SYCO Scandal

coun3spicecoun3spice Posts: 671
Forum Member
✭✭
i think the title is quite overstated, but that is how i take it after watching this video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_CnJh4nSX8

remember diamond white from x factor USA season 2, i mean do record labels (not just SYCO) really do that kind of thing, for me that is really heartless..

Comments

• Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was difficult to watch...I felt so sorry for her. Her voice is outstanding.
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember reading Syco were setting up a US label a while back, but haven't heard anything since, does anyone know if it happened?

I assumed she would have been signed for that label, but perhaps the US label plans fell through or something and that is why she is basically been ignored.

Either way I imagine this video will certainly get the attention of Simon and the label now, I hope it doesn't ruin her chances and they actually let her release something.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave0893 wrote: »
    Either way I imagine this video will certainly get the attention of Simon and the label now, I hope it doesn't ruin her chances and they actually let her release something.

I got the impression from that video that she's no longer signed to Syco. I think they signed her straight after XF, kept her waiting for months and months. I got the impression they just ignored her calls etc. Considering she was recording under the supervision of someone connected with XF, Syco must have given the go ahead for her to record the EP that she mentioned. In fact, there's no way on earth that Simon and Syco would have allowed her to record an EP independently from them if she was signed to them. So basically, they signed her, got her to record an EP and then left her for months and didn't give her any feedback or let her know what the plan was. I don't think this video will do her any harm anyway. Obviously Syco, LA Reid etc won't sign her again, but they obviously weren't bothered about her anyway. She had an amazing voice...I wonder if they maybe signed her and just kept her on their books in order for the winner of the show and Fith Harmony etc to get a head start without other acts from the show stelaing their thunder.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel sorry for her, but she has ruined any chances she had at the label now.

There's a reason why some Syco acts left the label. Cher Lloyd and Alexandra Burke both chose to leave, and the latter said it was because the label just had no time for her.

I don't think Syco is a particularly large label, so all their focus is just on 1D which unfortunately means that all the other acts on the label suffer.
  • marc822marc822 Posts: 3,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But what about shayne ward?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    I had to look her up, and it appears that she finished fifth in the 2012 competition. She'd have been way down the pecking order, assuming the four acts that finished ahead of her were signed as well.

If they haven't released anything by her yet, then the chances are that they won't. They have the 2013 contestants now, and they're far more recent in the public's mind.

The life span of an X Factor contestant is very ephemeral - the vast, vast majority do nothing beyond auditioning and very few acts except the winners (and sometimes not even them) go on to carve out a successful career.

The best thing she can do if it hasn't already happened is to ask the label to release her. If she's serious about making a career in music, then there's absolutely nothing to stop her from giving it a go. She will have a bit of recognition factor, although it may not be an entirely positive thing. Regardless, I'd say her time on SYCO is done.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You guys!
    She's named after a strong alcoholic drink:D
  • bitchboybluebitchboyblue Posts: 2,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why this is a scandal? She waited and waited for 7/8 months for a response? What idiot does that? She should have been advised to be released from her contract. I loathe the fact these nobody's think the world owes them a living. It doesn't. Get off your ar*e and work hard. And maybe, just maybe, she will get somewhere. Odds are, she probably won't though.
  • zeze88zeze88 Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why this is a scandal? She waited and waited for 7/8 months for a response? What idiot does that? She should have been advised to be released from her contract. I loathe the fact these nobody's think the world owes them a living. It doesn't. Get off your ar*e and work hard. And maybe, just maybe, she will get somewhere. Odds are, she probably won't though.

I think you are a little too harsh on her - she is only 14 years old, what does she know? I understand your point of view and I agree with it in a way, but I wouldn't call her an idiot or a nobody who wants wonders. It is understandable she is naive in thinking things will come her way since she is so young, but then again - she was signed AND she recorded an EP so it is natural to expect she will release the music.

It is certainly not anything surprising though as Syco does that all the time - they push the acts they like VERY hard and they ignore everyone else - 1D is their golden goose now, who cares about others. Simon is an ass, everyone knows that.
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What happened to that Spanish woman, Ruth something? Blew everyone away on the XF singing Purple Rain and Knocking On Heaven's Door. Did she ever release anything?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What happened to that Spanish woman, Ruth something? Blew everyone away on the XF singing Purple Rain and Knocking On Heaven's Door. Did she ever release anything?

She wasn't signed by Syco.
  • MikePJBMikePJB Posts: 5,514
    Forum Member
    Ah I wanted her to win when she was on X Factor USA. She has a really goo voice.

It's a shame that she's actually recorded music but they won't let her release it. I don't see the point in them holding on to her. Just let her go, it's too late to capitalise on on her X Factor stint now.

I hope she'll soon go to a label that will build her up and spend a little more time and effort with her.
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She wasn't signed by Syco.

I know that. But she did have a deal with somebody else, can't remember who now.
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know that. But she did have a deal with somebody else, can't remember who now.

I looked on wiki and they said Virgin Records and EMI. I remember reading she eventually left them after creative differences, shame as I thought she had real potential.
  • coun3spicecoun3spice Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zeze88 wrote: »
    I think you are a little too harsh on her - she is only 14 years old, what does she know? I understand your point of view and I agree with it in a way, but I wouldn't call her an idiot or a nobody who wants wonders. It is understandable she is naive in thinking things will come her way since she is so young, but then again - she was signed AND she recorded an EP so it is natural to expect she will release the music.

It is certainly not anything surprising though as Syco does that all the time - they push the acts they like VERY hard and they ignore everyone else - 1D is their golden goose now, who cares about others. Simon is an ass, everyone knows that.

i agree with you...that should be an initial reaction from a 14 year old who was signed and recorded an ep

and also with SYCO doing such thing, it is so proven, when they lost interest to one artist, they treat them as if they are nothing and focus on their CURRENT FAVORITE..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Syco and other labels involved in these tv shows favourites are those with the biggest existing fan bases. They want as bigger return as possible for as little effort possible. Acts like 1D, Little Mix, Fifth Harmony, Union J etc. all got signed up with large pre existing fanbases meaning anything they released was always bound to sell pretty well at least from Day 1. They were safe bets. All the discarded acts, like Diamond, will rightly or wrongly have been deemed an unjustifiable gamble.

You can see why Cowell is so keen on groups at the moment.
  • constantino_chrconstantino_chr Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is why you wait until your old enough to actually have a chance in the industry and research it instead of going on a stupid talent show and expect everything to just 'work out'.

She is lucky to have got the platform she did but at the end of the day, unless you work for it, you are never going to get anywhere.

It's unfortunate but that's the reality of these types of labels, they chew you up and spit you back out.
  • itunesfestival2itunesfestival2 Posts: 862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't watch the video anymore, they've taken it down. What did it talk about?
  • coun3spicecoun3spice Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i hope anyone has downloaded it
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is why you wait until your old enough to actually have a chance in the industry and research it instead of going on a stupid talent show and expect everything to just 'work out'.

She is lucky to have got the platform she did but at the end of the day, unless you work for it, you are never going to get anywhere.

It's unfortunate but that's the reality of these types of labels, they chew you up and spit you back out.

I agree with this. Unfortunately the video didn't surprise me.
    Diamond appears to be a pleasant youngster so I hope things work out for her.
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Tbh I think she's better off waiting until she's at least 16 to release music anyway unless she only wants to get airplay on Radio Disney.