JSA Enquiry

macca@90macca@90 Posts: 1,769
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi All

I got made redundant at the end of last year. I am looking for another job but nothing so far.

I am due to go on holiday in June paid for by my OH before I was made redundant.

If God forbid I am still in this position what do I tell them? I assume I won't be able to claim if I am on holiday or are you allowed a holiday? :confused:

Comments

• Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Dept for Work and Pensions may be A-holes, but I don't think they're quite that bad. There shouldn't be any problems claiming whilst you are on holiday.
  • maxsimaxsi Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are staying in the UK then its ok.... If you go overseas you have to sign off and then sign on again when you come back but its easy enough
  • 'Oaks Addict'Oaks Addict Posts: 1,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately you do have to tell the job centre. It's called job seekers allowance and whille you're away you can't actively be looking for work.

BTW, I'm not getting at you, I was on JSA last year after being made redundant and I'd already booked a holiday. I didn't tell them as I was only away a week and it feel on the week where I didn't have to sign on. While away I was still checking my e-mails everyday and going on job search sites etc. My mum was looking through the papers and applying for me.

The annoying thing is that the Job Centre won't see it like that.

Good luck with the search, you'll will get something I promise.
  • chris2k2chris2k2 Posts: 9,886
    Forum Member
    My neighbour next door goes to Wales for 4 weeks every year, but drives home for the day to sign on - I know its wrong but I guess if your in England and it doesn't overlap with the signing on day then there is no need to tell them.
  • MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are supposed to sign off whilst out the country. A few years ago a mate signed on and we went on holiday, just for a week - she got away with it. But they are cracking down on this now, I don't know if they check passport information, but in theory they could if they suspect you are away.
  • macca@90macca@90 Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone I am going abroad so suppose I will need to tell them :cry:

Annoying this is I have paid in for 25 years and never claimed a thing :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chris2k2 wrote: »
    My neighbour next door goes to Wales for 4 weeks every year, but drives home for the day to sign on - I know its wrong but I guess if your in England and it doesn't overlap with the signing on day then there is no need to tell them.

England and Wales are both within the UK and you can travel between them!! Anyone can go away for a holiday within the UK (which includes Scotland and Northern Ireland too!) and continue to claim JSA!!
    Forum Member
    maxsi wrote: »
    England and Wales are both within the UK and you can travel between them!! Anyone can go away for a holiday within the UK (which includes Scotland and Northern Ireland too!) and continue to claim JSA!!

Yes but like someone said above, if you are going on holiday even if its in Wales, Blackpool, Lakes etc then you are really not looking for a job - so shouldn't be claiming for that time and need to sign off in theory. Obviously, like I said above, there are people who don't do this.
  • Dante AmecheDante Ameche Posts: 20,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    macca@90 wrote: »

Why is it annoying?
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes but like someone said above, if you are going on holiday even if its in Wales, Blackpool, Lakes etc then you are really not looking for a job - so shouldn't be claiming for that time and need to sign off in theory. Obviously, like I said above, there are people who don't do this.

Well they could be looking for work.

Either they could be looking for work in the area they are in - or they could still be applying online or emailing CV's etc.

I think that people should be cut a tiny little bit of slack - after all, JSA is a bloody pittance as it is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can just as easily look for work in Wales or the Lakes as I do at home.... I have a laptop and I can look at the same websites wherever I am!
    Forum Member
    Yes, totally agree there but the JobCentre wont'/don't see it that way.

It is a long debate, so no point to keep arguing over it.
  • Maybe Ga GAMaybe Ga GA Posts: 86
    Forum Member

And they do their best to keep it that way!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    Just to clarfiy - In your case macca@90, if you are going abroad then you will need to sign off for that duration.

However if you are going on holiday in the UK you can go away for no more than 2weeks and still continue to claim.

You need to inform Jobcentre Plus before you go away and complete a form, you will be considered as actively seeking employment, however you will also need to be available for work. This means if you got offered a job to start straight away you would need to return from your holiday.

So the Jobcentre is not as miserable as people are making out, there is no need to lie to them.

Also as others have said, with the internet these days it is a lot easier to still be looking for work even if you are not at home.

macca@90 I hope you can still enjoy your holiday, hopefully your OH can help you out financially, since he paid for the holiday and I assume would not want to see money go down the drain if you can't go.

June is still a few months away, hopefully by that time you will have found suitable employment and you wont need to worry. :)
  • kat's mumkat's mum Posts: 455
    Forum Member

I know the feeling!! I had my own business so paid loads of tax and n.i but the job centre still treat you like shit! Unfortunately tell them, you won't be able to claim while you are a way but it shouldn't be a problem when you are back to continue claiming!
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was going to ask about this as well. My holiday was planned last year before i unfortunately was made redundant. I'll be taking my laptop with me so we can keep in contact with family back here and still looking for work when we aren't sight seeing (via t'internet)

The only difference is that we are flying out on the 1st April and returning on the 18th April and Easter falls during this period so i wonder what the situation will be?

I really and truly hate being unemployed.