Options

gender identification. with children

Flamethrower100Flamethrower100 Posts: 14,106
Forum Member
✭✭
simple example

would you subconsciously give a blue juice cup to male child, and a pink one to a girl child.

I keep finding myself doing that. And thinking why? afterwards.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    simple example

would you subconsciously give a blue juice cup to male child, and a pink one to a girl child.

I keep finding myself doing that. And thinking why? afterwards.

Two words: Social Conditioning
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the gender bias is much, much stronger towards boys than towards girls. If people at the playgroup see that their daughter's favourite toy is the little carpenter's set, they may be faintly amused. If they see that their son just wants to style the hair on the big doll they start to look furtively round to see if anyone else has noticed this aberration. There is no equivalent for the fond "She's such a little tomboy".
  • Options
    mildredhubblemildredhubble Posts: 6,447
    Forum Member
    My four year old boy has a Tinkerbell cup ... he loves her. He also had a Rory the Racing Car one. We've just given him what he liked.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I HATE pink for girls, blue for boys. It's pathetic and outdated.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was always a militant leftist feminist type who ignored the gender distinctions.

Trouble is - my kids didn't.

They wanted Action Man, not Barbie for xmas (boys). My youngest child (8) is virulently sexist - but the older ones are very PC and feminist themselves. Nature not nurture, I guess.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually, blue was originally the colour for girls and pink was for boys.

Pink and red are blood colours, indicating a warrior. Blue is softer and gentler.

No idea when or why it swapped.
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So, would you feel comfortable dressing your baby boy (if you had one) in a pink babygro then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the gender bias is much, much stronger towards boys than towards girls. If people at the playgroup see that their daughter's favourite toy is the little carpenter's set, they may be faintly amused. If they see that their son just wants to style the hair on the big doll they start to look furtively round to see if anyone else has noticed this aberration. There is no equivalent for the fond "She's such a little tomboy".

I know. someone once said to me, "geuss who so and so's got their little boy for christmas. it's only a doll. I think he is going to be a little poof when he's older.. and he pretends to breast feed it and all.."
    I was a bit shocked by that although all I said was, maybe it's because he is brought up without a dad. I didn't really think that, but I just really didn't want to say that I thought she was being really judgemental on a little kid.

I think it's just that they want to protect their boys from being mocked.

little boys are called gay if they are interested in dolls or anything even remotely concidered female, even by adults.
  • Options
    Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Two words: Social Conditioning

Two more words: biological programming

It's a scientific fact that more women choose reddish colours and boys choose greenish colours.

They tested it on rats and chinese people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

it is. but I found myself doing it. And lately I have been making an effort to just hand a pink cup to the boys. as why should they care? most of them are only 2 years old.

And then the other day. A four year old girl laughed at a boy for wearing tights in the cold weather. :eek:
    she's already got her gender stereotypes going on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alt-F4 wrote: »
    Two more words: biological programming

It's a scientific fact that more women choose reddish colours and boys choose greenish colours.

They tested it on rats and chinese people.

it doesn't sound very scientificaly sound to me. :D this study sounds pretty dodgy. :D
  • Options
    Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it doesn't sound very scientificaly sound to me. :D this study sounds pretty dodgy. :D

I am really not a girly girl. I have never encouraged my daughter to like pink, sparkly, princesses, lilac, silver, glitter,tutu's, frothy nonsense or any similar item

Yet she does.

It's more than social conditioning, it appears almost inherent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am really not a girly girl. I have never encouraged my daughter to like pink, sparkly, princesses, lilac, silver, glitter,tutu's, frothy nonsense or any similar item

Yet she does.

It's more than social conditioning, it appears almost inherent.

you are not the only influence in your daughter's life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you are not the only influence in your daughter's life.

That sounded a bit creepy
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

why? :confused:
  • Options
    Nik01Nik01 Posts: 9,947
    Forum Member
    In all the nurseries i've worked in its the boys that fight over the pink cups and plates. Everytime the dolls are put out its the boys that go to them first, when the dressing up is put out its all the boys running around in the dresses lol. They play with the "boys" stuff too but in my experience there is nothing more "girly" than a boy lol

I think its natural to want to give blue for a boy and pink for a girl, but as they get older just give them what they want
  • Options
    Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Indeed

I am however the major influence and the girly stuff started at about 2. So I'd say it's inherent as a 2 year old is still all about the id.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why? :confused:

Dunno It just did, like something out of a horror film.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dunno It just did, like something out of a horror film.

you're going to regret the day you ever came to dragonwick.
  • Options
    mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This has reminded me of years ago i was in Tammy girl with my grandaughter who was about 6 and her older brother who was about 8, she was happily looking around all the clothes but he was mesmarised by a pair of flat glittery little girl shoes, he couldn't resist them and in the end i had to sort out a pair in his size so he could try them on!......:D

He is 16 now and a complete matcho boy so his love for glittery shoes has never affected him!.....:D
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    When I was a kid I was more interested in toy cars and Lego than dolls or dressing up and I had a whole collection of toy cars and everything. I loved it and nobody ever criticised me. Later I became more interested in computer games. I also remember watching Thomas The Tank Engine and I had all the toys based on the show and even a dark green jumper with Thomas on it. I'm female btw.
  • Options
    JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a boy of four.

No social conditioning required, he has been all boy since minute one.

It's quite a thing to behold, if you haven't got kids. It's amazing how a few chemicals one way or another can give a young child a penchant for smashing things and shouting.
  • Options
    TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't remember girls being as obsessed with pink when I was a kid (I'm 25). When me and my friends were maybe 5 or something pink might have been the most popular favourite colour amongst girls, but from, say, 6 to 11 or something, purple and various other colours were more popular. And whatever someone's favourite colour was, it didn't mean they wanted to wear it all the time, or wanted all their stuff to be that colour. But now it seems that so many girls are riduculously obsessed with pink, until their teens or adulthood even.

I suspect toy companies, etc, have realised that they can sell more stuff by trying to get girls more obsessed with pink. There are quite a lot of unisex toys (yes, in theory pretty much everything should be unisex, but still) - things like playhouses, etc. Previously, a family might buy a mini house thing for their son in bright red, blue and yellow plastic, then 2 years later when the son was too old the younger sister would play with it. But now the younger sis can't possibly play with it, because spoilt little kids need a bright pink mini house thing if they are a girl. So the toy companies sell double the plastic tat to families with opposite sex kids.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was a kid I was more interested in toy cars and Lego than dolls or dressing up and I had a whole collection of toy cars and everything. I loved it and nobody ever criticised me. Later I became more interested in computer games. I also remember watching Thomas The Tank Engine and I had all the toys based on the show and even a dark green jumper with Thomas on it. I'm female btw.

I had guessed. :D

I was interested in all things as a kid. liked lego, dolls houses, barbies. cars. climbing trees. I liked dresses and make up too. but I was more interested in just having fun. war games. and man hunt. and bellfast, aka knock door run.
    growing up... girls, were encouraged to join in with games that would be concidered boy's games. we all went rollerblading together, and had bases.
    but us girls would pretend to be members of the spice girls and such. we had a different world going as well. when we were not with the boys. I was able to fit in with both.

boys seem to have a lot more pressure on them to be a certain way as chlildren.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JonDoe wrote: »
    I have a boy of four.

No social conditioning required, he has been all boy since minute one.

It's quite a thing to behold, if you haven't got kids. It's amazing how a few chemicals one way or another can give a young child a penchant for smashing things and shouting.

from what I have seen in children that I look after. and this is almost everyday. mostly 2 year olds

I don't see much difference between very young girls and boys in the way they act. the girls are a bit more interested in what you might call mother hen type things, like helping to clean, and playing with dolls as if they were babies. but boys are too. just not so much. I wonder, perhaps becuase they are not encouraged in that activity as much as girls.
    there are a few girls who are more agressive than the boys. to be honest in their conduct.