Options

If someone bought you a 'self help' book ....

ebjeebeebjeebe Posts: 7,810
Forum Member
...would you be offended? It is an emotional self help book, especially bought for me. They may as well have given me a 'how to lose weight' book for how fabulous it made me feel.

I found it incredibly patronising and upsetting as I feel I'm in the best 'place' I've ever been and if I need self help, I'll get it myself.

Comments

• Options
    rj00rj00 Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    Ooh, a bit of a sticky one to comment on!

I'm not really sure what to say but maybe the person that gave the book was just trying to help in the nicest way possible. ?

I wouldn't get too "ate up" about it, aslong as you are happy with yourself then there is no need to worry at all.

It really depends on who gave you the book, was it a colse friend who thinks your maybe having a few problems or someone just having a mess about?
  • Options
    caraxcarax Posts: 3,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would depend on who bought me it and what the circumstances were. If it was a close friend and they'd read the book and loved it I would take the gesture as I would them buying me any other book. I'd keep an open mind and happily read it to see if I could get anything out of it.

If this didn't apply I'd ask them why they thought I needed it. Sometimes I think I'm coping okay and it's taken OHs or close friends or colleagues to say that actually, I'm not my normal self at all, but am stressed/snappish/whatever.

If I really were in a good place though, I don't think I'd feel upset and patronised as you have. No offence, but maybe in this instance your friend knows you better than you do yourself and is trying to help?
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ebjeebe wrote: »
    ...would you be offended? It is an emotional self help book, especially bought for me. They may as well have given me a 'how to lose weight' book for how fabulous it made me feel.

I found it incredibly patronising and upsetting as I feel I'm in the best 'place' I've ever been and if I need self help, I'll get it myself.

We need more info such as who bought it for you and the nature of how you know them.

If you really 100% believe you don't need help with anything and they've got the total wrong end of the stick, then tell them. But don't fall into the trap of getting offended and upset just because someone may have touched a nerve. I'm not saying they have.. but if you get upset, maybe ask yourself "Hmm, why am I upset". If it's because they really are wrong, then tell them. If it's because you don't like the truth, then perhaps have a read. :)
  • Options
    dominodomino Posts: 1,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are people in this world who define themselves as great helpers - hiding their own insecurities through providing too much advise to anyone and everyone who will listen. If someone gave me a self-help book at a time when I felt great I'd immediately put them into this category and start worrying about them. Once, someone I knew started offering me all sorts of help and insights about myself, claiming that I was in denial, upset, and so on and so on. I was having a great time - thoroughly enjoying life. Turned out that this person was clinically depressed at the time and ended up on some serious medication. So offering you a self-help book might be a cry for help, a way for them to start some dialogue on a subject that is important to themselves.
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it would depend on the circumstances surrounding the book giving.

Was it a close friend, who, while realising it might hurt is actually trying to help you with a problem? Tough love and all that but sometimes your best friends are the ones that will tell you how it is straight.

Was it just someone that read a book and thought it was good so thought they would share.

Or some other reason?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I didn't state who gave it to me originally as I didn't want to cloud the answers but basically, it was my Mum.

The feelings of being patronised comes from other instances of being 'told what to do' at 30 years of age - which is why it probably doesn't tally.

My Mum has read the book and currently going through therapy. What gets me is she is one of the most highly strung, 'half empty' people I've ever met and I've spent my life battling against 'I wouldn't do this/I wouldn't do that you may fail' and then, after a bit of therapy and a few books, she's (yet again) telling me what to do and how to behave.

Becomes more complicated now I've ellaborated.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks everyone for answering. I never imagined I would get so many replies :)
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A mate of mine's OH (who I always thought was completely pretentious), bought me a "positive thinking can change your life" type book. It's complete drivel.

I think she thought I was negative when I told her what she could do with it...

Incidentally, I've still got the book. Haven't much of read it and I still haven't become a multi millionaire, so maybe she was right to buy me it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    It depends. If it were a book about how to lose weight, I would be incredibly offended and would probably throw the book straight back at them! But if it was a book on something silly like "How to relax", I wouldn't be bothered in the slightest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    iHelix wrote: »
    It depends. If it were a book about how to lose weight, I would be incredibly offended and would probably throw the book straight back at them! But if it was a book on something silly like "How to relax", I wouldn't be bothered in the slightest.

No it was more to do with changing your life, becoming a better person etc. Oh, but she hasn't held back in the past about telling me to lose weight though :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ebjeebe wrote: »
    I didn't state who gave it to me originally as I didn't want to cloud the answers but basically, it was my Mum.

The feelings of being patronised comes from other instances of being 'told what to do' at 30 years of age - which is why it probably doesn't tally.

My Mum has read the book and currently going through therapy. What gets me is she is one of the most highly strung, 'half empty' people I've ever met and I've spent my life battling against 'I wouldn't do this/I wouldn't do that you may fail' and then, after a bit of therapy and a few books, she's (yet again) telling me what to do and how to behave.

Becomes more complicated now I've ellaborated.

Perhaps she feels guilty at how her problems may have affected you and is trying to be positive towards you. Whatever way, it's clear her problems have left you feeling got-at and you have to react as you can. Parents can have such a negative effect on their children as I well know from personal experience. It lasts your whole life whatever you try to escape it. Best wishes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chopin wrote: »
    Perhaps she feels guilty at how her problems may have affected you and is trying to be positive towards you. Whatever way, it's clear her problems have left you feeling got-at and you have to react as you can. Parents can have such a negative effect on their children as I well know from personal experience. It lasts your whole life whatever you try to escape it. Best wishes.

Oh how true that is. Best wishes to you too :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QFT! The quote in the post above came from a true wordsmith with a very firm grasp on reality. Much respect and best wishes to you both. :)
  • Options
    ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    Well i would be mighty pissed if someone gave me that type of book, because I loath them. Who do some people think they are?
  • Options
    CabbagesAhoy!CabbagesAhoy! Posts: 1,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chopin wrote: »
    . Parents can have such a negative effect on their children as I well know from personal experience. It lasts your whole life whatever you try to escape it. Best wishes.

I disagree!

Don't get me wrong - the really wicked parents DO leave their children (the Wests for example) with a life long legacy that's impossible to escape from.

If however it's a case of being from a family where the glass was half empty you can move on from that.
    This sounds like a ludicrous thing to say but it's about not taking it personally. Your parents were that way because they didn't know any better. If you DO know better you can change it.

Anyway OP - Again see this as about your mum just being 'her' and don't take it personally. You could be prime minister, with 10 million in the bank and be deliriously happy in your private life and I think she would STILL give this book to you.

You know you're doing well - that's all that counts.