Options

Stupid games you played as a child.

13»

Comments

• Options
    doughnut8doughnut8 Posts: 2,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still play stupid games now much to my partners dismay. My current favourite is called rude cat restaurant which involves setting up cat treats on small dolls tables and an irrate French hand puppet waiter who does not take kindly to rudely mannered cat diners wreaking havoc in his posh French bistro restaurant . God it makes me laugh!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    davies435 wrote: »
    When I was about eight (I think) they decided to replace the iron school railings (It was an old Victorian Building) with some new fangled galvanised ones. The cut down sections of the fence were basically stacked against the wall and resembled a row of spears in a "spear-rack" (If such a thing actually exists). We managed to loosen a few "spears" and ran away - pleased as anything as were were now fully armed and could think up something to do with them. We started throwing them at trees to see if we could get them to stick in, but due to thier seriously heavy weight they'd always droop and fall out again. In the end I came up with a cunning plan "fool-proof" in fact. We'd stand in a large circle with our legs apart and throw the spear so that it stuck into the earth as close as possible to either foot of your "partner". Alex threw his at me and it went straight through my wellie, the point went inbetween my big toe and first toe, dislocating both in the process, it came out of the bottom of my boot and stuck into the ground a good foot foot and a half, pinning me to the floor effectively. Feeling the pain and fearing the worst, I screamed like a girl, fell backwars and waited for life to ebb away from me. Melodrama set in and as all the lads started to panic about parents "going to kill us" I told them to "save themselves" and go .....I'll say I did it to myself!
    (I'd watched too many war-films and it seemed the right thing to do!)
    Being true childhood friends, they bloody well did just that, leaving me sobbing away on some waste ground.
    A passing adult spotted a child laying on this area with (from his angle from the road) a large metal pipe through his chest, promptly called the police, fire-service and ambulace. H estarted to walk over to me BUT FAINTED, and minutes later the emergency services arrived. Dad was on duty that day (fireman) and was one of the group who walked over to me. They cut the spike off just above the boot and lifted the rest (with my foot) from the ground, put me in the ambulance and off to the hospital. After an x-ray they cut the boot off and the Dr suddenly whipped the railing spike from between my toes (worst pain of my life until).............in advance of re-locating my toes. They gave me pain killers but didn't do much!
    Verdict: It was a good game - right up to my "winning" it!
    I didn't dob my mates in, but didn't tell anybody that it didn't go though my foot either! I was officially HARD for a long time after that in school!

After a pretty bad day, that made me laugh so much, so cheers for posting that it made my night :D:D
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Turquoise wrote: »

"Hide from Mum and Dad"- Run around B&Q/Homebase/any other DIY shop trying to avoid being spotted by Mum and Dad- mainly because they knew we were playing silly buggers in a shop and would not be amused when they caught us. We usually had a 'base' in the form of a show conservatory, gap between shelves, shed or pile of storage.

We also used to pull all the cushions off the sofas and pretend they were islands or build houses with them. That didn't have a name.

B&Q was one my favourite places to play! Messing about in the kitchen and bathroom displays. We also played 'Islands' with sofa cushions! Ah memories...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    Beat the letter was probably the most violent game we played, one person was 'on' and everyone else chose a letter, the 'on' person then had to chase everyone else around and beat them up untill the they told him their letter, once you gave away your letter you were also 'on' and every game ended up with 4 or 5 kids beating the piss out of the last one remaining.

Good times.

lol. we used to play that too!!

but we got bored quite fast and just ended up beating each other up.
  • Options
    EmilyPEmilyP Posts: 583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was about eight (I think) they decided to replace the iron school railings (It was an old Victorian Building) with some new fangled galvanised ones. The cut down sections of the fence were basically stacked against the wall and resembled a row of spears in a "spear-rack" (If such a thing actually exists). We managed to loosen a few "spears" and ran away - pleased as anything as were were now fully armed and could think up something to do with them. We started throwing them at trees to see if we could get them to stick in, but due to thier seriously heavy weight they'd always droop and fall out again. In the end I came up with a cunning plan "fool-proof" in fact. We'd stand in a large circle with our legs apart and throw the spear so that it stuck into the earth as close as possible to either foot of your "partner". Alex threw his at me and it went straight through my wellie, the point went inbetween my big toe and first toe, dislocating both in the process, it came out of the bottom of my boot and stuck into the ground a good foot foot and a half, pinning me to the floor effectively. Feeling the pain and fearing the worst, I screamed like a girl, fell backwars and waited for life to ebb away from me. Melodrama set in and as all the lads started to panic about parents "going to kill us" I told them to "save themselves" and go .....I'll say I did it to myself!
    (I'd watched too many war-films and it seemed the right thing to do!)
    Being true childhood friends, they bloody well did just that, leaving me sobbing away on some waste ground.
    A passing adult spotted a child laying on this area with (from his angle from the road) a large metal pipe through his chest, promptly called the police, fire-service and ambulace. H estarted to walk over to me BUT FAINTED, and minutes later the emergency services arrived. Dad was on duty that day (fireman) and was one of the group who walked over to me. They cut the spike off just above the boot and lifted the rest (with my foot) from the ground, put me in the ambulance and off to the hospital. After an x-ray they cut the boot off and the Dr suddenly whipped the railing spike from between my toes (worst pain of my life until).............in advance of re-locating my toes. They gave me pain killers but didn't do much!
    Verdict: It was a good game - right up to my "winning" it!
    I didn't dob my mates in, but didn't tell anybody that it didn't go though my foot either! I was officially HARD for a long time after that in school!

I laughed all the way through that post :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We used to roll down the roundabout near where I lived (it was quite a hill) - how we avoided rolling into the road sometimes is beyond me! It was a very busy A road too...
  • Options
    adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was about eight (I think) they decided to replace the iron school railings

<snip>

That's hilarious.

And reminded of a similar game I played where I'd have to stand still and someone would throw a kife at the floor as close to my bare feet as possible without actually implaling me.

I'm not sure how the game would have finished as it came to an abrupt end when the knife broke.

That was last summer though when I was 33 and my boyfriend was 35!!
  • Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We played many stupid games when we were younger. I've played most of the above but would like to add conkers to that list. I broke my knuckle playing conkers. (aren't they banned from school now).

We also used to build outrageously steep ramps for bikes and skateboards. Broken limbs ensued.

Also, we made very dangerous rope swings over streams, etc. Guess what, another broken arm. We also used to try to jump the stream at various points. Some of the jumps were beyond human abilities but we still tried.

If we gound a discarded car tyre that was an invitation to put someone inside it and roll them down steep hills, steps, etc.

Plus many more, I don't know how i'm still alive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Who remembers Kiss Cuddle and Torture? great game!
  • Options
    Bom Diddly WoBom Diddly Wo Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One game (if you could call it that) we would play was to wait until a car was comming down the street. One of us would walk backwards across the road pretending to unravel a peice of string or wire. Another kid would pretend to hold the other end. Then we would just wait while the car stopped until they realised there was nothing there.
    Ahh happy days. It might not sound like much but it kept us entertained and the materials were cheap.
    Some drivers would get really cross. Over nothing. Literaly. I did it a few years ago and it still works. Not so much on the motorway though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cajsoft wrote: »

Not when your dodgy "uncle" makes you play it.
  • Options
    ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member

doesnt really work in an all boys school... :s
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not when your dodgy "uncle" makes you play it.

I didnt have one of them.. feel free not to enlighten us.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    We used to play "Knifey".

Two players faced each other about a yard apart with their legs spread out. In turn they would throw a knife into the ground between the feet of the other, who would then move a foot to where the knife landed. The space would get increasingly smaller, and the loser was the first to chicken out.

Everyone used to carry a knife in those days, for making rope swings, cutting wood etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didnt have one of them.. feel free not to enlighten us.

You started it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,284
    Forum Member
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    B&Q was one my favourite places to play! Messing about in the kitchen and bathroom displays. We also played 'Islands' with sofa cushions! Ah memories...

Yep. It gets a bit embarrassing when you're on here reading those 'we hate kids' type threads, where everyone's complaining about bratty kids running riot in shops, and I'm keeping quiet, trying not to say anything because I know full well I was one of those kids...:o:p
  • Options
    ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    Turquoise wrote: »
    Yep. It gets a bit embarrassing when you're on here reading those 'we hate kids' type threads, where everyone's complaining about bratty kids running riot in shops, and I'm keeping quiet, trying not to say anything because I know full well I was one of those kids...:o:p

I think most kids were to be honest - some people forget this when they are adults.
  • Options
    piperpiper Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rudester wrote: »
    We used to play "Knifey".

Two players faced each other about a yard apart with their legs spread out. In turn they would throw a knife into the ground between the feet of the other, who would then move a foot to where the knife landed. The space would get increasingly smaller, and the loser was the first to chicken out.

Everyone used to carry a knife in those days, for making rope swings, cutting wood etc.

I remember that, it used to consist of one throw and then we would go play football.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nick knock nanny, 40/40,:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    we used to play in a park next to a railway line and played a made up game called 'off ground touch'
    every time a train came along you had to get of the ground, the last person of the ground had to catch the others when the train had passed

kept us quite busy during peak hours! lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Granda was a mechanic and me and my cousins/brothers played a game we called 'Granda'. You could be either one of my aunties or my Granda. Whoever was an aunty would get in a toy car, drive down my driveway (it was a big hill) and crash into a hedge. You would then pretend to phone Granda who would come and fix your car. This just kept repeating itself over and over again.

We played a game called Daddy Fat where one person had to hide a stuffed toy called Daddy Fat (it was actually Sebastian the cat from the Loony Toons) and the others had to find it.

A game called sheeshcabob. One person was a fairy who held up a flower shaped cushion. The others were sheeshcabobs who couldn't get up off their knees and had to grab the flower. This game was easily adapted for the trampoline.

The normal ones like tip the can, chaseys, hide and seek etc.