TV/PC monitor combo

OK please excuse the numpty questions. My old CRT TV is ready for CRT heaven and the desktop isn't far behind it :(.
I also have a shortage of space.
So was wondering about combining the two - plus I need the TV function to hook up to my Sky (Freesat) box.
So where do I start? Do I get a new flatscreen TV and start from there or could I just hook up my existing set up (maybe with a bigger monitor) to receive tv? Maybe investing in a new tower - the PC shop told me my existing tower would do the job but also they sell neat little towers just for this purpose.
All suggestions welcome!

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would be tempted to buy a TV. It is more likely to have sufficient quantity of the correct type of sockets to plug up your kit. Especially if the Sky box is SCART only.

If you go for a new PC get one with HDMI out and that would hook up neatly to a TV.

Plus with a TV you get the option of plugging an aerial in for Freeview. And some can even plug into a satellite dish as well for Freesat. Giving you plenty of options.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,329
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    I would be tempted to buy a TV. It is more likely to have sufficient quantity of the correct type of sockets to plug up your kit. Especially if the Sky box is SCART only.

If you go for a new PC get one with HDMI out and that would hook up neatly to a TV.

But VGA is pretty universal on TV's as well, so it's not essential - just make sure any TV has both VGA and HDMI (most do).

But I agree - buy a TV, and use it as a monitor.
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheers folks.
    As for Freeview can't get anything through an aerial here. It has to be satellite - hence the Sky Freesat. The (equally ancient) box connects to the TV with a scart cable.