Options

Ricky Gervais caught in lie about Golden Globes return

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    ETA; And by the way...The Office is better than Spinal Tap. Why on earth would you think it impossible for someone to have said that to him?

Well, hang on a minute. I love The Office, but let's not go that far. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smiirky wrote: »
    I'd love him to host it again to make the yanks squirm. :D

me too, the Americans have such inflated opinions of themselves it was superb to see them hear some home truths for once..... not giving him the job just shows that they don't like it up them mr mannering
  • Options
    alisonrose3764alisonrose3764 Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blowup wrote: »
    I fancy him a bit.

More than a bit as far as I am concerned - def would several times over!
  • Options
    Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched some of the SAG's the other night and good God was it tedious!
    Gervais brought something to the GG's that made the whole back slapping arse kissing fandango bearable tv.
  • Options
    blowupblowup Posts: 1,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More than a bit as far as I am concerned - def would several times over!

Yeah OK, me too. And Karl.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rowey wrote: »
    What nonsense he doesn't need to put word out about the popularity. The Viewing figures for the Golden Globes have sky rocketed since Gervais started hosting them.

You've missed my point. Gervais pretended that the organisers of the Globes were more enthusiastic than they were, by pretending they'd invited him back when they hadn't. Viewing figures are nothing to do with it, but even if you allow that argument, the fact many people watched doesn't mean many people liked. A good many people I know cringed as Gervais embarrassed himself time after time.
    NBC have asked Ricky to do a 3rd Golden Globes as they know he brings in the viewers.

So he says (now he realises he's been caught out); NBC themselves haven't confirmed or denied.
    NBC have a huge influence on who hosts the golden globes.

No they don't.
    Ricky is not Lying about being asked to do them again.

Yes he is. He said the organisers asked him. They've confirmed they didn't. It doesn't get much simpler than that.
    If Ricky turns down doing the golden globes next year they will fade away and go back to being the boring awards that no one watches.

Irrelevant to my point, but... plenty of people watched the Globes before Gervais waddled along to host them, and they will continue to watch now he's gone. All he brought were a bunch of clumsy, badly delivered lines that no-one knew he'd say before he said them (so he can hardly be credited with bringing in viewers) and a bunch of fanboys who can't accept any criticism of him whatsoever.
  • Options
    The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    So basically it's all about your own personal dislike of him with no real basis in fact? And now you're getting touchy because people can see through your thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So basically it's all about your own personal dislike of him with no real basis in fact? And now you're getting touchy because people can see through your thread.

See above. None of what you've said is true.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah I did see above, like how he "waddled along", his "clumsy, badly delivered lines" and the rubbish about the "bunch of fanboys". You've got a grudge, plain and simple, and you jumped on a non-story and have made a bit of an arse of the whole thing now it's clear he hasn't "lied" at all.
  • Options
    avidreaderavidreader Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    See above. None of what you've said is true.

You said that a statement had been issued stating that Ricky had been dishonest. But I've seen no evidence of any statement to that effect.

You obviously don't like him, and that's fine. But it does seem like you are trying to concoct a bigger story here than there actually is, just because of your own personal opinion.
  • Options
    lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Irrelevant to my point, but... plenty of people watched the Globes before Gervais waddled along to host them, and they will continue to watch now he's gone. All he brought were a bunch of clumsy, badly delivered lines that no-one knew he'd say before he said them (so he can hardly be credited with bringing in viewers) and a bunch of fanboys who can't accept any criticism of him whatsoever.

Ah. True colours revealed. Not that they were exactly hidden to begin with. ;) When you have to resort to insults because your arguments are found wanting (as they have been here), you lose all credibility.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lexi22 wrote: »
    Ah. True colours revealed. Not that they were exactly hidden to begin with. ;) When you have to resort to insults because your arguments are found wanting (as they have been here), you lose all credibility.

I disagree. I don't think kalifire's argument was ''wanting'' at all. Infact, I think it was well articulated. Many FMs on DS Showbiz will make a thread about Katie Price, Kerry Katona etc who fully dislike them (not saying I like any of the above). I don't see why a dislike of Gervais some how devalues he/she's argument.

While I disagree with the use of the term ''fanboys'' a description of Gervais's GG performance is perfectly entitled since another FM brought it up during the argument. I don't think this story is a big deal, but then many other threads on DS Showbiz aren't a big deal either, yet they produce many pages of discussion.
  • Options
    Pugwash69Pugwash69 Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Gervais. I even have a copy of his talk show he did a few years back with Tony Green (of Darts commentary fame) supporting and lots of funny interviews. He can do no wrong in my book and makes me laugh.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    I thought Ricky was being quite moderate for him, I think the American media just tried to make this into a massive deal, American humer is more PC than british but I think they get it even if they aren't used to it. And they know what they're doing, it's a story to them. He'll most likely present next year:)
  • Options
    avidreaderavidreader Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm still waiting to see this statement that Kalfire referred to where the organisers apparently said that Ricky had been dishonest.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Ricky was being moderate for him, I'm not easily offended, but even to me his jokes seemed quite mild. On the other hand, they weren't that funny either.
  • Options
    technoguytechnoguy Posts: 2,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a bit embarrassing for Gervais, who looks like he's been caught trying to create favourable headlines for himself on the back of something he fabricated.

Earlier, he said this:

But on the back of this:

It appears he's tried to back-pedal and make out he nver meant the HFPA at all, just NBC:

This isn't the first time Gervais has tried putting word out about himself or his product to create an inflated sense of popularity, in fact, he does it all the time. Only this time it's come back to bite him and make him look quite silly.
    Looks like Ricky was telling the truth...

Ricky Gervais to host Golden Globes for third time

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-15768477
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    technoguy wrote: »
    Looks like Ricky was telling the truth...

Ricky Gervais to host Golden Globes for third time

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-15768477
    All rather embarrassing for the OP doncha think?:cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SinSeer wrote: »

Er... not at all. You just have to have an appreciation for that thing called TIME :rolleyes:

Gervais made up the fact that someone had asked him to return to host the Globes. Why else would the the president of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association say that he was basically talking out of his arse?

Later, they reconsidered and offered it to him. That doesn't mean he was right all along. It's not tough to understand :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I expect they did ask him, but said they hadn't while they made the decision (I'm totally guessing though). The decision's made now.

It's all good publicity anyway.

He's fab. Glad to see there are a few other fans on here - I thought I was the sole Gervais fan on DS.
  • Options
    HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Er... not at all. You just have to have an appreciation for that thing called TIME :rolleyes:

Gervais made up the fact that someone had asked him to return to host the Globes. Why else would the the president of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association say that he was basically talking out of his arse?

Later, they reconsidered and offered it to him. That doesn't mean he was right all along. It's not tough to understand :D
    Maybe the HFPA president was lying. You have no proof Ricky was, especially now he HAS been asked.
  • Options
    Forum Member

No he didn't. NBC asked him to consider it and were obviously lobbying the HFPA for his return, seeing as it was officially arranged now. The only one telling porky pies here is you.
  • Options
    UrMyStarUrMyStar Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blamhappy2 wrote: »
    I expect they did ask him, but said they hadn't while they made the decision (I'm totally guessing though). The decision's made now.

It's all good publicity anyway.

He's fab. Glad to see there are a few other fans on here - I thought I was the sole Gervais fan on DS.

It's like the majority of celebs on DS. It's the people who dislike them that talk about them the most, so fans seem to be in the minority.
  • Options
    jamiepondjamiepond Posts: 377
    Forum Member
    SinSeer wrote: »

yes incredibly embarrassing :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UrMyStar wrote: »
    It's like the majority of celebs on DS. It's the people who dislike them that talk about them the most, so fans seem to be in the minority.

Good point.

It might explain why DS never seems to truly reflect opinion on the street, although Gervais does undoubtedly attract a lot of strong dislike even away from the internet. He divides people.

For me, he's a comedy genius with a sense of ethics. Very clever man.