Only Fools and Horses on UK Gold during the Christmas period!

Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Over Christmas I noticed that OFAH seemed to be the only show Gold put on air, and while it's sometimes nice to watch this classic, I really do think they over did it, especially since they show it continually through the year anyway. It would have been nice to see more of a selection of Christmas Shows from the past. I also found that some of the OFAH episodes now look decidedly dated, especially 'Jolly Boys outing' it is a show that captured the mood of the era (80s/90s) and the social aspirations etc but I hope it NEVER comes back it is not 1989 anymore.

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Smaller channel go streamlined during the holidays so that the work experience dude can man the fort by himself.

Easier to just repeat one show over and over.
  • dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    Thank god I smashed my sky viewing card so I wasent forced to watch this trash!
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe they're starting another run of episodes from Series 1, Episode 1 on Thursday, which I'm glad about since I missed the run they started on Boxing Day! :D
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    GOLD posted really strong ratings over the Christmas period - and 8 of its 10 most watched programmes were episodes of Only Fools and Horses.

The reason why GOLD doesn't have a more diverse schedule is whenever they try it the viewing figures go down. And so we end up with the same few favourites in rotation all the while.

Blame the viewers, not the broadcaster.
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually a few of the episodes appeared to be different cuts from what they normally show as there were quite a few bits of extra dialogue or longer scenes than normal.
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In your view. OFAH is one of the classic comedies. Millions will disagree with your view that it's trash.

If you don't like it, don't watch it. The viewing figures for Gold show people still like watching it.
    Forum Member
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    In your view. OFAH is one of the classic comedies. Millions will disagree with your view that it's trash.

If you don't like it, don't watch it. The viewing figures for Gold show people still like watching it.

Some people dont get a choice in the matter. Why cant one of the actors get done for a sex crime so its banned from tv.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some people dont get a choice in the matter. Why cant one of the actors get done for a sex crime so its banned from tv.
    What, your forced to watch it by gunpoint? Totally stupid comment.

There's programmes that I don't like, but don't want them banned. If you don't like OFAH, don't watch it. Plenty of people do.
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What a stupid thing to say. If only you had the ability to change the channel..........oh wait.
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Pointless as you still had to ring them to cancel your contract.
  • owl61ukowl61uk Posts: 3,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    GOLD posted really strong ratings over the Christmas period - and 8 of its 10 most watched programmes were episodes of Only Fools and Horses.

The reason why GOLD doesn't have a more diverse schedule is whenever they try it the viewing figures go down. And so we end up with the same few favourites in rotation all the while.

Blame the viewers, not the broadcaster.

Totally agree. OFAH was a funny programme but it has been on so many times now, it has lost its magic. I reckon that it has been on GOLD everyday for about the past 8 years.

Infuriating that they keep showing OFAH as there are so many other comedies they could show.

Come on viewers stop watching and maybe they will show something else
  • Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member

A vile FM.
  • ringleaderlonringleaderlon Posts: 2,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    owl61uk wrote: »
    [/B]

Totally agree. OFAH was a funny programme but it has been on so many times now, it has lost its magic. I reckon that it has been on GOLD everyday for about the past 8 years.

Infuriating that they keep showing OFAH as there are so many other comedies they could show.

Come on viewers stop watching and maybe they will show something else
    As I have said in the Challenge threads, Challenge have stated on Facebook that they will only show Pointless, The Chase, Millionaire or Bullseye after 7pm as they are the only shows that get over the achieved figure of 70,000 viewers.

They openly admit they have to achieve that figure to make the advertising revenue and no doubt GOLD is the same, if people watched the other shows they try there would be variety but they want, Challenge gave Countdown a 7pm slot and some episodes failed to make 10,000 viewers so now Challenge just put on the same shows every evening and it's annoying as Challenge and GOLD could be so much better if people tuned in.
  • Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ShaunIOW wrote: »
    Actually a few of the episodes appeared to be different cuts from what they normally show as there were quite a few bits of extra dialogue or longer scenes than normal.

They'd definitely done 'something' as the end credits were different. I think they may have done something to make it better for watching in wide screen (maybe more 'close up' if that makes sense) I know the dialogue so well I noticed things in the background (behind the actors) I hadn't noticed before, so some sort of 'cleaning up and updating' must have taken place.
    Forum Member
    pete137 wrote: »
    Pointless as you still had to ring them to cancel your contract.

Not really. Dont have to watch it over xmas. Pity you cant choose the channels you want.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really. Dont have to watch it over xmas. Pity you cant choose the channels you want.
    Complete tosh. Have you never heard of a remote? Or watching tv on a smartphone or tablet?

Your wish that a cast member be accused of a sex crime was pretty disgusting and sums up your posts to a tee.
  • Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,621
    Forum Member

Gold show other programmes on a loop like Porridge, Last Of The Summer Wine, Blackadder, Vicar Of Dibley, but you don't whinge about them, yet as soon as OFAH is on you crawl out of the woodwork whinging, there are plenty other channels to watch.
  • AmusedmooseAmusedmoose Posts: 1,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Despite renaming the channel I thought Gold's christmas schedule was very limited. There was so much they could have put on but didn't, every time I turned over it seemed to be 'Blackadder's Christmas' Carol or 'Only Fools'. They normally put 'Bleak Old Shop Of Stuff' on and I think this was the first year they didn't. They could even have dug out 'Robbie The Reindeer'. Seeing as they are co-owned by the BBC there really isn't any excuse not to delve into the archives beyond' Only Fools'.
    Forum Member
    Gold show other programmes on a loop like Porridge, Last Of The Summer Wine, Blackadder, Vicar Of Dibley, but you don't whinge about them, yet as soon as OFAH is on you crawl out of the woodwork whinging, there are plenty other channels to watch.

Yes and what a suprise bloody on again tonight and tomorrow as well. Christ cant gold just give it a break FFS.

If you was forced to watch it you d bloody complain too.
  • Tele_addictTele_addict Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love only fools and I appreciated watching some of the episodes over xmas, but they really are in danger of overkill. There are some episodes that have been repeated so many times, I cant bare to watch them anymore. I don't want to feel like this about my favourite comedy. I think they need to stop showing them for a while. After all, theres so many old comedies they could show that never get a look in.
  • tinmantinman Posts: 3,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never get bored of watching TJBO
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

What a stupid thing to say!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes and what a suprise bloody on again tonight and tomorrow as well. Christ cant gold just give it a break FFS.

If you was forced to watch it you d bloody complain too.
    Your not forced to watch it. Give it a rest. Watch something else or go out.
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Your not forced to watch it. Give it a rest. Watch something else or go out.
    Isn't it obvious that this poster is joking around? Why is everybody taking his posts so seriously?
    Forum Member
    What a stupid thing to say!

Why? If you hated a certain actor who who was naughty naughty and they were the star you would never get their programme ever on tv again.