The Tennis Thread (Part 28)

Comments

• GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You know it will though. Hev is a genuine draw for British crowds so it makes sense that as many people can see her as possible.

Raonic matches are never appealing at the best of times. I fear that Kei could retire in his match, but at least it'll have rallies :p

Cilic deserves no respect whatsoever in my book. It was bad for tennis when he won a slam. Even if you disagree, he's in woeful form.

Not just slams. It defo happens at lower level tournaments as well...in North America, Europe, you name it.

I know, CGG, mentioned Slams in particular.
  • Jewels501Jewels501 Posts: 26,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nihonga wrote: »
    But she is Clare Balding, sports commentator extraordinaire. :p:o;-) Rugby, swimming, tennis, Chelsea Flower Show, Ascot, quiz shows - you name it, she knows and does everything!!:cool:

I often find myself thinking we don't see nearly enough of Clare Balding on tv.
    Hey Amelia. So glad you had a great day and share some sugar with Mirka. :D I'm off shortly. Half excited, half dreading the heat. :o

Have a great day anyonefortennis. Don't wilt in the heat and don't embarrass us with the posh folk!:)
    amelia_lee wrote: »
    Thanks, hope you have a great day today!

It is hot, but try to think cool!

Really glad you had a great time and that's a lovely story about Mirka.:)
  • Cherry-chocCherry-choc Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, I had a great day.

A little thing about the ball bounce.

I always like to get the used balls, I get some and give the dog one all the time.
    This year I got them home and got one out for the dog who was excited as I had just got back and the bounce was so high, much higher then previous years when I had gotten them. I don't know if it's a change in the ball or maybe not. But the bounce was HIGH.

They weren't worn at all as some other years, maybe I had the ones Petra had just played with, there was not a mark on them and none of them were even a bit fluffed up.
    BIB - :o

Should I call the RSPCA now or later? :p

I haven't heard about a change in the balls, but I suppose it is possible. My theory is that they've rolled the courts more than they used to in an effort to eliminate bad bounces. Unfortunately they've done too good a job, and it bounces too well.
    I know, CGG, mentioned Slams in particular.
    Fair dos.

On a side point, I'm glad that Wimbledon give more thought to their wildcards than the other slams and opt out of reciprocal agreements. At Wimbledon, you have a chance of a WC even if you're not from one of the slam nations.
  • amelia_leeamelia_lee Posts: 11,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BIB - :o

Should I call the RSPCA now or later? :p

I haven't heard about a change in the balls, but I suppose it is possible. My theory is that they've rolled the courts more than they used to in an effort to eliminate bad bounces. Unfortunately they've done too good a job, and it bounces too well.

:confused: Sorry I don't understand the first bit :blush:. It may be because I'm very tired though.
    ETA, got it, sorry I'm so tired my brain is now connecting!:blush: Cheeky!!

No I don't know if they have been changed, most likely just improved if anything, that will most likely be it though, the courts being done to prevent the bad bounce.
    I was just surprised by the bounce and the ease of the bounce when I just dropped it to the floor, they seemed really lively balls.
  • planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    Morning everyone!!!
    What a glorious day...

Amelia i'm so pleased you had a lovely day!!!

Anyonefortennis - Hope you have a wonderful day too don't forget all your duties ;-)

They showed some of the Cirque du Soleil Monfils (TM Cherry Choc) shots in the round up a while ago!

I really enjoyed yesterday's matches and the fact you can pick and choose with the online streaming is fab. Hope you all have a lovely day :cool:
  • big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is that beard supposed to be trendy?
  • Jewels501Jewels501 Posts: 26,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    planets wrote: »
    Morning everyone!!!
    What a glorious day...

Amelia i'm so pleased you had a lovely day!!!

Anyonefortennis - Hope you have a wonderful day too don't forget all your duties ;-)

They showed some of the Cirque du Soleil Monfils (TM Cherry Choc) shots in the round up a while ago!

I really enjoyed yesterday's matches and the fact you can pick and choose with the online streaming is fab. Hope you all have a lovely day :cool:

Bit tardy today planets. Thought you'd be here from the off. Pacing yourself are you?;-):D

Poor anyonefortennis has so many jobs to do, he won't be able to watch any tennis.
    Forum Member
    Jewels501 wrote: »
    Bit tardy today planets. Thought you'd be here from the off. Pacing yourself are you?;-):D

Poor anyonefortennis has so many jobs to do, he won't be able to watch any tennis.

morning jewels i thought i'd have a bit of sun in the garden it happens so rarely !!!

Well i'm sure if anyonefortennis gets in early he can get all his jobs done before play on centre starts ;-)
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lots of good exchanges in this Broady vs Goffin match. Of all the top players he could have drawn, Goffin is probably the best choice because he's not a power player but I would still have expected him to start outclassing Broady by now. Hasn't happened yet.
  • Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,275
    Forum Member
    I haven't read back (too tired!)

Bless you both! How sweet. I was fine thankfully and it wasn't me (for once, I've had enough of passing out in public places!) You are so sweet to think of me!

I had a great day, really wonderful. I was up a bit so shaded and to the side of the umpires chair and the view was wonderful, could see everything and especially the tactics and spins and depth of the ball best from that angle.
    As it was under the side there was actually air con pumping out so I was cool!

It started out badly, a bit comical, I took a cab as I was going alone incase I got dizzy in the underground, well we was stuck in so much traffic, crawling along that I would never have made it for tennis.
    So I had to get out and go on the train.

Once there though everything was great.
    Wow Petra was hitting so hard and clean, she was the best Petra today and although quick I'd always rather see her be so great!
    Roger played really well, backhand was good too and he just sort of glides on the court.
    Murray was hilarious watching with a British crowd, when he got broken the whole stand of chairs moved with people being annoyed! It was so interesting, people were wringing their hands, I was telling them to relax, it's what he does! I don't think he played very well really, ok, but he did what was needed, some great shots though, it was a great place to see deep and fast paced returns.
    Then I saw a set and a bit of Woz, you could tell the difference in quality though.

A funny thing happened though.
    After Roger's match I left the court as I hadn't eaten all day and joined the queue for strawberries.
    Me and a guy behind was saying how long the queue was and how typically English to queue.
    I noticed this woman had a really pretty set of bracelets, then realised I knew the bracelets as they said Charlene and Lenny. I thought oh someone's copied Mirka and gotten the bracelets (you know some fans) that Mirka has for her two sets of twins. Then I looked her up and realised it was Mirka, standing in the queue for strawberries. She was two places in front of me, the man she was with kept saying he could bring them up to her but she said she liked the sun. She had her hands on the sides (my word her rings are huge!).
    When she got there she ordered five lots and gave the man her card only to be told by the poor boy they only take cash so she scrambled to find some! Then I shared the sugar bowl with her and told her.
    It was hilarious seeing someone like her in this huge queue!

But yes, I had a wonderful day thank you! I'm VERY tired and I need to rest and recoup but I loved it, as usual it's a great event, really the people are second to none, so polite, all asking if you're having a great day, who you've seen, wonderful service.
    Plus if you go alone you get to bypass a few queues for the taxi's and go straight to the front to pop you in one.

Oh wow rubbing shoulders with Mirka! :o We are not worthy now. Glad you survived the day and had a great time. :)

anyonefortennis - hope you stay safe out there in this insanity today. I stupidly agreed to go football with some mates this evening, long before I knew this weather was due. Dreading it now. My weather app still thinks it's going to be 29c at kick-off. :(
    I enjoyed this, it's as it says in the title though, quite Nick Krygios language-wise

Haha that's good! :D
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed this, it's as it says in the title though, quite Nick Krygios language-wise

"The magical tennis unicorn he is" :D:D:D
  • CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    Just noticed marray and Nielsen are playing doubles together again. Early days but they are cruising in this morning's match too

What a story that would be if they went all the way

How well is Dickie G going about his business this week? hammering his compatriot De Schepper that could be a fascinating round 3 match with Dimitrov

Can Stosur make another Wimbledon 3rd round? I've always liked her would love her to go on a bit of a run here finally
  • smudesmude Posts: 17,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am watching Marray and Nielson and hope they are back for good. They gel well together and have played some great doubles.

Snap :)
    Forum Member
    Broady just needs to hang in there. This could all get away from him very quickly. Goffin is a terrible server so if he can just keep his nerve on his own serve he'll force break chances
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This game has lasted forever. If Broady is broken again, I can see Goffin running away with it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grigor running away with his match after a tough start too.
    Forum Member
    rumour Kei make not make it to court!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh shit, rumour that Kei may be pulling out. :(
    Forum Member
    Dreddy is playing a bit of doubles today aswell I see. No harm

I've often wondered why far more players don't. Bit of extra cash, it's not near as taxing as singles, and is ideal match practice

I guess the only downside is it can mess up your own scheduling with rain delays etc
  • amelia_leeamelia_lee Posts: 11,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kei has withdrawn
    Forum Member
    Kei must be very bad. Giraldo is hopeless on grass so he really must be unable to move

His body really is a disaster the poor lad, very hard to see someone so insanely injury prone being a consistent major winner
  • U.R.CorrectU.R.Correct Posts: 1,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just said on the radio that Kei has withdrawn and that Cilic's match will be switched to centre court to fill the schedule gap
    Forum Member
    Kei has withdrawn

oh nooooo :(
  • JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 27,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    Halep will drop out of the top 5 after Wimbledon and Bouchard the top 20.

Are you sure?
    Shes still #3 on live rankings?
    Forum Member
    We're going to have a complete outsider in the last 16 now- Giraldo, Kudla or Zverev

Cilic only has Isner now in his way of a quarter final
This discussion has been closed.