The Ridiculous Over Marking On DWTS...

2»

Comments

• martyboymartyboy Posts: 1,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's hard for us to understand how deeply this idea that "saying things are wonderful makes them wonderful" is ingrained in the American psyche. I thing it's an idea that they must pick up almost from childhood.

They do have this, strange to us, way of viewing things through rose-tinted glass, and putting a positive spin on things, even in the most dire situations.

Where we would regard ourselves as simply speaking the truth, they would find it offensive, and even incomprehensible, if it's something negative.
  • BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then simply go to any half decent Salsa club

I'm not looking to fall out over this. I'm not interested in dancing myself, just being entertained on a Saturday night and Mark's Salsa in last year's final is my favourite all time dance.

I agree with the judges that John has a posture problem. I'm not an expert, just a viewer but even when he is dancing Latin he doesn't make a nice shape as he stoops because he is so round shouldered, and with the extra weight he is carrying it is just not flattering (I'm not a skinny either, I carry several stone too many). He can't help it and that doesn't mean I don't like him, he's a lovely man but his dancing doesn't do anything for me. Just my opinion. :)
  • La RhumbaLa Rhumba Posts: 11,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Entertainment is great Buddy, and viewers have differing opinions. :D

But for a dance purist, the Salsas danced on shows like these are not really authentic - even Tess called it a "Saltza"! :p

What was so wonderful about Nicole & John's dance was that it could've been a couple dancing in a Salsa club - everything about it had real Cuban feel, and Lilia raved on the red button commentary too. :)

I often feel the Samba is danced at far too slow a tempo these days, certainly the music used is ridiculous sometimes - it tends to be more Disco classics. But then the Ballroom Samba is not the same as the Samba from Rio, and has developed it's own style as a Ballroom Latin Dance, whereas Salsa is not a Ballroom dance, so the feel the couples should be going for is precisely what John & Nicole achieved. But as you say, it's all a matter of personal taste, and the combination of the music and rhythm and timing displayed by John that night made it my fave Salsa. :)
  • BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    La Rhumba wrote: »

But for a dance purist, the Salsas danced on shows like these are not really authentic - even Tess called it a "Saltza"! :p

What was so wonderful about Nicole & John's dance was that it could've been a couple dancing in a Salsa club - everything about it had real Cuban feel, and Lilia raved on the red button commentary too. :)

I often feel the Samba is danced at far too slow a tempo these days, certainly the music used is ridiculous sometimes - it tends to be more Disco classics. But then the Ballroom Samba is not the same as the Samba from Rio, and has developed it's own style as a Ballroom Latin Dance, whereas Salsa is not a Ballroom dance, so the feel the couples should be going for is precisely what John & Nicole achieved. But as you say, it's all a matter of personal taste, and the combination of the music and rhythm and timing displayed by John that night made it my fave Salsa. :)

I'm sure you're right, particularly about the dance purists, which obviously I'm not ;) and I think the idea that has been floated before where there are compulsory elements in each dance sounds like a good one! :D
  • Sari~Sari~ Posts: 1,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    martyboy wrote: »
    It's hard for us to understand how deeply this idea that "saying things are wonderful makes them wonderful" is ingrained in the American psyche. I thing it's an idea that they must pick up almost from childhood.

They do have this, strange to us, way of viewing things through rose-tinted glass, and putting a positive spin on things, even in the most dire situations.

Where we would regard ourselves as simply speaking the truth, they would find it offensive, and even incomprehensible, if it's something negative.

I think that is a gross exaggeration of the American psyche. I do agree that many try to highlight the positive parts of a situation, but "saying things are wonderful makes them wonderful" is not something that anyone I know was taught to believe.

Onto the over scoring. I think it's tptb's attempt to hype everything up, but pretty much everyone on the boards I go to, which are primarily Americans, absolutely hate the over scoring and think the judges in general are a joke. I feel safe to say that if next season the judges reign themselves in a bit everyone would be a lot happier. When everyone is getting an 8 or higher it really takes any reward out of a 10.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's refreshing to hear Sari, as I think a false impression is created by the studio audience in both their reactions to the Judge's comments if anything less than totally complimentary is said, and also in the vox pops done for the Results Show, along the lines of "how dare Bruno give a 9, he needs new glasses" etc. There doesn't seem much room for manouvre there, so maybe the producers need to read the fans on the boards and forums more, and tell the studio audience to hush up, but that'll be difficult, as they're so used to cheerleading in America, even on Talk Shows. :)
  • Sari~Sari~ Posts: 1,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, the studio audiences are basically prompted to cheer and jeer and make as much racket as possible unfortunately. It drives me nuts when the judges try and say something constructive and the booing starts. I think that started on American Idol with Simon Cowell and that is definitely egged on by the producers.
    I can't pretend there aren't some who get bent out of shape when negative criticism is doled out, but I think that generally comes from hardcore fans of specific contestants.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    La Rhumba wrote: »

Thank you for putting it so succintly La Rhumba. Altho I would never class myself as a Salsa purist or aficionado (only going to Salsa clubs very infrequently)by any means. I have been annoyed quite frankly with the negativity surrounding John's Salsa and the solitary 10 mark that he got from Len (who let's face it is prone to overmarking), when people seem able to accept a perfect score of 40 of Mark and Karen's what I would describe as Salsa-ish Salsa. Altho M & K's Salsa was the best of the night.
    John and Nicole's Salsa was the kind of Salsa you are far more likely to SEE with music you are far more likely to hear HEAR in Salsa clubs up and down the country. And in my opinion is certainly the best Salsa on SCD so far (Alesha came close but spoilt it with that Michael Jackson song...and those horrid "hoochy mama" moves)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oak wrote: »
    Marie, Cameron and Jennie (just recently) are not the better dancers in the competition. There is no way their dances should have got 8s and 9s on the last show. 6s and 7s yes, but not 8s and 9s. As I said in my first post, the over marking has been going on all season, not just recently. Hence my comment about the judges not having their 1 - 7 scoring paddles.

I just mentioned the loss of the paddles on Dancing with the Stars on the Strictly forum- it was an overmarking topic. I promise I didnt pinch your lost paddle joke honest!
    I cant understand why Mel's dancing is geting 10s everytime. I really didnt get the swinging the rope around the head dance.
    Isnt it funny as well that the judges do a standing ovation on the US programme but not the UK one. Very British thing I think.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have expected the 10's to be flowing like it was Christmas in the final.
    Glad to see they did make use of the 7 paddles
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Astonishing wasn't it? I would never have expected that low. :o
  • OakOak Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have expected the 10's to be flowing like it was Christmas in the final.
    Glad to see they did make use of the 7 paddles

I know! It was a pleasant surprise. Marie wasn't too pleased though. She had a horrible attitude throughout the finale IMO.