Options

Organic Eggs

andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
Forum Member
These taste so much better. Organic milk too.

Does anyone agree?

Comments

• Options
    RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely re milk, but I'm not a big egg fan so can't really say. Mature cheddar is a goodie too though.
  • Options
    Kevin1960Kevin1960 Posts: 5,611
    Forum Member

Does anyone agree?

Do you buy them for the taste or for ethical reasons? If the latter, then you should be aware that Haagen Dazs ice cream contains "battery" eggs, unlike Ben & Jerrys which contains (non-organic) free-range eggs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I buy them because non organic dairy is pumped full of nasty stuff - growth hormones. And also there are pesticides in the feed. I know it is pasteurized but scientists still find traces of the nasty stuff.
    Organic milk is contains more good nutrients too. I think it is one good fatty acid that is 70% higher in organic milk compared to non organic.

Organic tastes much better too which is a great bonus and the difference in price is worth it.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Eggs and milk are naturally organic.

Paying extra for the word "Organic" is a con.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I ask you to try organic and see if it tastes better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I ask you to try organic and see if it tastes better.

Well I buy organic milk and can't tell the difference in taste from non-organic milk. I occasionally buy organic eggs and when I do I can't tell the difference in taste between them and the non-organic free-range eggs I usually buy.

I sometimes buy organic fruit and veg, but I can tell the difference for that.
  • Options
    SwarfegaSwarfega Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to say I was a person who used to rubbish the idea of organic stuff tasting different. And while I still don't buy organic fruit and veg, I have bought organic milk and have noticed the difference. Enough difference to accept the higher price? Well I don't know about that.
    Eggs however, not noticed much, if anything, between them and normal free range ones.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My favorite eggs are Old Cotswold Legbar eggs. (pale blue shells).

Vivid golden yolks. Lovely taste.

Bit dearer, and worth every penny.
  • Options
    ee-ayee-ay Posts: 3,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I use them for fried, boiled, scrambled etc. I agree lovely taste.

For baking I use free range organic.
  • Options
    mazeymazey Posts: 137,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I usually buy organic milk as I do not like the farming practices for mass milk production, I am trying to learn more about Yeo Valley and their move to mass market supply while not compromising organic principles. The difference in price is a few pennies, easily saved in other ways. I have not found a difference between organic and free range eggs, again it is just the principle. For a box of 6 eggs the price difference is about 40p, that would buy one and a half cigarettes.

Organic veg are worth the extra most of the time, I think it is because they grow different varieties with more importance given to flavour and old, known to be low trouble varieties. Today we had some organic carrots from Morrisons and they were nearly as good as those my Dad used to grow, so sweet and crispy.
  • Options
    confuddledconfuddled Posts: 3,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

best eggs on the market by far...i never buy anything else:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eggs and milk are naturally organic.

Paying extra for the word "Organic" is a con.

Depends on exactly what you consider a 'con' to be because there are definite differences.

-Stronger flavour and/or observable stronger colours in the produce.
    -Less things like fertilisers, pesticides, antibiotics and growth hormones being used in production
    -Organic farming is significantly harder - less yield - so that's why it costs more
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mazey wrote: »
    I usually buy organic milk as I do not like the farming practices for mass milk production, I am trying to learn more about Yeo Valley and their move to mass market supply while not compromising organic principles. The difference in price is a few pennies, easily saved in other ways. I have not found a difference between organic and free range eggs, again it is just the principle. For a box of 6 eggs the price difference is about 40p, that would buy one and a half cigarettes.

Same here so far as milk is concerned.

For some time I've been buying Anchor Lighter Spreadable as although the butter isn't made using organic milk, Anchor make a point of saying their cows live free-range. I've always been uncomfortable about the fact that it comes from New Zealand so I was very pleased recently to see Yeo Valley Lighter Spreadable in Sainsburys, a 250g tub costs £1.40 against £2.60 for a 500g tub of Anchor Lighter Spreadable; the extra 20p for 500g is well worth it in my view as there is a much much lower carbon footprint and the milk in the butter is organic. Incidentally, this product is currently ONLY available in Sainsburys.
  • Options
    Flyboy152Flyboy152 Posts: 14,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Does anyone agree?

I agree as well. Also the hens are far better treated than free range.