Paul McGann

Steveaki13Steveaki13 Posts: 655
Forum Member
✭✭
I know this has been discussed before, but I was just reading the "Most shocking moments" thread and a lot of people mentioned the Eighth Doctor appearing in Night of the Doctor.

I was thinking that I would love to see Paul MgGann turn up and feature in an episode as a kind of "Two Doctors" story or something.

I feel as though he is the forgotten Doctor and it would be nice to learn more about him and link him to the series a bit more.

So what does anyone else think? Would you like to see that?

If so how would you go about it?

Comments

• LightMeUpLightMeUp Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love to see Paul McGann in it again. And not just as a webisode. He's so enthusiastic about Doctor Who - I feel like he'd jump at the chance.
    I've seen people say he's their favourite, and I do wonder if that's just because they feel bad for him as he's an unlikely choice, but given a chance he could have been really brilliant.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love to see it... The 8th is my favorite.

But, that said there are other places to see mcganns doctor.

Firstly there are his audio's some of which are played regualy on radio 4 extra. You can also see his shada webcast on the BBC website.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have always thought there was scope for a small series of say 3 TV films with McCann titled 'The 8th Doctor' outside of current series, But it would great to have him feature in a Two Doctor story arc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My 8th doctor wish list....

Let's see him fight the daleks
    Explain away the 'half human' thing
    See him fight a threat unique to him
    Tie his shada in to the 'main' continuity. (maybe a flashback with his doctor superimposed on old shada footage.)
  • DreamRJDreamRJ Posts: 3,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im a Doctor Who Fan too, and i don't think this will happen. It would be nice if Paul McCann did get a full length episode, or even a feature film again to justify and finally tie him into the main Doctors Timeline.

He did get that special episode he did though during the 50th anniversary specials which was kinda cool, but i really think he does deserve more, but the writers and producers i just don't think want to do it, even though the fans would like it, and also - its down to age, its very hard to make new episodes now because of real life ageing, and this is probably the main reason for it, i mean yes there is ways to make people look younger with cgi and computers, but the BBC budget just wouldn't support that, because the budget isn't exactly big is it.
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to see him as the 13th doctor when capaldi packs it in.
  • jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After watching Night Of The Doctor, I'd be happy to see him again. But preferably with that dark vibe.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to see him as the 13th doctor when capaldi packs it in.

Seriously, he was the 8th doctor, he can not be the 13th doctor, and Capaldi is actually in essence doctor number 1, because he just got a new 13 regenerations in that x-mas special last year.

Matt Smith was in essence doctor number 13, Timelords get 13 regenerations. (this is basic doctor who fan knowledge)

Do people not know the history of doctor who and post comments that just dont make any sense?
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DreamRJ wrote: »
    Im a Doctor Who Fan too, and i don't think this will happen. It would be nice if Paul McCann did get a full length episode, or even a feature film again to justify and finally tie him into the main Doctors Timeline.

He did get that special episode he did though during the 50th anniversary specials which was kinda cool, but i really think he does deserve more, but the writers and producers i just don't think want to do it, even though the fans would like it, and also - its down to age, its very hard to make new episodes now because of real life ageing, and this is probably the main reason for it, i mean yes there is ways to make people look younger with cgi and computers, but the BBC budget just wouldn't support that, because the budget isn't exactly big is it.

Talking about money, the BBC do supplement Doctor Who income with cinema ticket sales now, so money for CGI isn't beyond possibility.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd pay money to see a full length episode or two with McGann in it (which isn't the 1996 Movie)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seriously, he was the 8th doctor, he can not be the 13th doctor, and Capaldi is actually in essence doctor number 1, because he just got a new 13 regenerations in that x-mas special last year.

Matt Smith was in essence doctor number 13, Timelords get 13 regenerations. (this is basic doctor who fan knowledge)

Do people not know the history of doctor who and post comments that just dont make any sense?

It was said in the 50th anniversary special that he may find himself visiting old faces, which was kind of used to justify Tom Baker's appearance I believe. So Paul McGann being the Doctor after Capaldi isn't beyond possibility!
  • Xmas_TrenzaloreXmas_Trenzalore Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My 8th doctor wish list....

Let's see him fight the daleks
    Explain away the 'half human' thing
    See him fight a threat unique to him
    Tie his shada in to the 'main' continuity. (maybe a flashback with his doctor superimposed on old shada footage.)
    If they were to canonize his Shada, I'd prefer it to be an off hand line like - "Oh Timelords had prisons. As a matter of fact I visited Shada myself in my fourth incarnation... or possible my Eighth, one or the other."

I think he meant Capaldi could regenerate into an old self, kind of like it was suggested the Curator was a future incarnation with the Fourth Doctor's face.

Not my preference. I'd prefer a guest appearance in an episode, be it a two Doctors, or maybe an anthology episode where multiple Doctors deal with a rucurring threat all along his life.
  • Steveaki13Steveaki13 Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think him being to old is an issue. Remember he started his reign as number 8 looking like he did in 1996, but ended his time looking as he does now.

If he was used soon, he could be seen as before his regen into the WD.

Being to old is not an issue as we did not see his regeneration 10 years ago when Doctor 9 appeared. (At the time we assume it went 8 to 9, instead of 8, WD to 9)
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They actually get 12 Regenerations in a cycle giving them 13 Incarnations.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    They could easily brig back Paul McGann for another adventure with the Current Doctor. The BBC would be stupid not to after the reaction he got in "The Night if The Doctor" thing.
  • vampirekvampirek Posts: 4,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Actually there are 12 regenerations in a cycle.

In essence MS' Doctor was the 12th Doctor (with the name when alive) but the 13th life.

Anyone who knows the history of Doctor Who would know its 11 faces, 12 Doctors, 13 lives prior to Peter Capaldi's Doctor (for which it is now 12 faces, 13 Doctors and 14 lives)

You should take notice of your own comments before commenting, furthermore, there is nothing stopping the Doctor regenerating into a former face. There is no canon stating it is not possible but there is canon for him to choose (should he ever learn to) or the hint by the Curator.

As for McCann himself, I would prefer it in a one-off special when they do revisit the events of the Time War, its bound to happen considering the new Doctor was present when all the Doctors hid Gallifrey. Its a story incomplete and they could use stories from the 8th and War versions to link it all together.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mistake about typing 13 instead of 12, but the reason i did say matt smith was in essence the 13th doctor was becuase he basically used 2 regenerations, and that was why i said *in essence*

@lotrjw - Yes i know they have income from selling cinema tickets, but im sure the team that work on doctor who would like to use that money to make the episodes more better, than just spend it all on 1 feature or a one of special for Paul McGann, and also i make a lot of typos, i also misspelled Paul McGann name too.

Sorry all for the typos in my post, i don't usually check when i post sometimes before i press the post button :P
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    They keep talking about Series 9 reverting to 13 episodes again, and if so I imagine a Doctor-lite episode could be on the cards. I would love an episode that predominantly features Eight and one of his companions, perhaps crossing with Twelve and his companion at a few points through the episode too.

I don't think I'd opt for a full on 'Two Doctors' story as it would't give enough time to McGann, and it has kind of already been done. But an episode about him, with Capaldi on the sidelines would be brilliant. :)
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theres no reason why capaldi could not regenerate to nto mcgann again. No reason at all. Also capaldi is the 12th doctor.
  • DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theres no reason why capaldi could not regenerate to nto mcgann again.
    No reason at all. Also capaldi is the 12th doctor.
    Except the fact that it would be a regression, not a regeneration, if he became his 8th incarnation again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what if clara ran into the wrong tardis?......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mistake about typing 13 instead of 12, but the reason i did say matt smith was in essence the 13th doctor was becuase he basically used 2 regenerations, and that was why i said *in essence*

@lotrjw - Yes i know they have income from selling cinema tickets, but im sure the team that work on doctor who would like to use that money to make the episodes more better, than just spend it all on 1 feature or a one of special for Paul McGann, and also i make a lot of typos, i also misspelled Paul McGann name too.

Sorry all for the typos in my post, i don't usually check when i post sometimes before i press the post button :P

Well as the cinema idea has worked well they could expand that to all specials and say series finals and if they did do Paul McGann specials they could have cinema screenings too! That would help finance both improvements in the episodes and having Paul McGann specials.
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    Whilst I did quite enjoy the idea of the 'War Doctor', I still would have preferred if it had been the 8th Doctor in 'The Day of the Doctor' instead. I'm not sure why they don't do more with Paul McGann. He's an amazing actor and is still pretty easy on the eye.

But I think they need to let Peter Capaldi settle into the role before they start getting other Doctors to guest star. In retrospect, it seems very strange that the 2nd Doctor and Jamie guest starred in Colin Baker's first season of Doctor Who.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    It'd be nice if he came back for a multi Doctor story, but you feel that if Moffat was going to use him, he would have done in Day of the Doctor. I think that The Night of the Doctor webisode could have quite easily been tagged on at the beginning of that anyway. Not sure why they didn't.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It'd be nice if he came back for a multi Doctor story, but you feel that if Moffat was going to use him, he would have done in Day of the Doctor. I think that The Night of the Doctor webisode could have quite easily been tagged on at the beginning of that anyway. Not sure why they didn't.
    I can't see how The Night of the Doctor could have been added to The Day of the Doctor. Aside from the narrative problem of having two opening sequences, the minisode was a separate production shot by a different director. There would be all sorts of contractual problems with just adding 6 minutes of material made with a different director and cast to the anniversary special.