Options

NTL/Telewest receiver box compatability.

DomestiquesDomestiques Posts: 1,720
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hello, Could someone possibly advise.

I was wondering if I purchased a telewest receiver would it work with a NTL cable connection?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Chris123Chris123 Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't legally buy a NTL or Telewest box, you can only borrow them from your provider while you pay for the service.

It's not like a Sky box in that you can just get the free channels.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also you should not connect anything to a cable wall box , unless you have permision from that cable provider .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do appreciate the replies, thank you, however has anyone connected a telewest box to an ntl cable supply and had it work, or vice versa.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well i assume that some one has done .. but you'll find it hard to have some one admit that on here. because digispy want a registed e-mail account . and admiting something illegal on here can be trced back to you . and i assume telewest ntl and many others keep and eye on here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didnt realise that asking if something could be done implied illegal activity. I have the answer now anyway, thank you.
  • Options
    Ernie_CErnie_C Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didnt realise that asking if something could be done implied illegal activity.
    It does in this case because the only reason to want to know the answer is to actually do it which is illegal!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It might be someone who wants to take their (legitimately rented) cable box with them on holiday to another cable area. Hardly illegal.

Not as if they're asking "Can anyone tell me the best type of hooky box to buy on eBay", is it?
  • Options
    Ernie_CErnie_C Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bignoise wrote:
    It might be someone who wants to take their (legitimately rented) cable box with them on holiday to another cable area. Hardly illegal.

Not as if they're asking "Can anyone tell me the best type of hooky box to buy on eBay", is it?
    Read the original post - he's talking about purchasing a box. These boxes are only available for rent from the cable companies.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reminds me of the cable system in Milton Keynes some years ago, they used to let you buy the box, and if you did it saved the £6 a month rental on your bill.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Possibly badly constructed question, my question should read, my father has a telewest box, I have an ntl account in the bedroom, the ntl box is ok but not what I prefered when I lived elsewhere and had an account with telewest, so I was wondering if I could have the telewest box my father was offering and change it for my ntl box. There life story over, long winded and superfluous info. As I said I have the answer now. Thank you bignoise for not writing me off as a criminal, I think I will stick to the reality TV section in the future.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,713
    Forum Member
    The point still remains. You're father cannot legally give you his box as it is only on-loan to him from TW; and the same goes for your box.

Further, each box is "married" to it's own card and I don't think that a TW will work on NTLs system anyway.

I could be wrong about that last bit :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    Possibly badly constructed question, my question should read, my father has a telewest box, I have an ntl account in the bedroom, the ntl box is ok but not what I prefered when I lived elsewhere and had an account with telewest, so I was wondering if I could have the telewest box my father was offering and change it for my ntl box. There life story over, long winded and superfluous info. As I said I have the answer now. Thank you bignoise for not writing me off as a criminal, I think I will stick to the reality TV section in the future.

How can your father have Telewest in the FrontRoom and You have Ntl in Bedroom?, NTL and Telewest cover totally different arias????
    They don't coexist in the same areas????
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hello, Could someone possibly advise.

I was wondering if I purchased a telewest receiver would it work with a NTL cable connection?

Thanks in advance.

To answer your question, no it won't work. Telewest and NTL may use similar equipment but the software running that is actually quite different right now. Add to that the fact that the box is attached to a card and probably the box in the street too then the odds are stacked against you being able to do it legally.

Having said all that the systems will be merged within a year and the boxes will then be interchangable at least via official channels.

I wouldn't try it now though if a Telewest box is attached to and NTL connection and it tries to receive an update it might damage the firmware making the box inoperable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To the original poster, No it won't work so don't bother, nevermind all this illegal talk ok. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bignoise wrote:

in the united states of america its Legal to own a gun ,, you cannot take that gun on holiday with you..

here its legal to drink ale you cannot drink that ale in Bharain.

The ability to rent something in one place doesnt give you the right to take it anywhere else.