I work as a revenue protection officer on the railway. Ask me anything.

124»

Comments

• Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    What was wrong with "conductor"?

Too dangerous now so many lines have been electrified.
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gabbitas wrote: »
    You try to help people... :(

"Helping" would mean someone volunteering to do it for me (hint, hint) :p

:)
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do they really have a special basket under the royal train to prevent souvenir hunters collecting the Queen's poo off the tracks?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    Who put the ram in the ramalamadingdong?
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    Do you ever exercise discretion when people make honest mistakes?

For example, a foreign student with a ticket for train A who boarded train B going to the same place with 3 minutes difference in departure time.
  • Uncle_PhilUncle_Phil Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    Addisonian wrote: »
    How many people have you thrown off a train?

Only a couple, doesn't happen as often as you'd think.
    Forum Member
    Why do different companies have different rules. SWT and Great Western seem to allow people to buy tickets on the train if you talk to the Guard after getting on the train, but I've seen a TV program about GNER and you received a pently fair straight away. This seems inconsitant and confusing to passengers from other regions if travelling on to a GNER train for example.

That does sound like a stupid policy. Possibly something to do with the distance between stops and there not really being any excuse to be on the train without a ticket.
    Forum Member
    KJ44 wrote: »
    Do you ever exercise discretion when people make honest mistakes?

For example, a foreign student with a ticket for train A who boarded train B going to the same place with 3 minutes difference in departure time.

Yes of course. Revenue officers will always ask the same 2 questions to people to establish what their next move will be.

- "Where have you travelled from"
    - "Any reason why you didn't buy a ticket before you boarded the train?"

If they've travelled from a station with no ticket buying facilities then it's not a penalty fare. If the reason they don't have a ticket is a valid one (disabled, pregnant, elderly etc..) then it's not a penalty fare. If their answer is "the train was there so I got on and sat down" then it's definitely a penalty fare.

We don't issue penalties to foreigners full stop.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Uncle_Phil wrote: »

So we could just all say we live abroad, especially if we know another language or haven't lived in the UK long.

The law should be enforced equally, and not discriminate.
  • Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    woodrow wrote: »
    I wish they would teach them how to keep to a timetable. Not many know how to do that.:(
    :D:D
  • jackthomjackthom Posts: 6,621
    Forum Member
    idlewilde wrote: »
    What is my grandmother's name?

Are you locked out of your online bank account? :)
  • EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    Do they really have a special basket under the royal train to prevent souvenir hunters collecting the Queen's poo off the tracks?

There's no such thing as the royal train (when they go to Sandringham, they use a timetabled service from King's Cross to King's Lynn).
  • MudboxMudbox Posts: 10,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm pretty sure that poo, and other sewage doesn't go on the track any more, if it ever did*....

*edit: and I can believe it did.....not very nice at crossings or for track workers.
  • Skyler_WrightSkyler_Wright Posts: 1,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it okay to pay by contact less card if I forget to touch my oyster card before I get on the train or bus when ticket inspectors ask?
  • Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    EStaffs90 wrote: »
    There's no such thing as the royal train (when they go to Sandringham, they use a timetabled service from King's Cross to King's Lynn).
    They just hog all of the First Class compartment in one particular carriage. With a beefy Security guy at the door. :cool:
  • StarryNight1983StarryNight1983 Posts: 4,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What train company do you work for?
  • Mark1974Mark1974 Posts: 4,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to ask the "train manager" of the 21:03 Birmingham New Street-Leeds train why he felt the need to not show his face last night.

It gets my goat when that happens. They're paid pretty well for what they do, and so many don't do their full job. The train wasn't remotely rowdy, in fact it was half full of tired people who'd been out for the day.

I'd also like to know why a day return from Chesterfield to Burton on Trent on National Rail's website shows £12.30, as a Derbyshire Wayfarer ticket, but because I was going to buy a ticket in Wakefield, it was £25.**, because they don't sell Derbyshire Wayfarers. Wakefield to Chesterfield is roughly the same distance as Chesterfield to Burton, and Wakefield to Chesterfield is £11.90. Even a normal off peak day return from Chesterfield to Burton should be similarly priced, not well over double.

Anyway, by splitting my tickets; Wakefield -Chesterfield, Chesterfield-Derby, Derby-Birmingham, I saved £17 to travel along the SAME LINE as I would have done purchasing a Wakefield-Birmingham ticket.

UK rail fare policies are illogical.
  • TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    Uncle_Phil wrote: »

What about women in burkas?!

P S Where can I get a fake Rumanian passport to avoid all fares when I travel.?
  • Cornish_PiskieCornish_Piskie Posts: 7,489
    Forum Member
    Question for OP.

Could you please have a word with the cabin stewards on the Night Riviera sleeper train from Penzance to Paddington and ask him to put more milk in the jug with breakfast. Wifey likes her morning tea milky and the last time we did that trip it wasn't filled all the way.

Otherwise it's a jolly good service.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How High is a Chinese man.
    This used to be true but after the nasty accident where the surgeon went to wok and gave him the chop, he is So Lo.