the rare 60's classics thread

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When does your Radio 3 series start, Vab? :)
  • VabosityVabosity Posts: 2,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RadioRob wrote: »
    When does your Radio 3 series start, Vab? :)

Sorry, Radio 3 plays Classical Music, don't really understand your question.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad to say Radio Three broadcasts a wide range of music types, including classical of course. A trawl just now produced these programme summaries:

Late Junction: Max Reinhardt presents a breath of sea air from Captain Beefheart and the Portico Quartet.

Jazz Library: Alyn Shipton selects the best recordings of influential tenor saxophonist Dexter Gordon.

World Routes: the songs of the Hani and Yi people in Yunnan Province. Living high up in the mountains near the borders with Vietnam, Laos and Burma, they make instruments from grass to accompany songs that were born in the world's most spectacular paddy fields.

I suppose one could say they take music seriously. I could see them running a series on sixties or seventies popular music that draws on the impressive lists you've produced here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RadioRob wrote: »
    Glad to say Radio Three broadcasts a wide range of music types, including classical of course. A trawl just now produced these programme summaries:

Late Junction: Max Reinhardt presents a breath of sea air from Captain Beefheart and the Portico Quartet.

Jazz Library: Alyn Shipton selects the best recordings of influential tenor saxophonist Dexter Gordon.

World Routes: the songs of the Hani and Yi people in Yunnan Province. Living high up in the mountains near the borders with Vietnam, Laos and Burma, they make instruments from grass to accompany songs that were born in the world's most spectacular paddy fields.

I suppose one could say they take music seriously. I could see them running a series on sixties or seventies popular music that draws on the impressive lists you've produced here.

Sorry, I don't listen to Radio 3 and was unaware that it is now so much more than just Classical Musical, but thanks for your complimentary remarks anyway.

I am a bit geeky about sixties music (certainly more than I am about seventies music, which I like a great deal, but more so the mainstream than the obscure stuff), and I thoroughly research a lot of the tracks before making my posts (specifically the year they were recorded or released, as well as their chart position or lack of chart position to ensure they are truly minor hits or non-hits). However, if you look at the posts of some of the other regular contributors, you'll find that those guys are as knowledgeable as me (or perhaps even more so).
  • CapablancaCapablanca Posts: 5,130
    Forum Member
    No theme...just records I like::)

Timi Yuro - What's A Matter Baby
    Small Faces did a decent cover of this track as the flip of 'What'cha Gonna Do About It'.
    Small Faces - What's A Matter Baby

Here's a great Randy Newman song from the first Walker Brothers LP - Scott's best vocal?
    Walker Brothers - I Don't Want To Hear It Anymore

Here's a beautiful song from talented tunesmith P.F.Sloan:
    P.F. Sloan - From A Distance

Staying with Folk Rock - this song attracted a few covers, this my favourite. Fantastic backing vocals.
    The Daily Flash - The French Girl
  • Radio RuderhamRadio Ruderham Posts: 13,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Red Balloon by the Dave Clark Five, it reached #7 in 1968.

A cover of this song Callow La Vita by RAYMOND FROGGATT also in 1968

Also this Version Sung in French by Marie Laforêt
  • Barney06Barney06 Posts: 123,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    From 1968 ex Supreme Florence Ballard with a version of Goin Out of My Head. Just my opinion but I think she had just as good a voice as Diana Ross, if not better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w522mYZuBxM
  • MikeBrMikeBr Posts: 7,889
    Forum Member
    Gene Clark with the Godsin Brothers, Echoes (1967), wonderful song about life in LA and the ego's in the Byrds:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EofnxCTy8Ms

Scott Walker, Boy Child (1969), stand out track from his superb Scott 4 album:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14PSE0FJoUo

Association, criminally overlooked as mentioned earlier, Everything That Touches You (1968), great ending:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfL_48K2ZFY

Del Shannon, I Think I Love You (1968), from the heavily orchestrated pysch influenced album The Further Avdentures of Charlie Westover:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2pnq51VjQ0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Barney06 wrote: »
    From 1968 ex Supreme Florence Ballard with a version of Goin Out of My Head. Just my opinion but I think she had just as good a voice as Diana Ross, if not better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w522mYZuBxM

The Supremes were her group anyway
    Diana came later and it was Berry's idea that Diana take the lead.
    Then the rumours about an affair with Diana and a child that was his not denied by her and poor Flo was kinda side lined.
    She died in poverty a few years after leaving the supremes.:(
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then the rumours about an affair with Diana and a child that was his not denied by her and poor Flo was kinda side lined.

.... for me, dianas antics have spoilt the supremes music.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    .... for me, dianas antics have spoilt the supremes music.

Floy Joy with Mary Wilson on lead Brilliant!!

But it's 1973 so Ho Hum:(

Could talk all day about Motown
    But it's not a Motown thread so
    Back to the Topic
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ever since I heard her 1955 classic “Roll With Me Henry” in the film “Back To The Future” I’ve been a big fan of Etta James. This lady has an incredible voice and recorded some brilliant tracks, yet she had absolutely no UK chart success whatsoever during the sixties, which I would suggest makes her an ideal candidate for this thread. However, here we are on Page 19 and she hasn’t been featured once!

Time to remedy that situation, here are three very different tracks from the amazing Etta James:-

Etta James (with Harvey Fuqua) - Spoonful (1960)
    Fantastic version of a great Willie Dixon song, and at 2’50” just about the right duration.
    Cream covered this song on their first album, and much as I like that band, a six and half minutes version is just too long!

Etta James - At Last (1961)
    Eat your heart out Beyonce, this is how it should be sung!

Etta James - Tell Mama (1967)
    We’ve had a Blues song and a classy ballad, how about some Soul?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vabosity wrote: »
    Ever since I heard her 1955 classic “Roll With Me Henry” in the film “Back To The Future” I’ve been a big fan of Etta James. This lady has an incredible voice and recorded some brilliant tracks, yet she had absolutely no UK chart success whatsoever during the sixties, which I would suggest makes her an ideal candidate for this thread. However, here we are on Page 19 and she hasn’t been featured once!

Time to remedy that situation, here are three very different tracks from the amazing Etta James:-

Etta James (with Harvey Fuqua) - Spoonful (1960)
    Fantastic version of a great Willie Dixon song, and at 2’50” just about the right duration.
    Cream covered this song on their first album, and much as I like that band, a six and half minutes version is just too long!

Etta James - At Last (1961)
    Eat your heart out Beyonce, this is how it should be sung!

Etta James - Tell Mama (1967)
    We’ve had a Blues song and a classy ballad, how about some Soul?

We have a saying here in Scotland which is hard to convey in the written word but here goes

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaa Beauteyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Etta James First Class
    Interesting Richard thingy on Radio 2 played this song to day on the Breakfast show.
    He is making a far better, job I think, than Mr Evans.
    Madeley for breakfast, have him over in your house.;)
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Floy Joy with Mary Wilson on lead Brilliant!!

But it's 1973 so Ho Hum:(

Could talk all day about Motown
    But it's not a Motown thread so
    Back to the Topic

didnt like 'floy joy'... sorry!
  • Barney06Barney06 Posts: 123,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

And then sacked !! :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Barney06 wrote: »
    And then sacked !! :(

Ermm. Yes. Unfortunatley.:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vabosity wrote: »
    Two or three of the regular contributors are exceedingly knowledgeable about the French music scene of the sixties. I'm certainly not (I'd never heard of Jacques Dutronc before this thread began), but I have submitted quite a few tracks by Françoise Hardy, as I find her voice, her songs and her looks extremely pleasant.

Here's another French song, or to be more precise, three very different versions of the same French song:-

Vicky - L'Amour Est Bleu (1967)
    The tiny nations of Monaco and Luxembourg used to participate in the early days of the Eurovision Song Contest, which effectively gave France a backdoor way of entering three songs! This fine French song (composed by André Popp and Pierre Cour) was Luxembourg’s entry to the 1967 contest and was sung by the Greek singer Vicky Leandros. It came fourth (the winner that year was the UK entry “Puppet On A String” sung, of course, by Sandie Shaw). Five years later, Vicky Leandros, again representing Luxembourg, won the 1972 Eurovision Song Contest with a song nowhere near as good as this one.

Paul Mauriat - L'Amour Est Bleu (1968)
    This gorgeous orchestral version was a surprise chart-topping single in the USA, as well as being a minor hit in the UK (it had to be re-titled “Love Is Blue” for the monolingual Yanks and Brits).

Jeff Beck - Love Is Blue (1968)
    What’s this, one of the greatest rock guitarists of all time covering a Eurovision song? The sixties, eh?!!!!

Once again three different versions of the same song. Not a French song this time, but an American one, "Do You Wanna Dance", originally a 1958 US hit for Bobby Freeman.

Cliff Richard - Do You Wanna Dance? (1962)
    The “B” side of his Top Three hit single “I’m Looking Out The Window”. The last thing I’d call myself is a Cliff Richard fan, but I think that he and the Shadows did a pretty good job with this song.

The Beach Boys - Do You Wanna Dance? (1965)
    As imho every track the Beach Boys recorded from 1963 to 1966 is beyond perfection, it goes without saying that this is my favourite version of the song.

The Mamas and the Papas - Do You Wanna Dance? (1966)
    Of the three covers I’ve submitted this is by far the most radically different from Bobby Freeman’s original.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to break thread rules big time with this post, but as it would have been John Lennon's 70th birthday today, I hope the OP won't take exception to me doing so.

Here are my five favourite Beatles tracks that prominently (though not in all cases solely) feature John on vocals:-

1. I Am The Walrus (1967)

2. If I Fell (1964)

3. Tomorrow Never Knows (1966)

4. This Boy (1963)

5. Twist and Shout (1963)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Denise & Company - Boy What'll You Do Then (1966)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJEGxuX688E

The Nightcrawlers - Little Black Egg (1966)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJH7TOdpJFI

The Del-Vetts - Last Time Around (1966)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSluwC6p_J4
  • CapablancaCapablanca Posts: 5,130
    Forum Member
    In honour of John Lennon's 70th...here are some pretty decent covers of his songs:

Three Good Reasons - Nowhere Man - 1966

The Silkie - You've Got to Hide Your Love Away - 1966
    This was produced by Paul and John is rumoured to be involved - great version.

Joe Cocker - I'll Cry Instead - 1964
    I love this - typically beaty Decca production with Jimmy Page on guitar.

The Naturals - I Should Have Known Better - 1964
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How could you forget A day in the life
    First/Main Vocal by John Lennon
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another great Beatles song ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Liverpool Five - Too Far Out (1965 - I think)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd4Ycaojals&feature=related
  • Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Not really a 60s item. but here's something I came across a few weeks ago, recorded in 2005 it was "inspired" by a song from 1966.

See what you think, I understand it was used to advertise a soft drink in Germany and sold quite well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Hk1FY606Q4&ob=av2n

The Flames - "Everytime".

I wonder who received the songwriting royalties?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Engelbert Humperdinck - Les Bicyclettes De Belsize

Ike and Tina Turner Make 'em Wait