Struggling to understand Capaldi

GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Am I the only person who is still struggling to understand anything that Peter Capaldi says?

I do understand some of what he says, but I estimate only around 40%.
I am finding it very hard to enjoy any episode with him as the doctor now.
The background music doesn't help either.
It is so difficult for me to follow the plot.

I normally have no problems understanding Scottish accents, but I do struggle with his.
Perhaps it is made worse by the fact he has a soft voice????

Comments

• claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the sound on the episodes is noticeably quiet overall. I have to double the volume on my TV to hear it in comparison to every other program. I suspect it's been optimised for particular types of sound set ups and where I'm just watching it on a TV with built in speakers that's not what it's suited for.

Interestingly, if you watch it via the iPlayer the sound is an awful lot better.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Never had a problem at all
  • Old Man 43Old Man 43 Posts: 6,214
    Forum Member
    claire2281 wrote: »
    I think the sound on the episodes is noticeably quiet overall. I have to double the volume on my TV to hear it in comparison to every other program. I suspect it's been optimised for particular types of sound set ups and where I'm just watching it on a TV with built in speakers that's not what it's suited for.

Interestingly, if you watch it via the iPlayer the sound is an awful lot better.

Yes you are right. That is interesting.
  • MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    You can make life easier by turning the sound off completely - just assume that the Doctor's saying "shut up" every time he opens his mouth and Clara is saying "Oops" in a chirpy Northern accent - then have Danny whining and spouting some passive aggressive drivel to bully Clara into telling him everything she does and you've pretty much got the entire script.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    I have never struggled to understand peter, I think his performance is amazing

Anyway that's my 2 cents worth
  • GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can make life easier by turning the sound off completely - just assume that the Doctor's saying "shut up" every time he opens his mouth and Clara is saying "Oops" in a chirpy Northern accent - then have Danny whining and spouting some passive aggressive drivel to bully Clara into telling him everything she does and you've pretty much got the entire script.

I am not missing much then! :)

I will try iplayer to see if the sound is better, but I do think the BBC should do something about it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never struggled to understand peter, I think his performance is amazing

Anyway that's my 2 cents worth

I am not criticising his performance, it is his speech that I am having problems with.
    Forum Member
    I am not missing much then! :)

I will try iplayer to see if the sound is better, but I do think the BBC should do something about it.

This year's dialogue has been replaced by face pulling, staring at the top-left corner of the screen and pointing at things off-camera. There's very little being said beyond catch-phrases and whining.

(Best tip if you really are struggling is to use the subtitles to "supplement" what you hear - I used to have to do that with Southpark until I got used to the voices and accents)
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    i can understand him perfectly
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Didn't enjoy it then? ;-)

This Doctor is very fond of telling people to shut up, true. But if Clara's ever said "Oops" I'll send you a metaphorical tenner.

I can understand Peter C fine, personally. Could be the sound mix. There's a scene in The Power of Three where Amy takes a phone call and chats away before the Doctor turns up with a big bunch of flowers and to this day I have absolutely no idea what she says!
  • SuzeSuze Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have no problem understanding him. I love the accent!
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The dialogue is sparkling this series and its delivered equally well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps if they lowered the volume of the music, I might cope better.
    Forum Member
    Didn't enjoy it then? ;-)

Didn't enjoy it at all.

Absolutely no story worth mentioning - the whole thing was a set-up for Danny to jump the robot (amazingly appropriate given the meaning of "Jump the Shark")
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    If I watch on my laptop using headphones I find the sound is a lot clearer than if I watch on TV via the surround sound speakers.
  • BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Subtitles are your friend :) I only need them when my hearing is playing up then everything has subtitles :D

I do find with Dr Who I always have to have the volume up higher than other shows but that has been the case for years. lf I watch it online I don't have a problem.

Also, check your TV volume setting. Ours is always on clear voice (or whatever it's called) instead of all the movie style settings.
  • LightMeUpLightMeUp Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm useless with the Scottish accent and I can understand him fine. There's no slurring or anything like that. What he's saying is so worth hearing, bit of a shame people are struggling. Though I think some people are just spoiling for something to complain about.
  • owlycherriesowlycherries Posts: 2,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I struggle too, but oh well.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never had a problem understanding him - though the dialogue is generally a bit quicker than it has been over the past couple of series.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This year's dialogue has been replaced by face pulling, staring at the top-left corner of the screen and pointing at things off-camera. There's very little being said beyond catch-phrases and whining.
    You must be watching a different programme to me then. In fact, very different from a lot of people who have commented upon some of the sharp dialogue and lines.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    You must be watching a different programme to me then. In fact, very different from a lot of people who have commented upon some of the sharp dialogue and lines.

Also I don't see all the catchphrases. At all. While its still zippy and stylised the dialogue is relatively alot mote naturalistic and has a ring of truth about it that some of the last two seasons certainly haven't. Eleven and River barely had one scene together that wasn't blighted byself aware sitcom banter. Its improved vastly this year.
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually think the modern set up of speakers actually makes it harder to understand dialogue as music and secondary sounds get enhanced - especially if not set up correctly.

I have always just used the tv speakers and have never had a problem with dialogue. Even with the programmes people have been complaining about.

When the new-fangled stuff works against you.
  • nattoyakinattoyaki Posts: 7,080
    Forum Member
    claire2281 wrote: »

I've had problems with the sound in general for years, but something's even worse this series, I don't know if they've tweaked the sound to make it even worse or if it's Peter's speech (not necessarily his accent, could be how deep his voice is etc).

Anyway after thinking episode 2 was terrible on first watch because I didn't fully catch most of the dialogue, I've watched on iplayer ever since and think it's the best series so far since 5.

My Dad's been watching on TV and I think is about ready to quit completely as he says he can't understand any of the episodes anymore and so can't really enjoy them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »
    I actually think the modern set up of speakers actually makes it harder to understand dialogue as music and secondary sounds get enhanced - especially if not set up correctly.

I have always just used the tv speakers and have never had a problem with dialogue. Even with the programmes people have been complaining about.

When the new-fangled stuff works against you.

I am not using any new fangled stuff, just the television speaker.
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,683
    Forum Member
    It's because he's Scotch.

All that bagpipe playing has probably ruined his vocal chords and on top of this he's probably off his face on whiskey and haggis too much to bother enunciating his lines properly, like a proper English Doctor would do with his oh i say chippiness and received pronunciation

And I bet he takes heroin.
    And likes everything fried.
    Including the haggis, whiskey and heroin.

Damn scotch trying to ruin our fine English traditions by taking them down from within.
    It worked for McCoy who decided to act so terribly he got the series cancelled...mission accomplished.
    Now Capaldi's dastardly plan is to be so incomprehensible as to cause the end of the series via people switching off in confusion.
    The Rab C Nesbitt effect.