Popping and clicking problem on BBC Local Radio Listen Again

Comments

• ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've also complained about this. I'm glad the problem is being sorted out, though it's annoying it's taken them 4 months just to do this. I can't help feeling that if it was something that was affecting people watching Eastenders, or whatever other BBC shows are the most popular on iplayer, it would have been sorted out much sooner.
  • carrier_wavecarrier_wave Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    In an email reply to my complaint about this, the answer was not encouraging -

"Whilst we can confirm that the issue is under active investigation, we do not have any further information or an exact date when it would be fixed."

To say I'm disappointed in the ability of our national broadcaster to fix this fault after all this time is an understatement, especially as I have recently paid £145.50 for my licence.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    This is getting ridiculous now!. Affecting almost every local station (I listen to a few, being a displaced northerner!). No change to the BBC message & no response from the BBC. Has anyone else heard anything else.. or at least a decent e-mail address to complain to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    That Facebook post is about the nuts'n'bolts of it.

Apparently it's still a number of weeks away, though :(

What Facebook page HT ?
  • Harris TweedHarris Tweed Posts: 1,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brendab64 wrote: »
    What Facebook page HT ?

It was about three posts above mine. This show posted an explanation (which in the nature of Facebook walls is now well buried): https://www.facebook.com/GeoffBarkersRocknRollParty

Let's put it like this.. the thing that's failed isn't available at Maplins, and there is a substantial lead time to have one supplied (having already exhausted several options short of that).

In short, as I understand it, the whole system was set up many years ago outside the infrastructure used by network radio (and under the control of English Regions, not "Future Media" as it's now called). Probably a bit like owning a Rover* in a town full of Ford garages.

(* - deliberate choice)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A DJ on BBC Tees apologised about the "Live" Stream of his programme on Sunday and said hopefully it was being fixed by those who know about these things at the BBC. I don't know if it was fixed as I was listening via DAB.
  • PubcrawlerPubcrawler Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've give up listening, used to enjoy Roger Day's show and others. Hope it's fixed soon. :cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I gave up and listened to Skuesy on 765 kHz last night, which proved to be better quality than any of the alternatives. I had tried all the relevant local streams, some of which were only capable of streaming audio for a very few seconds before cutting out. For crying out loud Beeb sort it out, we pay you good money for this awful non service.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't had the chance to hear what was said but this came up on Feedback on Radio 4 today(repeated on Sunday)and ironically it is available on the BBC's Listen Again service which seems to be ok...it seems to be only affecting the local service.
  • MikeBrMikeBr Posts: 7,854
    Forum Member
    It's the last item on the programme and includes a short recording of the pops and clicks.

A BBC statement was read out.

The problem is a failing motherboard which is having to be individually manufactured.

They hope to have it fixed by early March.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not the best system in the world if a motherboard can mess up a whole system(Motherboards do go wrong)

They should've had one ready to replace it for when it went wrong or the company they are buying it from/designed it/supplying it should've had something ready as its likely to happen again.
  • Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 82,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This problem was discussed on Phil Butler's 70s/ 80s show on BBC Radio Sheffield on Friday. He indicated that the BBC Engineers are looking into it and it should be solved by April. Is it really that complex that it will take weeks?
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not the best system in the world if a motherboard can mess up a whole system(Motherboards do go wrong)

They should've had one ready to replace it for when it went wrong or the company they are buying it from/designed it/supplying it should've had something ready as its likely to happen again.

It could be that they do carry spare(s) but the spare(s) are already in use and others away for repair or to obsolete to repair.

It could be a one off so the supplier just made what was ordered, they are not going to make an extra one just in case the customer wants it.

Hard to know without the full facts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    It could be that they do carry spare(s) but the spare(s) are already in use and others away for repair or to obsolete to repair.

It could be a one off so the supplier just made what was ordered, they are not going to make an extra one just in case the customer wants it.

Hard to know without the full facts.

It is difficult to say without the facts. Not helped by it going on for seemingly so long. Even if you only make a limited amount...how long does it take to build a motherboard? There must be a design/plan ready to work on when required.

Would they be built by hand or by some kind of robot/computer program?

Is the internet service run by BBC engineers or an outside contractor?
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... Is the internet service run by BBC engineers or an outside contractor?

Is anything run by BBC engineers now?

If it is their contractor then they should be able to hit them with some sort of penalty charge for a degraded service but it is quite likely that the contractors has a get out clause particularly if it is old non-standard equipment installed before they took over.
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    Couldn't they just borrow the board from the 6Music server? I mean, no one listens to that anyway do they?:D

On a serious point though, surely they could borrow one from a lower profile service.

Obviously engineering know better. (shrug smilie).
  • MikeBrMikeBr Posts: 7,854
    Forum Member
    It is difficult to say without the facts. Not helped by it going on for seemingly so long. Even if you only make a limited amount...how long does it take to build a motherboard? There must be a design/plan ready to work on when required.

Would they be built by hand or by some kind of robot/computer program?

Is the internet service run by BBC engineers or an outside contractor?

I read or heard somewhere, maybe earlier in this thread, that the motherboard was individually designed for the BBC local radio system, which is not the same as the current network one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's interesting...I wonder if its because the one board totally handles all BBC local radio output(which is quite a lot of stations to deal with)and therefore its not one board per station or a few...that sounds quite complicated.
  • Harris TweedHarris Tweed Posts: 1,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's interesting...I wonder if its because the one board totally handles all BBC local radio output(which is quite a lot of stations to deal with)and therefore its not one board per station or a few...that sounds quite complicated.

I think the broken one controls 20 stations.. so I guess there are two.
    Forum Member
    There is a lot of speculation on here, largely because the BBC hardly ever give full details when things go wrong on their patch. What we need are full details and not the rather vague info given out on air & online. The BBC are great at reporting faults in other industry & forever demanding clarity in interviews etc, so why can't they give us the complete story on this one? After all, if this fault is not remedied soon, six months will have passed since the first signs of the problem.
    If there is a good reason that it will take this long to effect a cure then fine, but please BBC, give us all the facts - it is us who are paying for practically everything you do!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My computer set up means that I do not hear Listen Again anyhow(I'm still on dial up)but here's a thought...BBC Radio can be heard I believe via the Radio player that carries commercial radio so can you listen to BBC local radio on that player?

If you can does it work or does the same fault show up because the fault is embedded in the original data and all the Radio Player does is relay the material from the original BBC system?
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope that they sort this out soon. Was listening to BBC Jersey, who do rugby commentary on a Sat afternoon...it is a tad annoying.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just started another thread about this to do with BBC Essex

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1638928

But surprised its been going on all this time and not yet been fixed.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still unable to listen to BBC Essex on line due to the clicks.
    The FM signal is quite poor here can only really pick it up on the Tecsun 600
    Wish they would hurry up and fix this.
    Forum Member
    I've just been listening to Radio Humberside, and it seems to me that the problem is getting worse - I wonder if the system will fail completely before the problem is sorted out? I for one would not be surprised.