Only Fools and Horses:To Hull and Back

Xavier QuebeckXavier Quebeck Posts: 78,365
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am a massive Only fools fan and have seen all the episodes hundred of times but this episode does big me as I feel the writing could be better in two scenes.

In the scene where Slater and his colleagues are checking out the lorry park after receiving a call of a break in how do they not see del's van? It was parked almost opposite to the police car, so they would of done well not to see it.

Secondly, why does Rodney follow Denzil all the way to Hull? He isn't the stupid. Anyone else would of just flashed their lights until he pulled over.

Anyway I still love the episode but those two things bug me!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never liked this episode, something about it just falls flat - and I do like OFAH generally.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's hilarious when they get the trawler and manage to make it to Amsterdam.
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never liked this episode, something about it just falls flat - and I do like OFAH generally.

The jolly boys outing was a cracker though
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's strange seeing the usual interiors on film instead of VT.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It wasnt filmed in front of an audience and doesnt have a laughter track iirc. So its bound to have a different feel.

Have to say I thought it was great though. Denzil being driven steadily mad with sightings of Del always makes me smile.

It was the episode that really put OFAH on the map being the first feature length Christmas special and created alot of press interest who were keen to create a competition with the Minder special that year. It was like a changing of the guard, OFAH never looked back.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always really liked To Hull And Back. I guess there's no accounting for taste!
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    It wasnt filmed in front of an audience and doesnt have a laughter track iirc. So its bound to have a different feel.

Have to say I thought it was great though. Denzil being driven steadily mad with sightings of Del always makes me smile.

It was the episode that really put OFAH on the map being the first feature length Christmas special and created alot of press interest who were keen to create a competition with the Minder special that year. It was like a changing of the guard, OFAH never looked back.

Minder had been massive in the ratings until 1985, but this episode derailed Minder, which went into a decline with increasingly poor stories and a character change, but made OFAH into THE show of the eighties. By 1989 the regular series was attracting 20 million viewers.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    It's hilarious when they get the trawler and manage to make it to Amsterdam.

Del "Holland"

Oil Rig Worker "Its over there"

The bit when they are lost a sea is great.

Rodney "you can steer a ship by the stars"

(all looking)

Albert "there's millions of them"

Del "is there nothing that helps"

Albert "well they have all got names the bear things like that"

Del " well find that then"

Albert "what does it look like"

Del "well it looks like a Bloody rabbit don't it"

Albert "were will I find it"

Del "Up There standing on top of the Glacier Mint"
  • ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    Del "Holland"

(all looking)

Classic..makes me laugh every time I watch it. My favourite though has to be Batman and Robin followed by the blow up dolls,
    Then there was the episode where they both fancied the same girl and Del leaves Rodney under the sunbed and he gets his revenge with the hang glider....they just don't make sitcoms like that anymore..
  • zooooooooooooozooooooooooooo Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Absoloutely :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always really liked To Hull And Back. I guess there's no accounting for taste!

And me, one of my favourites.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Del "Holland"

(all looking)

"It's Concorde" :D
  • ugley_mattugley_matt Posts: 322
    Forum Member
    "Robin Hood, Robin Hood, Riding through the glen"
  • tinmantinman Posts: 3,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The best one imo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Minder had been massive in the ratings until 1985, but this episode derailed Minder, which went into a decline with increasingly poor stories and a character change, but made OFAH into THE show of the eighties. By 1989 the regular series was attracting 20 million viewers.

Wow I never knew that, strange that in our house that Xmas night we watched Minder and taped OFAH, found Minder on the Orient Express on YouTube last night and watched it, I can see why people watched OFAH back then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tinman wrote: »
    The best one imo.

I never tire of it especially the scene in the night club where Del puts the singer of her stride with a sarky comment.:D
  • darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a massive Only fools fan and have seen all the episodes hundred of times but this episode does big me as I feel the writing could be better in two scenes.

In the scene where Slater and his colleagues are checking out the lorry park after receiving a call of a break in how do they not see del's van? It was parked almost opposite to the police car, so they would of done well not to see it.

Secondly, why does Rodney follow Denzil all the way to Hull? He isn't the stupid. Anyone else would of just flashed their lights until he pulled over.

Anyway I still love the episode but those two things bug me!

OFAH was so inconsistent across its lifetine. There was some great dialogue and skilled storylining, but also loads of ancient gags shoehorned in with plotlines and charactarisation skewed to support them when all the midnight oil had seemingly been burned.
    BIt of a curates egg IMHO.
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ugley_matt wrote: »
    "Robin Hood, Robin Hood, Riding through the glen"

Superb:D

The only OFAH episode I really dislike is the one where Del enters Rodney for a kids art contest which wins a holiday and we have to pretend Rodney is 13.

Bloody awful.
  • jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    Ajax, pal.
  • Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,621
    Forum Member

Minder went into a hiatus for a couple of years after series 6 which aired in Autumn 85, series 7[Dennis Waterman left Minder after series 7] wasn't aired until Winter 88/89. Apart from a couple of Christmas specials OFAH also went into hiatus after series 5 which was shown in 86, series 6 wasn't aired until 89.

I quite like To Hull And Back, has a different feel from most OFAH episodes as it was shot on Film & has no laughter track because of that.
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To Hull and Back is one of my favourites, bit odd there is a thread on how it could be better come on?
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Del "Holland"

Favorite gag from the episode:D:D:D
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It was on UK Gold on whatever its called yesterday
  • dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like To Hull and Back, OK it isnt up there with the likes of Heroes and Villians, Jolly Boys Outing or Dates but its still really funny and has Roy Slater in who is a great guest character. The worst xmas special for me was A Royal Flush, which had lots of problems with last minute rewrites etc and it defo showed, the only highlight of that episode was the stuff at the Opera and the return of June
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dazza89 wrote: »
    I like To Hull and Back, OK it isnt up there with the likes of Heroes and Villians, Jolly Boys Outing or Dates but its still really funny and has Roy Slater in who is a great guest character. The worst xmas special for me was A Royal Flush, which had lots of problems with last minute rewrites etc and it defo showed, the only highlight of that episode was the stuff at the Opera and the return of June

I agree, wasn't keen on A Royal Flush, however the worst for me by far was Miami Twice.