Popping and clicking problem on BBC Local Radio Listen Again

Comments

• ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apologies for repeating something I said in an earlier post, but does anyone else believe it would have dragged on for so many months had there been a major problem when watching popular BBC shows like Eastenders or Dr Who. I certainly don't!
  • darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tried to listen to the vintage top 40 show on BBC radio cornwall last saturrday ,but gave up due to the appaling sound :( (it was a shame as ed stewpot stewart stood in for saun tilly )
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ClareB wrote: »
    Apologies for repeating something I said in an earlier post, but does anyone else believe it would have dragged on for so many months had there been a major problem when watching popular BBC shows like Eastenders or Dr Who. I certainly don't!

I doubt it, there would be an outcry with the rest of the media behind it, but radio is the poor relation.

I've always said one of the problems with the BBC being non commercial is that ultimately nothing matters, people still get paid even if it's farting away left, right and centre and barely listenable - "what does it matter?" Anybody else would have replaced whole chunks of equipment and got it sounding better than ever.
  • MikeBrMikeBr Posts: 7,854
    Forum Member
    Bernie Keith on Rock N Roll Heaven has just apologised again for it, says the engineers now are telling him it will be fixed by early April.

Listening to him live on FM to avoid the pops and clicks on Listen Again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    The new parts have arrived and testing will begin on Monday.

The BBC's technology partner is called ATOS ... Please make up own gags..

Let's see what happens in the week.
  • Nick_GNick_G Posts: 5,137
    Forum Member

A good opportunity to get the sound quality of the BBC local stations up to the same level of the nationals. They sound dull and flat (and are in mono), presumably because they are using low bit-rate mp3 streams rather than the 128k AAC or better of the nationals.
  • icefallicefall Posts: 7,709
    Forum Member

Fabulous, at least they have arrived thats good news.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    This is a streaming problem. Possibly the seek mechanism of the harddrive interfereing with the audio ( a voltage spike as laptop audio not hifi !)- if you can output as digital signal to say USB headphones or a usb enabled loudspeaker it should notbe present
  • James VertiganJames Vertigan Posts: 2,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any updates on this? Seems to be getting worse on some stations
  • PubcrawlerPubcrawler Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any updates on this? Seems to be getting worse on some stations

Agree...just tried to listen to Radio Kent and have given up after 10 mins. Totally unlistenable, I thought this was our BBC!
    Come on BBC GET IT SORTED :mad::mad:
  • North DownsNorth Downs Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trying to listen online to Roger Day on BBC Kent at the moment as football has taken over FM.:mad: All sorts of irritating noises spoiling it, unfortunately.
  • darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i was listening to the steve white soul show tonight on bbc radio sheffield and steve mentioned the iplayer problem and said that it was being sorted out at the moment and should all be fixed by next week (he has been saying the same thing for a few weeks though :) )
    Forum Member
    darnall42 wrote: »
    i was listening to the steve white soul show tonight on bbc radio sheffield and steve mentioned the iplayer problem and said that it was being sorted out at the moment and should all be fixed by next week (he has been saying the same thing for a few weeks though :) )

James Addyman at BBC Radio Leeds said that he had an email from one of the engineers involved last Thursday saying that they had now got some cabling they needed to get the new equipment connected up, they'd be doing final testing this week and were hoping to get it finally sorted by the weekend.

Still popping and clicking today though.
  • Harris TweedHarris Tweed Posts: 1,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Due to be fitted next week now.

(Which is not to say any of the various dates mentioned above wasn't accurate at the time! There does seem to be a bit more confidence about this one, though.)
  • Danny H 73Danny H 73 Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    Heard a trail on BBC Essex this morning - apologising for the recent poor quality of the internet streams and that this would be fixed from start of programmes on Thursday 12th! Good news :)
  • Harris TweedHarris Tweed Posts: 1,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Putting out a trail is an interesting way of going about things!

In some ways.. good old transparent, honest BBC.

In other ways.. I'm very much doubting they'd make a trail to apologise if someone had made an editorial screw-up. So why do the tech guys get it?
    Forum Member
    Danny H 73 wrote: »
    Heard a trail on BBC Essex this morning - apologising for the recent poor quality of the internet streams and that this would be fixed from start of programmes on Thursday 12th! Good news :)

This was said by Alan Ross, Head of Technology, English regions on Radio 4 Feedback when he was interviewed about the problem and why it has taken five months to hopefully fix it.
    Starts 1 minute 45 in:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/feedback#playepisode1
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were still apologising about the problem on BBC Tees on Sunday 8th April 2012.
  • Danny H 73Danny H 73 Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    Putting out a trail is an interesting way of going about things!

In some ways.. good old transparent, honest BBC.

In other ways.. I'm very much doubting they'd make a trail to apologise if someone had made an editorial screw-up. So why do the tech guys get it?

Sounded like a centrally produced trail to me rather than something Chelmsford did themselves.... I'd expect to hear it on other local stations during this week...
  • KnobTwiddlerKnobTwiddler Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recorded the two hour shows of Pirates on Parade from Radio Norfolk over the holidays and the clicking was a pain in the a**e.
    So far I've spent over 2 hours trying to edit out the dam clicks and pops using Audacity.

Four months to sort this problem is totally unacceptable.:mad:
  • PubcrawlerPubcrawler Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MikeBr wrote: »
    This was said by Alan Ross, Head of Technology, English regions on Radio 4 Feedback when he was interviewed about the problem and why it has taken five months to hopefully fix it.
    Starts 1 minute 45 in:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/feedback#playepisode1

Alan Ross seems to dismiss people who listen via the i-player as not not that important to them. :mad:
    The interveiwer made a good point when he suggested a notice being posted on line, would have been a good idea but then again we are not important to them. :mad::mad:
  • baggiovalderrambaggiovalderram Posts: 702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was listening to Sean Rowley All Back to Mine BBC Kent on the I-Player and he mentioned that the popping sounds should be cured by the end of this week...so here's hoping...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    The "fix" is due to go in tonight (wed 11th >> Thursday 12th)

All LR streams will be off overnight to allow this to happen.

That's the plan :-)
    Forum Member
    Pubcrawler wrote: »
    Alan Ross seems to dismiss people who listen via the i-player as not not that important to them. :mad:
    The interveiwer made a good point when he suggested a notice being posted on line, would have been a good idea but then again we are not important to them. :mad::mad:

The online notice was posted in January on the Iplayer site if you clicked on Iplayer help and then latest programme issues, six to eight weeks after the problem occurred. IMO it should have been displayed earlier and on the local radio pages where the internet stream links are so that people did not think it was a problem with their computer, which many did.

Whilst BBC local radio has an older audience the figure quoted, 0.1% of "our, presumably the BBC's radio, audience listen to local radio on the internet, does seem very small. According to RAJAR BBC radio's weekly audience is 34.9 million, local radio 7.3 million and 10.2% of the population listen to radio through the internet every week. That's not including Listen Again.