Acer or Toshiba

subversivesubversive Posts: 2,969
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi,

I hope you guys can help me decide between the following two laptops. I've opted to go for one without a dedicated graphics card, as this laptop will be used just for normal day to day stuff, nothing major like editing, etc. Maybe the odd crop and colour alterations... PLUS the prices have jumped up by £50 or more for laptops with dedicated graphics cards.

So I am seeing how much VALUE I can get for my money.

However I can't decide between Acer or Toshiba. I've had a toshiba, but that was 10 years ago and back then it was a solid machine. I have seen some recently, but they have all been all plasticy in quality.

Have Toshibas gone down in terms of quality?

First up

Toshiba Satellite C855-2ET - £399.99

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-Satellite-C855-2ET-15-6-inch-Notebook/dp/B00B18B284/ref=sr_1_5?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1366402047&sr=1-5

Second up

Acer Aspire E1-571 - £389.97

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-15-6-inch-Integrated-Graphics-Windows/dp/B00AYAZHUO/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1366402047&sr=1-3#productDetails

Thanks

Comments

• esperantoesperanto Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    Both very good choices!:)

The Tosh has a full numeric keypad, that would swing it for me.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't go for an Acer laptop. My dad had one and it snuffed it after only two years. I don't think they're all that good. Not sure about Toshiba laptops though.
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    You already asked about the Acer in your thread of the 4th March as well as the Lenovo Ideapad Z580 . Then in your thread of the 1st April you asked about the Samsung 350V5C and the Lenovo G580 and I advised buying the Samsung. You keep saying you have decided to choose one of two laptops but here we are again with a different Samsung.

It's OK asking people for their opinions but there's going to be people who have a machine from x manufacturer and then say it packed up after 2 years or whatever or I might say I have had my refurb Acer laptop for two years and I haven't had any problems with it. I might go further and say it's bloody fantastic. Before I got this Acer I had 2 other Acers and an HP and both the Acers developed a manufacturing software compatibility fault within 3 weeks and were returned. The HP was delivered with a hard drive missing and something else that I don't remember now.

What it comes down to is this. The laptop that someone doesn't like might have had a manufacturing defect, or the software on it isn't compatible, or the owner has messed it up, or another reason. The laptop that someone likes was well manufactured, or all the software works well, or it has a careful owner like me.

It's no good in my opinion comparing manufacturers. Say they make 100,000 laptops of a particular model. There's gonna be good ones, not so good ones and crap ones. There's gonna be good software installed and bad software installed. There's gonna be good owners and bad owners.

All you can do is decide what you want the laptop for...and you already know this. So now get a shortlist, compare the specs and read the pro reviews. Everything else is purely subjective. Just make a decision and then buy. Whatever you buy will have a 12 month guarantee if it's new or a good refurb, so no worries there.

The rest is down to you. Install the right software, configure it correctly, use it wisely, be careful on the net, do the housekeeping and maintenance...and you should be happy. Mess it up and you won't be so happy.

Sorry for the long post but I'm trying to help you decide, honest!
  • subversivesubversive Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    You already asked about the Acer in your thread of the 4th March as well as the Lenovo Ideapad Z580 . Then in your thread of the 1st April you asked about the Samsung 350V5C and the Lenovo G580 and I advised buying the Samsung. You keep saying you have decided to choose one of two laptops but here we are again with a different Samsung.

It's OK asking people for their opinions but there's going to be people who have a machine from x manufacturer and then say it packed up after 2 years or whatever or I might say I have had my refurb Acer laptop for two years and I haven't had any problems with it. I might go further and say it's bloody fantastic. Before I got this Acer I had 2 other Acers and an HP and both the Acers developed a manufacturing software compatibility fault within 3 weeks and were returned. The HP was delivered with a hard drive missing and something else that I don't remember now.

What it comes down to is this. The laptop that someone doesn't like might have had a manufacturing defect, or the software on it isn't compatible, or the owner has messed it up, or another reason. The laptop that someone likes was well manufactured, or all the software works well, or it has a careful owner like me.

It's no good in my opinion comparing manufacturers. Say they make 100,000 laptops of a particular model. There's gonna be good ones, not so good ones and crap ones. There's gonna be good software installed and bad software installed. There's gonna be good owners and bad owners.

All you can do is decide what you want the laptop for...and you already know this. So now get a shortlist, compare the specs and read the pro reviews. Everything else is purely subjective. Just make a decision and then buy. Whatever you buy will have a 12 month guarantee if it's new or a good refurb, so no worries there.

The rest is down to you. Install the right software, configure it correctly, use it wisely, be careful on the net, do the housekeeping and maintenance...and you should be happy. Mess it up and you won't be so happy.

Sorry for the long post but I'm trying to help you decide, honest![/QUOTE]

errr...okay. Thanks....:confused::o
  • DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't go for an Acer laptop. My dad had one and it snuffed it after only two years. I don't think they're all that good. Not sure about Toshiba laptops though.
    On the contrary, my Acer 5920G laptop is still going greatly, nearly 5 years on.

Personally, I'd go for the Acer. It's got a slightly less powerful processor (by 100MHz) but has 2GB more RAM. It's also 0.5KG lighter than the Toshiba. However the Toshiba has the better reviews.
  • finluxfinlux Posts: 3,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daedroth wrote: »
    On the contrary, my Acer 5920G laptop is still going greatly, nearly 5 years on.

Personally, I'd go for the Acer. It's got a slightly less powerful processor (by 100MHz) but has 2GB more RAM. It's also 0.5KG lighter than the Toshiba. However the Toshiba has the better reviews.

Agreed. I've had Acer products for years with NO problems. I always recommend them to family & friends, thankfully they have no problems either!

However, as previously mentioned, if anyone has had a problem with one make, it puts them off for life. You'll never get 100% perfection ;)