Options

Lance Armstrong Confesses to Oprah!

Comments

• Options
    HaloJoeHaloJoe Posts: 13,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sweet FA wrote: »
    He's quite simply a nasty piece of work and shouldn't be given any airtime whatsoever. Doubt he would be over here...

The ratings will be huge, i agree he's a nasty piece of work, but it's television they thrive on good ratings. Im sure he'd get plenty of airtime here, and many other countrys!
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Really? They may have been denied an opportunity to maybe receive a medal but I doubt lives were destroyed because of him doping.. I doubt their careers were destroyed either.

Lance has been punished by having his titles stripped from him and, he goes down in cycling history(?) as a cheat. Him appearing on Oprah "explaining things" means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Actually, some clean riders left the sport rather than dope so yes, their careers were destroyed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I find that a little difficult to believe; athletes who take performance enhancers take them for the best possilble chance to win, so why would lance bully other cyclists into taking them?!

If he generally has always been a dick it would be because be was enabled to do so.

He bullied his own team mates into taking drugs so that they would be the strongest team available to support him.

do you know anything about cycling....at all? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just out of interest, which branch of Showbiz does Pro Cycling come under?
  • Options
    edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ain't that the truth and also one of the nastiest ever. Apart from being a cheat he was vile along with it, anyone who dared to question him was hounded and he threw the threat of lawsuits around like confetti. Going on Oprah Winfrey like a whinge baby doesn't surprise me in the least, nor does her interviewing him surpirse me either. He shouldn't be given a platform for his excuses- he should be made pay back the money he earned under false pretences , apologise to those men and women he lambasted for having the decency to question him and then dissappear for good.

True :mad::mad::mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't know about him being vile and nasty but on This Morning they are saying that in his heyday his used lawyers to stamp on anybody that suggested he used drugs. Wonder if anyone in those lawsuits will have some way of recourse now?

To me the interview on Oprah is damage limitation for him and more wolrdwide publicity for her.

exactly, its a win-win situation , SHAME.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's probably because all the clean.riders had been forced to.retire or been sacked by their team for finishing in the bus, if finishing at all in the months or years proceeding.

The poster on here claiming Armstrong to be a vile, nasty piece of work is quite legitimate in doing so. The lives and careers of multiple innocent people were destroyed by him.

Exactly.
    Sure that poster was maybe quite harsh but I remember watching the Tour of the France a lot especially when he had all these wins. The fact that he always I mean always vehemently denied all these allegations in the past to the point of being vile and arrogant with it , is unnerving. So I can understand why some people like that poster have that opinion of him.
    Shame really .
  • Options
    Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    Everything : he was all powerful and quite intimidating within his team and very used to getting his own way. You couldn't be part of Lance's team without doing what Lance wanted.

If those others took drugs because he told them then more fool them.. No one no matter how "powerful" he/she thought they were I would not do it. They should of walked out...or did they profit from his success and that ment more to them?
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If those others took drugs because he told them then more fool them.. No one no matter how "powerful" he/she thought they were I would not do it. They should of walked out...or did they profit from his success and that ment more to them?

I imagine it was a case of you do it Lance's way or you don't remain on the team.

The British female cyclist (can't remember her name) who has been doing TV interviews about Armstrong this week says she and a female colleague were bullied and treated quite badly by their teammates for refusing to do drugs.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,530
    Forum Member
    Electra wrote: »

Same branch as Digital Spy have it under, I guess.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/news/a451298/oprah-winfrey-lance-armstrong-interview-is-the-biggest-of-my-career.html

I can't see the point of this interview at all. If he confesses, it proves him to be a cheat and a lier. If he refuses to confess, it proves him to be a cheat and a lier.

I find it hard to see the difference.
  • Options
    Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I imagine it was a case of you do it Lance's way or you don't remain on the team.

The British female cyclist (can't remember her name) who has been doing TV interviews about Armstrong this week says she and a female colleague were bullied and treated quite badly by their teammates for refusing to do drugs.

What has her treatment got to do with Lance Armstrong? She was never in his team. From all accounts cycling was rampant with drugs at he time he is alleged to of done it. That's why I don't understand this outrage at just him... He wasn't alone
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What has her treatment got to do with Lance Armstrong? She was never in his team. From all accounts cycling was rampant with drugs at he time he is alleged to of done it. That's why I don't understand this outrage at just him... He wasn't alone

Her point is that Armstrong as the figurehead of the sport did an enormous amount of damage to it. If the greatest cyclist in history with the most inspirational story is exposed as a cheat, a liar and a fraud, then it's pretty much a disaster for the sport.
  • Options
    Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    Oh what rot. I am so irritated by this. Americans seem to love "sinners" who confess and weep on TV, no matter what they have done, they are forgiven! Absolutely disgusting if Armstrong, after ten years of denying that he took any kind of drugs, merrily turns up on Oprah (of ALL places) and makes an emotional confession!! Obviously, he is hoping to come across as sympathetic. I hear Oprah is charging more for adverts during her show. How awful. I, for one, will never watch Armstrong making any kind of comment. His behaviour is truly appalling. Personally I think he should crawl under a rock and stay there!! Remember, Fergie did the same thing after her "selling introductions" to Prince Andrew fiasco.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member
    Everything : he was all powerful and quite intimidating within his team and very used to getting his own way. You couldn't be part of Lance's team without doing what Lance wanted.

If he was caught, he would be able to take his team-mates down with him, so no-one could take his place. Also, if they were all at it, none of them had an obvious reason to shop him.

There's also the practical reason that in order to ride as an effective team, they would have to be at the same sort of level. They were no use to him or his teams if they were plodding up the hills a long way behind him.
  • Options
    milliejomilliejo Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He was the one that won The Tour De France seven times and was the biggest name in the sport and a big sport star in USA, they won't care about anyone they haven't heard off and he is the one that successfully sued The Sunday Times for libel, when it printed a story about his drug taking, which we know is in fact true.
  • Options
    LaraMitchLaraMitch Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    I think it terrible that he lied for so long.
    However I do feel he being made a scape goat!!! He was not the only cyclist using performance enhancing drugs. My husband had the pantarri book and when he read extracts from that to me I was shocked.
    It would have been armstrong whole team, drs etc too involved with it which I personally think is even worse!! The drs are making huge amounts of money for enabling athletes to take drugs and pass. Surely the whole escapade should be investigated and all held culpable.
    On another note at least he did use his position at the time to raise millions for charity, he may have been dishonest but I do hope that the money he raised during that period helped to save lives.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 353
    Forum Member
    One comment I have seen online is the fact that he lied in Dodgeball! Even in a cameo in a film he has lied hence the (!) the fact that for years he has fooled so many people and then to appear on Oprah to confess? Why now and another question as this little clip shows

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdryiAGazjI#

Was this all scripted? Did he get paid for the interview? And again why admit it all now? Is there something else he is going to do - Become a reformed character and appear on reality shows or something.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LaraMitch wrote: »
    I think it terrible that he lied for so long.
    However I do feel he being made a scape goat!!! He was not the only cyclist using performance enhancing drugs. My husband had the pantarri book and when he read extracts from that to me I was shocked.
    It would have been armstrong whole team, drs etc too involved with it which I personally think is even worse!! The drs are making huge amounts of money for enabling athletes to take drugs and pass. Surely the whole escapade should be investigated and all held culpable.
    On another note at least he did use his position at the time to raise millions for charity, he may have been dishonest but I do hope that the money he raised during that period helped to save lives.

In a way, that's what has made it worse. He has painted himself as a selfless good guy, when he was a blatant cheat, a bully and a ruthless self-promoter who would trample on anyone who got in his way.
  • Options
    yaristamanyaristaman Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing that get me about this - All these people that are going to try to get back money that was paid to him over the years (sponsors, people who paid him appearance fees, etc, etc..), are they going to pay back all the money THEY made off his name??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mallaha wrote: »
    In a way, that's what has made it worse. He has painted himself as a selfless good guy, when he was a blatant cheat, a bully and a ruthless self-promoter who would trample on anyone who got in his way.

He went part of the way towards admitting it last night.....he admitted he was a bully and a control freak, and said he had been all his life.
  • Options
    wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »

Pro-Zac, if you are Lance Armstrong.

;)
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LaraMitch wrote: »
    However I do feel he being made a scape goat

He is anything but a scapegoat.
  • Options
    aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really? They may have been denied an opportunity to maybe receive a medal but I doubt lives were destroyed because of him doping.. I doubt their careers were destroyed either.

Lance has been punished by having his titles stripped from him and, he goes down in cycling history(?) as a cheat. Him appearing on Oprah "explaining things" means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Google Christophe Bassons, Emma O'Reilly and Betsy Andreu.
  • Options
    aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nicole Cook.

This is her retirement statement in full and it explains just how far reaching the whole situation was and clean riders of both sexes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He went part of the way towards admitting it last night.....he admitted he was a bully and a control freak, and said he had been all his life.

That he did - we got a few glimpses of it as well, the repeated "now listen" to Oprah and the attempting to make a joke about the Betsy Andreu business.

My over-riding impression of of him was of someone who actually believes his own bullshit. There's no way back from that.