only 12 hours in a day,.... and 12 hours in a night,
    that 'recipe' is pronounced "RE-SIPE" and likewise receipt is pronounced 'RE-SITE',
    I loved and miss my gran, she did make us laugh at times,
  • OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dsimiller wrote: »
    Yes,I'm only wearing a pant today,not a pretty sight.

Or for that matter, a trouser, or a knicker,

:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh please keep this thread going, it's cheered me up no end!:D:D

Just in case anyone would like to join Keiō Line:

http://www.wikihow.com/Feel-Like-You-Have-Two-Noses

:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »

I will hold you to that :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My right ear blocked up earlier when I blew my nose a little too hard. Patiently waiting for it to unblock so I can have my full sense of hearing back...