Options

ER....From the beginning.

Comments

• Options
    Debs79hDebs79h Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    Romano ended up being one of my fav characters on the show. It was an episode that involved his dog that was the turning point for me lol. Still not got over what they did to him. Although the actor seems to not have much luck in many of the roles hes played (onscreen that is).
  • Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just had to join the thread :D

I'm one of those people who wont buy DVD's because I cant see the point of watching a film twice - and I never did get those people who used to watch friends over and over and over.

But ER is THE 1 thing - oh and Without A Trace - that I CAN watch again, I too have been watching from the start on Sky Atlantic.

I also watched them on C4/E4 but never EVERY episode like I am now - thanks to Sky+ and Series Link. :cool:

The only problem I have with the daily episodes on Sky Atlantic is that I sometimes have to remind myself that the storylines that seem to play out so quick were a week apart and in the space of 4 weeks we are getting a whole Series/Season which was originally played out over a YEAR !

RE: Abby Lockhart - Wow that woman was my, IS my ideal woman :D gorgeous, stunning ........ I could go on :rolleyes:

I am planning to try and watch the whole run this time as somewhere I missed 2/3 Series and maybe missed odd episodes prior to Sky+.

For me the whole Mark Green storyline is one of the saddest in TV - so evan from the beggining every episode is just the build up to his death. I think this is down to his Acting skills and why he is still rumoured to be the highest paid actors in tv history - I think he was offered $2 mill per episode at the latter end.

He is ER !

I do like the Carter storyline though also as he is very much portrayed as the comical 'Stan Laurel' type but over the years his character matures at the same rate as the Series.
    Which again is easy to forget watching 5 epi per week.

My female crush BEFORE AL was Susan Lewis and I was always gutted that her and Mark never quite got it together. I do think that this is one of the reasons why ER was so popular - they didn't always give the viewer what they wanted like so many shows eventually do to please the viewer.

One of my only complaints about ER - and again this was done intentionally - was the way a favourite character would exit the show, eg Susan, Carter - they would leave or sometimes even enter without getting a proper send off. I think this was done to reflect the busy nature of the ER department but I felt that this could have been done without it seeming like a snub.

Anyway for now I'll leave it there before this becomes the worlds longest post (if it aint already :rolleyes:)

As I said at the start show was a one off !

You have to be careful with that series link thing..mine stopped recording at the end of one of the seasons and didn't pick up the new one..:( Luckily I caught up on the Saturday repeats..but I'm still missing the one after Mark's attack for some reason.
  • Options
    BLADESMAN1889BLADESMAN1889 Posts: 657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I agree, Series Link does seem to be a law unto itself - 1 thing mine seems to do (too often) is lose Set Recordings.

I have several programs recorded every day & I'll be looking through the planner deciding what I should watch, say on a Friday & I'll suddenly realise that one of the Series Linked programs that should have been recorded on say Tuesday has 'disapeared' totally !

So yeah I do keep a close eye on it. PITA ! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 144
    Forum Member
    I too am loving this on Sky Atlantic. All my ER crushes have been reborn :p Although my George Clooney one never died! lol!!

Mark Greene's future storylines/exit is one of the most powerful/saddest/emotional ones in telly for me too (along with Billy from Ally McBeal) Anthony Edwards is a great actor. Agreed with previous posters that 'Dr Greene is ER.'
  • Options
    MamaboogieMamaboogie Posts: 3,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BEST. PROGRAMME. EVER.

In my little opinion!:D

I watched every single ER episode as it was shown on TV - and I now have all the boxed sets.

I wouldn't know where to begin describing why I love it. I can't even list a favourite character as there were so many great characters.

I'll always have a soft spot for Carter - as we (the viewer) embarked on his journey in the first episode and stuck with him more or less right the way through.

Mark Greene though - :cry: How much did I love that character? Really cared about him.

The relationships are what made the programme - Doug and Carol, Abby and Luka, Mark and Elizabeth, Neela and Michael, Neela and Ray (christened Legless Ray by my kids!)

Watching the last season, I cried at nearly every episode - knowing it was coming to an end seemed to up the emotional stakes. And the ending was very fitting.

What an amazing piece of TV.
  • Options
    Sharona68Sharona68 Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched ER from start to finish.

I have looked at this thread and thought "how great, some people are watching ER for the first time and some again but I can't be arsed to do that".

However, a few weekends ago I was flicking through channels and caught some repeats on Sky Atlantic.

Now, obviously, I am re-hooked and have it on series link each night.

Just at the end of tonights episode and, even though I know what's coming, can't wait for tomorrow.

What a great show it was and is lol :D
  • Options
    Mrs_Stig24Mrs_Stig24 Posts: 4,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been home for the last week "revising" and my mum's had this on everyday and i'm hooked!

I watched it when it originally aired (well when my mum started to allow me watch it!) and i've seen odd repeats since my mum is an ER addict! So I remember the Luka/Abby/Neela/Morris/Pratt/Sam/Ray era. (That season finale where Abby goes into premature labour and Luka is strapped to a strecher unable to help, set to Open Your Eyes by Snow Patrol gives me goosebumps every single time

I'm actually looking forward to summer when i can see some of the earlier episodes. I've grown quite attached to Dr Greene and i know how that story ends up :(
  • Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mamaboogie wrote: »
    BEST. PROGRAMME. EVER.

In my little opinion!:D

I watched every single ER episode as it was shown on TV - and I now have all the boxed sets.

I wouldn't know where to begin describing why I love it. I can't even list a favourite character as there were so many great characters.

I'll always have a soft spot for Carter - as we (the viewer) embarked on his journey in the first episode and stuck with him more or less right the way through.

Mark Greene though - :cry: How much did I love that character? Really cared about him.

The relationships are what made the programme - Doug and Carol, Abby and Luka, Mark and Elizabeth, Neela and Michael, Neela and Ray (christened Legless Ray by my kids!)

Watching the last season, I cried at nearly every episode - knowing it was coming to an end seemed to up the emotional stakes. And the ending was very fitting.

What an amazing piece of TV.

Hiya Mama! {{{HUGS}}} :D

Best show ever for me is The West Wing, but ER is in my top 5. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have just caught up on a couple of episodes....one person who is seriously annoying me is Cynthia...I don't remember her character at all, and as I know Mark ends up with Elizabeth their relationship doesn't last..just hope it ends soon!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    Have just caught up on a couple of episodes....one person who is seriously annoying me is Cynthia...I don't remember her character at all, and as I know Mark ends up with Elizabeth their relationship doesn't last..just hope it ends soon!

It is nice to see a young Maritsa Hargitay (sp) though.. waaay before SVU. *And* thingy wotsit from CSI LV as the paramedic last night.

I loved ER the first time around, and am loving it again now.

Remembered the Anspaugh son storyline wrong though - thought Carter was the main doc caring for him (due to his empathy over his brother dying young) not Jeannie..

And my Sky plus missed the ep after Greene's attack as well.

I can't remember, as it may have been in that ep, is Carter being paid for his ER work at the moment? I have vague memories of him saying to Kerry that he didn't need paying because of his family.. and then him being cut off and having to ask Kerry for money.

Can't believe all this was 15 years ago.. my daughter wasn't even born!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strange about the Sky+ thing perhaps that episode just wasn't shown for some reason....Just watched a lovely Christmas episode with the blind man who could see for a short while...the tissues were out by the end.:cry:
  • Options
    Tamryn29Tamryn29 Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strange about the Sky+ thing perhaps that episode just wasn't shown for some reason....Just watched a lovely Christmas episode with the blind man who could see for a short while...the tissues were out by the end.:cry:

Ah yeah i saw this one recently, and i had the tissues out too :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know if it has anything to do with what time the episode was on, but my Sky + picked up the 'after the Mark Green attack'.

I've been watching the 9am showings.

@ guernseysnail: RE: Cynthia -

Its funny I don't remember her at all either & was only thinking the same just the other day.

I don't remember Dr Hannah Del Ammico either which is strange as she is really pretty :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know if it has anything to do with what time the episode was on, but my Sky + picked up the 'after the Mark Green attack'.

Its funny I don't remember her at all either & was only thinking the same just the other day.

I don't remember Dr Hannah Del Ammico either which is strange as she is really pretty :D

I'm a 2pm recorder..:D, there's been a few characters I can't remember, really enjoying watching though, I had forgotton so much of the little stuff, Weaver is having a little fling as well with a Doc..presumed she had always been a lesbian,
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's actually Anna :) And I definitely remember her lol, disappointed she wasn't in it for longer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    @ guernseysnail: RE Weaver -

I'm seeing her in a whole new light - I used to really dislike her and remembered her as being this old dragon.

Now she doesnt seem either, for 2 reasons - I'v enjoyed watching her in THE EVENT, and I'm about the same age as she WAS then :D.

@ Dick Darlington -

you're right :)

she's currently starring in the US version of Prime Suspect.
  • Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't remember Cynthia! :D

I do remember not liking Mark's wife or his daughter though!

Kerry had a real chip on her shoulder early on and was hard to like.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member

The episode was shown, I watched it. I record the 6pm and the 9am showing just in case Sky + decides to lose the link. But it does mean I am one ahead of you lot in here :) I wasn't patient enough to wait till Monday when the episode was on at 6pm on Friday :):o
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anakate wrote: »
    It is nice to see a young Maritsa Hargitay (sp) though.. waaay before SVU. * !

I am loving the reruns as well. Far better than 90% of new TV which shows what a great series this was. Everything was just perfect - the combo of Spielberg, Crichton (as in Jurassic Park) and fantastic casting. When you see it alongside Casualty it is like a 'before and after' shot on how to make a recurring drama set in a hospital.

Whether the new Spielberg TV series launching this autumn (Terra Nova) will work as well is another matter - though it blows the ER budget out of the water!

As for Mariska Hargitay I had completely missed that she was in ER as a regular about 6/7 years before SVU. And she is such a different character to Olivia that it illustrates why she deserves the Emmy awards that she has got as she is a terrific actress being able to create two very believable but quite different characters.
  • Options
    conmarcas3conmarcas3 Posts: 5,260
    Forum Member
    anakate wrote: »
    It is nice to see a young Maritsa Hargitay (sp) though.. waaay before SVU. *And* thingy wotsit from CSI LV as the paramedic last night.

I loved ER the first time around, and am loving it again now.

Remembered the Anspaugh son storyline wrong though - thought Carter was the main doc caring for him (due to his empathy over his brother dying young) not Jeannie..

And my Sky plus missed the ep after Greene's attack as well.

I can't remember, as it may have been in that ep, is Carter being paid for his ER work at the moment? I have vague memories of him saying to Kerry that he didn't need paying because of his family.. and then him being cut off and having to ask Kerry for money.

Can't believe all this was 15 years ago.. my daughter wasn't even born!

I think he thought he would actually get paid, but when he got his first pay check and went to thank Carrie, she had him sign it back over for the insurance :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just had to join the thread :D

I'm one of those people who wont buy DVD's because I cant see the point of watching a film twice - and I never did get those people who used to watch friends over and over and over.

But ER is THE 1 thing - oh and Without A Trace - that I CAN watch again, I too have been watching from the start on Sky Atlantic.

I also watched them on C4/E4 but never EVERY episode like I am now - thanks to Sky+ and Series Link. :cool:

The only problem I have with the daily episodes on Sky Atlantic is that I sometimes have to remind myself that the storylines that seem to play out so quick were a week apart and in the space of 4 weeks we are getting a whole Series/Season which was originally played out over a YEAR !

RE: Abby Lockhart - Wow that woman was my, IS my ideal woman :D gorgeous, stunning ........ I could go on :rolleyes:

I am planning to try and watch the whole run this time as somewhere I missed 2/3 Series and maybe missed odd episodes prior to Sky+.

For me the whole Mark Green storyline is one of the saddest in TV - so evan from the beggining every episode is just the build up to his death. I think this is down to his Acting skills and why he is still rumoured to be the highest paid actors in tv history - I think he was offered $2 mill per episode at the latter end.

He is ER !

I do like the Carter storyline though also as he is very much portrayed as the comical 'Stan Laurel' type but over the years his character matures at the same rate as the Series.
    Which again is easy to forget watching 5 epi per week.

My female crush BEFORE AL was Susan Lewis and I was always gutted that her and Mark never quite got it together. I do think that this is one of the reasons why ER was so popular - they didn't always give the viewer what they wanted like so many shows eventually do to please the viewer.

One of my only complaints about ER - and again this was done intentionally - was the way a favourite character would exit the show, eg Susan, Carter - they would leave or sometimes even enter without getting a proper send off. I think this was done to reflect the busy nature of the ER department but I felt that this could have been done without it seeming like a snub.

Anyway for now I'll leave it there before this becomes the worlds longest post (if it aint already :rolleyes:)

As I said at the start show was a one off !

I think this was actually done because they were peed off with her. The show was a major hit, the actors were all being nominated for awards and then Sherry Stringfield quit 3 years into her 5 year contract. They gave her a crappy exit and she was forced to sign a no-work agreement, or similar name, which meant she couldn't work in tv for the rest of her contract. She actually walked away from a fortune, everyone in the tv industry were shocked because the producers were just about to do the syndication deal and they would all make millions. They asked her back a few times and she refused, but then she asked to return in season 8. She just couldn't deal with stardom apparently and just wanted a normal life. Guess she wanted a bit more money for her normal life a few years later lol.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I loved how it came full circle. Mark had a heart to heart with Carter in the pilot and told him to "set the tone". In the finale, when Carter realised Rachel was doing her internship there and he was chatting to her, he passed that along. Very moving as I did see all the episodes during their original run. I was glad though that it started with Carter and also ended with him.

Oh, and who could forget Jerry's suspension :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The episode was shown, I watched it. I record the 6pm and the 9am showing just in case Sky + decides to lose the link. But it does mean I am one ahead of you lot in here :) I wasn't patient enough to wait till Monday when the episode was on at 6pm on Friday :):o

How strange...:confused:

The episode with Mark's attack quite upset me..but there is a story line in the episodes at the moment with the attack and rapes of elderly women which is very moving.
  • Options
    belfastkidbelfastkid Posts: 2,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey has the Smallpox finale happened yet? That was always a standout series finale of ER for me for some reason.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    belfastkid wrote: »
    Hey has the Smallpox finale happened yet? That was always a standout series finale of ER for me for some reason.

No that was the end of Season 8 so still a way to go yet :) (and yeah its probably one of my favourite finales as well).