Options

Connecting S-video / Component to RGB Scart

JaystarJaystar Posts: 4,854
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi, I'm an AV noob and would like to avail myself of the expert advice in this forum, if I may.

I've done a whole load of background reading and I think that I have finally got my head round the whole SVHS versus S-Video and Component versus Composite thing, but despite this my head is still hurting from trying to figure out how to connect up some devices I have at home.

I have a Tvix Media Player that has composite, component and S-video outputs, and one of the TVs that it will sometimes be connected to is a Philips 21" CRT that has only a single Scart socket. The TV has no dedicated S-video side input and, as far as I can tell from the specs, it does not accept S-video over Scart either. It seems as if the TV can only accept RGB or CVBS (which I am assuming is the posh name for composite).

I'm wondering what the best way is to get the highest quality signal from the Tvix to the TV?

I soon realised that a component to Scart lead was not going to work because of some sync thingy not being on the correct colour wotsit (excuse my technical jargon) :o but I'm guessing that just as much of a problem is the fact that there is no Y-Pr-Pb to RGB conversion being done.

That being the case, does that mean that the same problem will exist if I tried to use an S-video to Scart lead (i.e. would it still not work because the philips TV can't take S-video and the lead is not doing Y/C to RGB conversion?)

If so, then I guess I am looking at a dedicated conversion device and I have a choice of starting with S-video or Component at the source and ending with RGB or Composite in the TV.

As RGB and component are the higher quality options should I just be looking to get a component to RGB converter, or is it still worth considering an S-video to RGB converter?

I have bought a Scart switcher so that I can also hook up the RGB out of my DVD player and RGB out of my (soon to be purchased) FTA Sat receiver box and I'm hoping that the device will be able to accept the Scart output of the conversion device without degrading it. The manual does say that all the Scarts on the device are RGB and S-video capable.

Any advice on the best course of action to take would be much appreciated (as would specific hardware recommendations for good converters suited to the above task).

Cheers

Edit: Is this device any good?

Comments

• Options
    MacBurpMacBurp Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    how old is your TV? Before doing anything, check that the TV can take an RGB source - some don't, despite what the specs might say.....

I've had similar problems with a 10 year old 17" CRT - to cut a long story short, I ended up downgrading to composite rather than invest a lot of money in a converter. If you only intend to use this TV occasionally, is the investment in that Keene box (good kit, but very expensive) really worth the money?

regards,
    Paul
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Paul. You raise a good point and the whole excercise would be pointless if the Philips 21" TV can only handle composite over Scart.

I'd be prepared to make the investement in the Keene transcoder if the TV will actually make use of that quality of signal. I use the Tvix box on that TV (in the bedroom) about 50% of the time and the rest of the time it's used on the 32" CRT in sitting room.

How would I know for sure that the 21" TV does handle RGB if I can't rely on what the specs say? :confused:

The TV is brand new (a week old) but don't know how long that particular model has been out for.

P.S. You lucky thing having a 17" CRT. I have wanted one of those for ages, but have never been able to find one. I was starting to think that they were a myth. Had to shoe-horn a 21" into the bedroom instead. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    MacBurpMacBurp Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    Jaystar wrote:
    Thanks Paul. You raise a good point and the whole excercise would be pointless if the Philips 21" TV can only handle composite over Scart.

I'd be prepared to make the investement in the Keene transcoder if the TV will actually make use of that quality of signal. I use the Tvix box on that TV (in the bedroom) about 50% of the time and the rest of the time it's used on the 32" CRT in sitting room.

How would I know for sure that the 21" TV does handle RGB if I can't rely on what the specs say? :confused:

The TV is brand new (a week old) but don't know how long that particular model has been out for.

If the TV is relatively new, you're probably safe to trust the specs. If you have Sky or a freeview box, these normally give out an RBG picture - you could test it with that.
    Jaystar wrote:
    P.S. You lucky thing having a 17" CRT. I have wanted one of those for ages, but have never been able to find one. I was starting to think that they were a myth. Had to shoe-horn a 21" into the bedroom instead. :rolleyes:

Yeah, but its old! Doesn't do RGB properly (I get a rolling screen when the picture has a white background) and only has one Scart.

Maybe you can buy it off me when I finally get ot upgrade ot that 30" LCD I really want http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=6423741#
    Smilie

regards,
    Paul
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MacBurp wrote:
    If the TV is relatively new, you're probably safe to trust the specs. If you have Sky or a freeview box, these normally give out an RBG picture - you could test it with that.
    I don't have a Freeview box (DTT is not available at all in my area). Also don't have a Sky Digibox (I refuse to have anything to do with Sky).

Guess I'll have to hold off buying a converter until I've got my FTA sat box (which will have an RGB out) so I can test the TV.

1. What happens on the TV if you send it RGB but the TV is only accepts composite? Will it be immediately obvious whether the TV Scart socket is RGB enabled or not? (i.e. will it just not work at all, or is it a case of trying to detect a quality difference?).

2. Assuming the TV does take RGB, is the Keene transcoder device worth the money? For that amount I assume the the quality should be pretty good, but I don't know anything about this particular brand.

3. Are there different ways that a component (RCA) to Scart (RGB) lead can be wired up? The Tvix only has RCA connectors for its component output, but I don't have a clue if there are different methods of carrying the various elements of the component signal down a scart wire.

Ta