MasterChef Australia Season 6 ...

Comments

• cikacika Posts: 3,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loving this series so far, even though it's not very far into it. Much less whooping and shrieking, which is always a good thing. At the moment I'm liking Byron although I can see that the lack of self confidence schtick will wear thin fairly quickly, and am developing a crush on Renae and her tattoos even though stretchers freak me out.

Now to catch up with Bake Off. It's all go, isn't it?
  • triton333triton333 Posts: 1,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBAnne wrote: »
    also, people being granted places etc because "they really want it" and they've "sacrificed everything to be here" is majorly disappointing

So if I threw in my job and got a cheap ticket to Oz and rocked up to the auditions, if I've ditched the old man for the opportunity to appear, I'd be granted a place?

There was one contestant in particular, in the audition stage I think, they seemed to let in just because he pleaded so much. I was thinking: No, no, chuck him out. But most of them got in on merit (as far as we can tell).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    Oh great, the BFFs are back together again...
  • gerry23gerry23 Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    Given that Asian cuisine is so popular in Oz, you would have thought that the guy who got eliminated would have got himself a bit clued about it before it all started.

It always amazes me when you get a few episodes into it, someone will pipe up with something like "never made pasta before" or "I don't really know about Indian food" - I think I'd need to be sure I knew at least the basics before making myself look like a plonker in front of millions of people!
  • andallthatjazzandallthatjazz Posts: 6,413
    Forum Member
    What the hell is wrong with George this series???

Looks like the more he loses weight the more he becomes grumpy, angry, and even uglier!>:(

He's taking it too far seriously with his cliche & repetitive questioning.

I think he just doesn't gel with Matt & Gary anymore...he's very odd one out & maybe time to replace him.

I don't really like this new George at all.
  • BlokeeBlokee Posts: 644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think George is as lovely as ever. I have long thought that George is the best judge of the three and probably the fairest. When someone is making an error he just gives them the look to say 'come on...'

I really think contestants need to listen to the judges when they give subtle hints - there is a difference between thinking a combination of flavours is 'interesting' and 'it worries me' from the judges and the chefs who do badly have tunnel vision and don't see these hints.

I'm not happy we haven't seen the titles or anything of the MCA house. There are still a few people whose names I don't know.

I'm happy they brought back a Top 50. Also I like the move from 60 to 90 minutes as it gives more time to actually show cooking - certainly when they have two cooks in one episode (mystery box and invention test for example). I would have preferred a longer top 50 - I thought in S3 when they had a full week of Top 50 - we learned a lot about all the chefs before they even got into the house.

So far I dislike Byron a lot. Takes it too seriously and seems to be getting through due to his sob story. Don't like Laura either because of her desperation of a friendship with Georgia.

I really liked Brendan so unhappy he's gone. I like Sarah and Kira. Also a couple of others whose names I don't know yet but they seem to be consistently good.

So far though the quality seems 50x better than last year and I am in general liking the format changes. Think all three judges are still excellent and I'm certainly with the show as I was worried after last year.
  • munkyfellovermunkyfellover Posts: 2,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best series of any Masterchef ever.
  • coolmum123coolmum123 Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to this evenings episode, it's Thursday so will have some vino with it! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    coolmum123 wrote: »
    Looking forward to this evenings episode, it's Thursday so will have some vino with it! :D

Tut. I only have a glass with it when it's a day with a 'y' in. :D
  • MagpieMaisieMagpieMaisie Posts: 2,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out of wine, so have stolen some of the other half's beer to drink while I cook myself a bewddiful curry :)
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blimey - just saw the trailer for tomorrow and googled Shannon Bennett for some reason (not sure why, just wondered stuff) and he's married to Dee from Neighbours! And they have 4 children with twins on the way. I don't know why I'm so surprised, but I am.
  • triton333triton333 Posts: 1,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blokee wrote: »
    I'm not happy we haven't seen the titles or anything of the MCA house. There are still a few people whose names I don't know.

I'm happy they brought back a Top 50. Also I like the move from 60 to 90 minutes as it gives more time to actually show cooking - certainly when they have two cooks in one episode (mystery box and invention test for example). I would have preferred a longer top 50 - I thought in S3 when they had a full week of Top 50 - we learned a lot about all the chefs before they even got into the house.

The titles and house will come (if they still haven't yet).

The auditions and top 50 were quite truncated. The whole series was also a few weeks shorter than some past series. They would have been wary of how much they invested after last year's poor ratings performance, but since it did better this year I'm hoping next year's will be stretched out again. It was Ten's most popular show by far this year and in hindsight they might wish they'd got more out of it.

Episode lengths vary. Most are not 90 minutes. I just hope you are getting it all.
  • BBAnneBBAnne Posts: 23,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh, thread's moved but lovely to see everyone again for Series 6 :D

The quality of cooking is pretty mind blowing this season, I don't reckon Emma could do half now of what this lot are doing at the start of their second week

There's still a few that we haven't seen enough of yet - Colin springs to mind, doesn't he have a "story" or a "journey" ?? Really wanted the judges to try his stuffed chicken wings, they looked yummy!

Series 1 is just about to finish on TLC, I've been series linking this as I never saw it from the start, so pleased they ditched the female host
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed tonights episode avec le vin 😉 liking Tash (?). Had chinese fried rice for dinner tonight having been inspired by the last episode. Was yum. Not sure I'll give liquorice a go but will be making mexican bean stew with the baked egg for brunch this weekend. Cant wait.

I put on so much weight during MCA 😫
  • RFSRFS Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    Just watching this back how irritating was George's "Hurry Up Hurry Up Hurry Up Hurry Up" when they were plating up. Reminds me of the MPW irritation.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    Blimey - just saw the trailer for tomorrow and googled Shannon Bennett for some reason (not sure why, just wondered stuff) and he's married to Dee from Neighbours! And they have 4 children with twins on the way. I don't know why I'm so surprised, but I am.

I didn't know that. Also didn't realise how young she was when she was on Neighbours! She was only 19 when she joined, and 22 when she left. :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What the hell is wrong with George this series???

Looks like the more he loses weight the more he becomes grumpy, angry, and even uglier!>:(

He's taking it too far seriously with his cliche & repetitive questioning.

I think he just doesn't gel with Matt & Gary anymore...he's very odd one out & maybe time to replace him.

I don't really like this new George at all.

I did think he was snappier than I've seen him with one of the contestants a couple of nights ago - forgotten her name - but then she was ignoring his advice to listen to advice from the peanut gallery, so it wasn't surprising. I do think he's taken the weight loss too far and it doesn't suit him, his head looks out of proportion to his body and his arms in short sleeves look worryingly skinny.

Perhaps he's hungry - always makes me a bit grumpy! I don't see any tension between the presenters though.

No mention of immunity pin challenges yet. If they've kept them I really hope it's not like last season's silly cooking against each other for them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    triton333 wrote: »
    The titles and house will come (if they still haven't yet).

The auditions and top 50 were quite truncated. The whole series was also a few weeks shorter than some past series. They would have been wary of how much they invested after last year's poor ratings performance, but since it did better this year I'm hoping next year's will be stretched out again. It was Ten's most popular show by far this year and in hindsight they might wish they'd got more out of it.

Episode lengths vary. Most are not 90 minutes. I just hope you are getting it all.

Good news that the ratings were up this time around and yes we've seen the titles and some of the house now - I just like the titles so I can learn names and we've seen some really nice moments from the house in previous years.

Starting to see a couple of legit contenders shining through and Deepali was certainly not one of them. She's not a loss to the competition.

How grumpy and tense is Jamie though? I know at the time of filming he was going through a really rough time but man so tense. Nick is going to collapse when he has to cook another protein and he doesn't have Deepali's lack of knowledge to fall back on to save him, bit like Jay in S3 - he nailed proteins but his pudding knowledge was so poor he had no chance long term.
  • mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have been so impressed with the calibre of contestants - after the shambles last year one might have thought that anyone who could cook wouldn't go within 100 miles of this year's series.

As someone else has noted - I was looking at that hopeless woman that won last year and thinking - you couldn't do half of the stuff these contestants are doing already. I am amazed they let her win when it seemed pretty obvious that all she really wanted was the money to set her chef husband up with a restaurant.
  • RFSRFS Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    Deepali never really got going although it made me chuckle - her accent in amongst a bunch of Aussies!!!

Nick next for sure and yay for the titles as I am still learning some of their names!!!
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just caught up on last night's episode. I'm so glad it's back to how it was with impressive cooking from the contestants. I gave up last year, but this year's contestants are amazing!

It was right that Deepali went but I'll miss her accent. Like others, I don't reckon Nick will last much longer.
  • patricia50patricia50 Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick can cook desserts but need to see him cooking proteins, something savoury. Enough with the puddings.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed, Nick is a one hit wonder and he'll be next out unless someone royally messes up!!
    Am glad we get the titles now. Just need to start making up names for them. I quite like Scott but I don't think he will go all the way sadly. That steak dish looked delish!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread is my happy place on DS!! So glad it's here!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So just how stupid was Nicole...?