Crossroads - 10 years later

Adam14Adam14 Posts: 2,607
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was just thinking that it will be 10 years next month since Crossroads left our screens. I can't quite believe it has been this long already!

It made me begin to wonder what the Crossroads Hotel would be like if it was still on the air? Could the soap have survived until 2013, if ITV had given it more time back then. I'm sure ITV would have been happy with ratings of 2+ million nowadays.

I guess the show would have been firmly established by now anyway. I still think it was a great format that could have worked if things had been different.

I loved both versions. I thought the 2001-2002 series was probably the most classic - however it does seem to have been the short lived 2003 series that made its mark more.

Anyways, I still wish it would come back..again :)

Comments

• Adam14Adam14 Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will have been 10 years exactly yesterday since the final episode of Crossroads.

They should bring it back again! :)
  • sam_geesam_gee Posts: 48,855
    Forum Member
    Miss Diane was in a soap not long ago. Was it Corrie? Can't remember who she played
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Benny Hawkins I remember him
  • ABCZYXABCZYX Posts: 12,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember Lucy Pargeter, (Emmerdale's Chas), was in it. She was Sherrie Hewson's daughter.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sam_gee wrote: »
    Miss Diane was in a soap not long ago. Was it Corrie? Can't remember who she played

Wasn't she the (previous) woman conned by Lewis, who Audrey wrote a ten grand cheque to?

That (I think) was the money he returned to her after shafting Gail.
  • jonjonsjonjons Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved Crossroads. The Booth family, Billy the chef, Minty the sous chef who is MistaJam, a big presenter on Radio1. I didn't like the 2003 version as it was too camp.

When ever I go to Nottingham Uni to visit friends I always want to go to where the set was
  • gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 2001-02 version had massive potential. Potential not appreciated by ITV, who were just too quick to replace it with the truly dreadful (and unsurprisingly short-lived) camped up version in 2003.

I think if ITV had stuck with the 2001-02 version the viewing figures would have gradually picked up as the show established its audience.
  • sam_geesam_gee Posts: 48,855
    Forum Member
    Wasn't she the (previous) woman conned by Lewis, who Audrey wrote a ten grand cheque to?

That (I think) was the money he returned to her after shafting Gail.

Thankyou - that was who she played
  • anndra_wanndra_w Posts: 6,557
    Forum Member
    It was a shame that it finished. When it first returned it was pretty good. I think when they killed of Jill it alienated a lot of the older viewers. I really couldn't believe they killed her at the time. You would have thought after axing Meg they would have been keen to treat other former stars and characters resepctfully. The first version was good with characters like Kate, Jake, Virginia, Sarah Jane, Jill and Adam etc. However as time when it on it became a bit stale. With the 2nd version they probably went a little bit too much overboard with the camp thing. Strangely enough I think the Angel Samson character would have worked in either version of the show and it was good for Kate to have an adversary but it was just a bit too high on the camp.
  • 12december198412december1984 Posts: 1,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sam_gee wrote: »
    Thankyou - that was who she played

Think her name was Penny?

It's a shame Crossroads was axed for a second time, I think it'd be doing well for ITV these days.
  • glen20glen20 Posts: 954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed both versions. Both were better than the trash we have now, even the 2003 version. This could have found it's niche as the surreal, camp soap but they never gave it a chance.

There were some strong characters. For example Virginia (Sherrie Hewson), Tracey (Cindy Marshall-Day) and Angel (Jane Asher).

Also Nancy (Jessica Fox) from Hollyoaks was in the 2003 version as was Freema Agyeman who played Lola. And of course Lucy Pargeter played Helen. Colin Wells played the womanising manager Jake Booth.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah yes... The Booth's!

Loved Jake, Kate, Tracey etc. Liked Kate's husband too (can't remember his name) but he was killed off - Patrick?

I just think of that orange Matchmaker coloured set and Venetian blinds lol! Lots of affairs, business deals etc
    - it really was the perfect daytime soap.

It's a shame because it really had masses of potential the 2001-2002 version.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Found a really interesting documentary on Youtube about the original comeback in 2001.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlS4FRUpFHg

It's a shame watching it now as so much time, work and money had been invested in the new series - only for it to last just 18 months.

It was such a big event too when it returned and it's almost hard to believe it was 12 years ago. It's even beginning to look a bit dated now! :eek:
  • ABCZYXABCZYX Posts: 12,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just found the last episode on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HW9imR19c8
  • Kestrel1992Kestrel1992 Posts: 990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If anybody has anymore clips of the 2003 version then could you please upload them onto you tube or somewhere. I would be very grateful.
  • jonjonsjonjons Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use to always get excited that I knew the hotel layout and knew how to get everywhere-how sad
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,804
    Forum Member
    Think her name was Penny?

It's a shame Crossroads was axed for a second time, I think it'd be doing well for ITV these days.

I have to disagree.

When it first came back, think it was 2001 it was passable, nothing quite like the original but passable.

Then they gave it a revamp and made it like Mr Pink's place and it was dreadful.

I always enjoyed the original and that ended 25 years ago (Easter Monday '88)
  • gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's like 'Echo Beach' - ITV never gave it a chance either.

I think in a different time-slot 'Echo Beach' could have done quite well.

Similarly, Crossroads maybe needed a bit of a tweak, but given time it could have been successful.
  • fairyfruitcakefairyfruitcake Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the problem with the return of Crossroads was the name - if they had called it something else, anything else it could have worked - so many of the original fans were so against any re-incarnations that weren't identical to the original that it was never going to work. I really liked 2003 version - but it was doomed from the start
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,460
    Forum Member
    Loved the second series, watching the documentary made me reminisce about the second relaunch and how much money and hype there was about it, it's such a shame itv didn't stick with the second series as i firmly believe it still would have Been around today.

It had a good strong cast, potential for numerous guest stars like doctors, and could have been a strong part of the schedule, the ratings wasn't that bad.
  • 12december198412december1984 Posts: 1,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's weird seeing some of the characters in the last ever episode before they became more known in other roles.

Jessica Fox doesn't look any different 10 years later!