"Low fat " crisps etc

AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
Forum Member
just tried some of these "might lites"

they're ok but much like all "low fat" alternatives they taste slightly sweet. does anyone know why the manufacturers put sugar in? You wouldn't have it in "noraml crisps"so why put it in the low fat ones?

Comments

• curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought these and was disappointed when I pointed them ( I follow weightwatchers) that they were the same as a normal packet of crisps from a multipack. I agree they did taste sweet .. I,ll stick with quavers, french fries or snack a jacks.
  • LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Space raiders have less calories than the weight watchers crisps and taste far better.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These crisps are a massive con. The reason they have less calories is because they have less in the packet. Read the weight and you'll see that. If they were the same bag weight as standard crips, there would be very little difference. You're far better off having a smaller portion of normal crisps.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Darcy_ wrote: »
    These crisps are a massive con. The reason they have less calories is because they have less in the packet. Read the weight and you'll see that. If they were the same bag weight as standard crips, there would be very little difference. You're far better off having a smaller portion of normal crisps.
    Off topic slightly but on Food Unwrapped they looked into why Weight Watchers bread had less calories than a standard loaf - was it special flour or something?
    Nope, the loaf was smaller meaning that they could reduce the ingredients on the labeling = less calories.
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Darcy_ wrote: »
    Agree having checked the calories etc, though to be fair for someone with my lack of will power, the smaller bag is good. However
    still don't understand - why the sugar
  • RickyBarbyRickyBarby Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member
    I try avoid low fat crisps and low sugar or sugar free drinks.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eat normal ones, but less. I don't believe in removing certain food from your diet, even fat is important. It's all about moderation, IMO.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Eat normal ones, but less. I don't believe in removing certain food from your diet, even fat is important. It's all about moderation, IMO.

i agree..i had some normal ready salted walkers ones, and just took afew out and sealed the bag..left the other bit for another day
  • wavy-davywavy-davy Posts: 7,122
    Forum Member
    Walkers extra crunchy are as low fat as the low fat varieties and much nicer.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    My view on low fat muffins, low fat crisps and all that stuff is just eat fewer crisps.

if you are going to indulge then there is no point indulging on something horrible.
  • Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    M&S' 'count on us' crisps are the lowest fat I've found and near to kettle type crisps. Pity they don't do cheese & onion tho' - at about 60/70p a small bag you couldn't over indulge too often.
  • cbe21okcbe21ok Posts: 3,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nearly all low fat/salt crisps are crap. Agree with the other posters, just buy the normal crisps and eat less if you are worried about the content.
    Just purchased a large bag of M&S 'Full on Flavour 4 Cheese & Red Onion' and plan on scoffing a few of them tonight as they are top notch. I used to buy Seabrooks but they are not the same since they changed the recipe. Shame.
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    wavy-davy wrote: »
    Walkers extra crunchy are as low fat as the low fat varieties and much nicer.

Really? might give them a try